PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wheeeeee....back in the swing of it after a couple of very lean weeks :)

Today's trip to the Martin House Childrens Hospice shop found me a pair of knee high leather boots for £9. Brand new, still had the cardboard leg shaper thingies in and the toes stuffed with tissue paper. They are a very dark navy, almost black and are just perfect to go with a very dark navy coat that I got in an M & S 'end of sale' sale a few months ago. Half a size too big but nothing a thick pair of tights won't sort out. I couldn't see the make in the shop but now having searched inside with the aid of a torch :p I can see that they are Miss K G by Kurt Geiger so must have been fairly expensive! Before I spotted the boots I had picked up a nice quality Cotton Traders cream sweatshirt with a scoopy neck, in as new condition for £1.50. So happy :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Wheeeeee....back in the swing of it after a couple of very lean weeks :)

Today's trip to the Martin House Childrens Hospice shop found me a pair of knee high leather boots for £9. Brand new, still had the cardboard leg shaper thingies in and the toes stuffed with tissue paper. They are a very dark navy, almost black and are just perfect to go with a very dark navy coat that I got in an M & S 'end of sale' sale a few months ago. Half a size too big but nothing a thick pair of tights won't sort out. I couldn't see the make in the shop but now having searched inside with the aid of a torch :pI can see that they are Miss K G by Kurt Geiger so must have been fairly expensive! Before I spotted the boots I had picked up a nice quality Cotton Traders cream sweatshirt with a scoopy neck, in as new condition for £1.50. So happy :)
    Great bargain.

I saw a pair of Clarks knee-high boots, unworn in the hospice shop but they were too big. Size 4 and I wear socks with size 3. :(
    But they would have been too high in the leg anyway. £12 and a great bargain for some lucky lady.
    Also saw a lovely pair of Clarks ankle boots in the Sue Ryder shop but they were a size 5.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ADon't you just hate it when you can see someone has had a clear out and they have the same impeccable taste as you but they're two sizes smaller or larger or in my case 6 inches shorter!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Popped into a local charity shop today that is always busy, because of its ridiculously low prices (I have another of the same charity equidistant to me that is just silly with its prices). I headed for the books at the far end end of the shop, caught the eye of another customer en-route and returned his beaming smile.

I selected 3 humourous books for £1, and waited patiently in the queue, which gave me plenty of time to appraise the bric-a-brac. The same man was looking at some glasses and asked my opinion, which was positive. I then spied a giant mug and was debating the purpose with him - he felt it was decorative, I wanted it for tea! - and left it at that. A minute later I had a tap on the shoulder, this same chap handed me the following ceramic travel mug, a bit dusty but otherwise in perfect condition:

21zUE2MjvWL.jpg

At 10p I couldn't resist :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Options
    A pair of navy M&S exercise trousers (not leggings) £1.00 Air Ambulance. I'll wear these round the house as they're very comfy. Would also be good for travelling.

Also Air Ambulance was selling last year's Christmas cards for £1 a pack.
    I bought 3 packs and am on a mission to get some more for my sister.

A M&S Autograph Weekend tunic in navy and grey stripes with a red hem and bottom of sleeves. Cotton & cashmere, very soft. £3.30 Age UK. Looks great with opaque tights and ankle boots.
  • foxyloxy11
    Options
    Some great finds as usual Pollycat :)
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p I've been taking advantage of being on annual leave to visit a charity shop which sells everything at 50p. I can't normally get there on a weekday as it closes before I can get down there, and it's mobbed on Saturdays, for obvious reasons.

They have a lot of also-rans but also some real gems among the tired ex-primarche clothing. This week, I have bought a pair of Next lined white linen trousers, which will look divine with a summer top and sandals (they've been put away for next summer), a Per Una embroidered tunic-length blouse in a muted barely-there pink, several pairs of linen trousers in useful hues like navy and chocolate brown and my current favourite thing, a Hobbs gossamer-fine silvery-grey cardi in a mohair/ wool blend which is lacy and had bead detailing and is very warm but unbulky. For some bizarre reason it was racked with the nightwear........:rotfl:

Some of these things will be getting outings at the t'office next week and I am in expectation of compliments.:D
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Pollycat
    Options
    The Hobbs cardi sounds beautiful.
    Somebody probably thought it was a bed jacket. :rotfl:
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I'm going to look in the CS shop today when I drop off my donation. I am going to look for a couple of scruffy teddy bears for my dog to rip up. I remove the eyes first so she can't choke on them. It makes me feel a bit mean to the poor teddies, but they last as long as a proper dog toy and she loves them.:D

I will also look at the books in the shop as I keep spending too much money on books for my kindle!:o I prefer non-fiction but they don't usually have a great selection in CS. Hopefully I will be lucky.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Popped into a local charity shop today that is always busy, because of its ridiculously low prices (I have another of the same charity equidistant to me that is just silly with its prices).

Which shop is that? I think you said on here that the Spitalfields crypt shop was expensive? Sorry if I sound like a stalker, lol, but I thought I might take a wander up the district line to look at the CS round that area in the next couple of months.:)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The Hobbs cardi sounds beautiful.
    Somebody probably thought it was a bed jacket. :rotfl:
    :D Lol, I never even thought of that!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills