Refund on duplicate credit card transactions

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to post.

To cut a long story short, I've been charged twice for a transaction on a credit card (several 100 £s), and whilst the retailer involved have admitted the error and started a refund process, this will not complete in time to have the charges removed from my next bill.

I always pay my bills in full to avoid any interest, but I can't do this with the duplicate transaction on there.

Is there any thing I can do to get my credit card company to remove the charges in time for me not to have to pay them by this month's payment date?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you called and spoken to them?

I would do this then pay on full less the duplicated amount.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Dispute the duplicate amount officially with the CC. Once it's resolved all charges are also refunded.
  • Thanks - I have now contacted the card company and they have told me how to start the dispute process, but they say this can take up to 2 weeks (apparently I won't even get the forms to send back for another week and then they start looking into it), so it won't be resolved before the bill is due.

I guess I will just have to try to claim back the interest I am charged too!
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Thanks - I have now contacted the card company and they have told me how to start the dispute process, but they say this can take up to 2 weeks (apparently I won't even get the forms to send back for another week and then they start looking into it), so it won't be resolved before the bill is due.

I guess I will just have to try to claim back the interest I am charged too!

If its a UK based transaction. Then a duplicated transaction cannot be disputed for 15 days from date of debit.
    This is to allow retailer time to resolve the issue.

But what your card provider could do is place the item into dispute. Which freezes the transaction, as such it is not payable and no interest is payable.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • The transactions were posted on 17 January, so it's past that 15 day period now, but my credit card company say the official dispute procedure will take 2 weeks from now (I have to fill in paper forms for them to investigate).

I've decided to pay the bill minus the duplicate amount - at least the interest charges will be much less than me paying out and trying to get the duplicate charges back.

Just annoyed I am in this position through no fault of my own!
  • dalesrider
    The transactions were posted on 17 January, so it's past that 15 day period now, but my credit card company say the official dispute procedure will take 2 weeks from now (I have to fill in paper forms for them to investigate).

Just annoyed I am in this position through no fault of my own!

How are they taking this forward as Visa does not require any paperwork for a duplicate transation.
    Sounds to me they are doing it as a refund not processed which requires you to provide them with a refund reciept.

Sounds to me they are stating their own timescales and not VIsa's.
    End of the day in either case the retailer has 45 days to reject the chargeback.

No point venting at the card provider. It is the retailer that is at fault.
    Unless its a online transaction and you pressed submit twice.
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • Retailer has agreed that they are in error and have put duplicate transactions through, but it now appears to be stuck in their insanely long refund process (minimum 1 month but probably longer as it's an international transaction), and they have stopped responding to me, so I went to card provider to try to get it sorted before the bill became due.

It's a Mastercard, not Visa, if that makes any difference.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Go back to the card-issuer and escalate the matter.
  • dalesrider
    Retailer has agreed that they are in error and have put duplicate transactions through, but it now appears to be stuck in their insanely long refund process (minimum 1 month but probably longer as it's an international transaction), and they have stopped responding to me, so I went to card provider to try to get it sorted before the bill became due.

It's a Mastercard, not Visa, if that makes any difference.

Would think that both have the same regulations.

As its a international (you didn't say) then the 15 days does not stand. It can be actioned straight away.

Go back ask to speak to the team (disputes) who will action this and not the front line.
    Should get sorted quicker.
    Also given its a error the duplicate transaction should be placed into dispute so no interest is payable and the amount is released into your avaiable funds.
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • OK thanks for the replies, will try to get in contact direct with the disputes team at the CC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure