Ask Atos Healthcare disability assessment questions

Comments

• Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    Hi ATOS

According to one of your HCP, i would be cured from MS in 6 months, that was 2 years ago and i am still awaiting this cure?

I have it here in Black and White.

I am so desperate to be cured, so what is the big secret?
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Just a reminder of the original remit.

Subjects it can answer questions on include:

• Clarifications about the Work Capability Assessment questionnaire
    • Appointments/Assessments
    • Travel and travel expenses to the assessment
    • Home visits
    • Health Care Professionals and their qualifications (but not specific individuals)

It won't be able to answer questions on:

• The policy for decisions itself (DWP is responsible for this, not Atos)
    • The appeals process
    • The DWP staff who made the decision
    • Questions that would need your personal details
    • It can obviously only answer questions on the parts of the ESA Work Capability Assessment it carries out.

Thanks!

Question for the rep...

Does a HCP' specifically a NURSE have to identify themselves with their name and registration number in the same way that a Doctor must tell you his or her GMC number.
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Question for the rep...

Does a HCP' specifically a NURSE have to identify themselves with their name and registration number in the same way that a Doctor must tell you his or her GMC number.

What they are supposed to do and what they do in realty are too diffident things.

Its like getting blood out of a stone getting an ATOS doctor to give you there GMC number. Its problem the same with the nurses too.

Atos Rep. I would aslo like to know if Nurses should be telling you there NMC red number,

And can you also tell me why Doctors are tell the the people they see that they are not allowed to give there number out.

I admit that I don't know if its all of your Doctors but It has been reported that there are some that have not been giving this number out when asked.

Could you also tell us that any Doctor that gets reported to you as not giving there GMC number out , What sort of action to you take.
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • Mordred12 wrote: »
    A couple of questions for the Atos Rep. When making an appointment if you can not contact the person via a phonecall, would you leave a message on the answer phone?

Also what steps do you take to contact the person if you can not contact a person via a phonecall, Would you then try to contact the person via letter?

Can you answer this please?
  • halight

First Posted by: Margaret McCartney 20 November 2012

There can hardly be a GP in the land who has not noticed the mess that we are being invited to mop up over the Government’s work capability assessments.

The programme to reassess whether people on benefits are fit for work – as contracted out to the French technology company Atos at a cost of £100m a year1 – is creating distress in patients and additional workload for practices as many people are told to ask their GP for a letter to try and support their claim.

We are asked to fill in cursory forms that give space only for confirmation of the diagnosis; barely any space to describe the impact of illness on a patient. A doctor recently wrote in the BMJ about how difficult she found the process; how much worse is it for patients who are unused to form filling and bureaucracy?2

The fall-out for ordinary people is immense. Many people who have worked all their lives and who feel guilt and shame at being ‘burdens’ on the state find the process of claiming benefits humiliating and degrading.

There are multiple harms created for citizens that are going unmeasured – the ongoing stress of the uncertainty of the process has profound impacts on many people’s health.

The costs of this are not being borne by the company running the scheme; the NHS is bearing the brunt of them.

Earlier this year, the LMCs conference called for the process to be scrapped, saying it should be replaced with ‘a rigorous and safe system that does not cause avoidable harm to some of the weakest and most vulnerable in society’.

It is not a fair system (and there is copious evidence of its unfairness) and its failings will be borne by the most vulnerable. The stress caused by its inadequacies will be pushed on to the NHS.

==============

Taken from http://blacktrianglecampaign.org/201...frcgp-glasgow/

Please go to the site to read the full story.

It has also been published on other web sites.
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • halight
    Motion submitted to the STUC Annual Conference 17th April 2013 in Perth

Congress notes:

* Sponsors of the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow include ATOS.

* ATOS has been the object of sustained campaigning by disability rights activists, for reason of its conduct of Work Capability Assessments on behalf of the Con-Dem coalition, with the goal of driving people with disabilities off benefits.

Congress believes ATOS should not be allowed to exploit the Commonwealth Games as a source of publicity.

Congress therefore resolves to:

* Instruct the General Council to write to the Board and Executive Team of Glasgow 2014 calling on them to cancel ATOS’ sponsorship of the Games.

* Instruct the General Council to write to Glasgow City Labour Group urging them to support the demand that ATOS should not be accepted as a sponsor of the Games.

* Support campaigning by disability rights groups against ATOS sponsorship of the Games.
    =========================

Taken from the below site, But news item can be found of other sites
    Inc The Scottish TUC site.

http://blacktrianglecampaign.org/201...us-be-revoked/
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    Mordred12 wrote: »
    A couple of questions for the Atos Rep. When making an appointment if you can not contact the person via a phonecall, would you leave a message on the answer phone?

Also what steps do you take to contact the person if you can not contact a person via a phonecall, Would you then try to contact the person via letter?
    Mordred12 wrote: »
    I only asked because a family member can not answer the phone due to her having panic attacks, she does not like speaking to people she does not know. We put all this on the form and that just seeing the Atos doctor is making her get very stressed out.

We asked for all communications to be done through me.

Hi Mordred12

A letter will be issued with an appointment on it if no contact is made by phone for whatever reason. We do not leave messages on answer phones for confidentiality reasons.

It isn’t clear from your 2nd post whether DWP have formally authorised you as the appointee for your family member. If you have gone through that process then contact will be with you, otherwise it will primarily still be with the claimant, but this can be in writing.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Atos_Healthcare_representative
    Atos_Healthcare_representative Posts: 221 Organisation Representative
    dori2o wrote: »
    Final question.

How is it possible for ATOS to declare a person Unfit for work during a Occupational Health Assessment for any of the Government departments they provide the service to (including the staff at DWP), and then find the same person Fit for Work under the WCA?

It seems to me you are dipping your fingers into too many pies. It is certainly a conflict of interest.

Hi dori2o,

Atos Healthcare carries out both occupational healthcare and disability assessments on behalf of a number of different clients in the Public and Private sectors. These two assessments are not the same and have different objectives. An occupational healthcare assessment is designed to see if somebody is able to do their current job, while a disability assessment looks at what people can do and if they are capable of undertaking some work.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Atos Healthcare. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Given the targets Atos are given isn't the objective of the disability assessments fail as many people as possible irrespective of the severity of the conditions?
  • Hi Mordred12

A letter will be issued with an appointment on it if no contact is made by phone for whatever reason. We do not leave messages on answer phones for confidentiality reasons.

It isn’t clear from your 2nd post whether DWP have formally authorised you as the appointee for your family member. If you have gone through that process then contact will be with you, otherwise it will primarily still be with the claimant, but this can be in writing.

Thank you for the advice. The Dwp told me to send a letter with the Esa50 form which authorised myself as the appointee.

I have just phoned the Dwp and they said that Atos do not send a letter out if no contact can be made by phone... She said the Esa50 form would simply be sent back to the dwp for a final decision...
    Can you confirm this is not the case and that you do contact a person via letter if you cannot contact a person via phone?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure