The sewing thread

Comments

• Fuddle I use safety pins for basting quilts
  • Hi Sewers, happy Christmas to you all.
    Today I dropped off the pressies for my DD and family. The thing that has made me feel all festive the most is my pressie for youngest DGD (9) and her new stepsister (10), the sewing machine. This evening I let my eldest grandson (14) into the secret about their pressie and he said he had done a bit in school and will help them with the threading up, & following instructions, if they want to try it before I can get there to see them.
    I know they are going to be so chuffed with this, and that sharing won`t be a problem. (My DD has 5 children, now mother to 6, and the way they have all just so naturally absorbed their lovely new sister into their family makes me so proud of them all, and of the way DD has brought them up, and settled the newbie in. DD was sterilised after youngest of 5, so this year it`s like an extra blessing none of us could have foreseen, an extra one to love!) I have asked DD to take a few pics as I won`t be there, I want to see their faces when they open the shared pressie. The girls getting the sewing machine are very creative and I`m so looking forward to helping them to be confident little sewers, I have NO doubt that they will. I`m looking forward to some trips to Abakhan with them, and ready to have ideas exchanged and we can all inspire each other.

I am v. interested in the jumpers folks have mentioned here, and have a plan to show the girls some of the links, as some of my stash will lend itself to such projects.... especially as less fabric needed for young skinny folks than an old fatty like their grandma!

I can`t commit to posting pictures as I`m still doing my photo`s on old camera, but it`s great when you do get a film developed as there`s stuff you had forgotten about by the time you finish the film!

Thanks again to Kittie for this thread and best wishes to all you sewers, hope you all have a great Christmas and look forward to sharing ideas and encouragement etc. next year.
    God Bless,
    Emm xxx
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    happy Christmas everyone

Pinkladyvenus, I'm so glad the link helped - I'll have to look at it myself, I'm really naughty about looking after my machine.

I always have a very quiet Boxing Day just pottering about. I had a go at that tote bag I linked to using some leftover red fabric for a friend whose favourite colour it is. I did the inside in a thin red polycotton from the stash but the outside was a quilting cotton and it came out surprisingly bulky. It won't fold down into a slim pacakage so I think it's a wadder. However perhaps others can learn from my mistake
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Christmas Eve, I was suffering from - a nasty cold? Flu? - something horrible, & I was way behind with festive preps thanks to my mother being under the weather again. But two things put new heart into me; a short walk along the riverbank at dusk with Dd1, which seemed to clear my poor aching sinuses, and realising after supper that I'd mislaid the Christmas stockings for my two DDs... up to the "sewing studio" (spare bedroom really) out with the remains of a couple of moth-eaten tartan wool blankets (which I've felted & been using to re-cover footstools & make cushions & little decorations with), a stained lace-edged tablecloth and the sewing machine, and half an hour later I had two rather festive stockings made up! Will add pics when the girls relinquish them.

I'm planning to spend the next couple of months stitching in the evenings whenever possible... oh, it's a hard life!
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £379.50/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Howdy folks hope you all had a fab Christmas!

I'm up for the tote challenge, I have made a few very simple totes out of a lovely upholstery fabric with foxes on. Its nice for totes as it adds some structure to them. They seem to be something I can reliably make and not mess up! Will challenge myself to make a slightly more complicated design/line it this time!

Someone was asking about Burda patterns. So far in my limited experience Burda has been my most successful make. Mum and I went one size up from my usual dress size as we figured easier to take in than increase the size, and the finished design fitted nicely. It was a halter neck top and I'm rather blessed in the boob department, so overall a good decision! :rotfl:

Would love to see pictures of peoples makes!
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Oh my word, I have the spatial awareness of a gnat so trying to do my first ever pocket in a pair of PJs is really really hard!! Will keep going though - think it's sinking in!
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Pockets in jammy bottoms are fab Mumof2. Patch pockets on the back work for me too. Not enough women's clothes have pockets!

I've not forgotten the tote challenge. I'll go through the thread and list the names of those who wish to participate. Must have a look through my stash and see what I have. Quite fancy something big with straps long enough to put it over my shoulder. If I have enough fabric I'll line it too.

My poor wee Singer was put away for Xmas, time she came back out. Does anyone name their sewing machine? Mines is called Gem :rotfl:
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I would like to line my tote but have to learn how to first.

DH gave me a big girls sewing machine for Christmas so my girls can have the mini. I'm still on with my quilt top after unpicking my disaster as it shifted. I know to work from the middle this time and go slowly. I will use safety pins this time WCS but a mike away from that stage again.
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    katkin wrote: »
    My poor wee Singer was put away for Xmas, time she came back out. Does anyone name their sewing machine? Mines is called Gem :rotfl:

I have a Jem (Janome) and Ian (overlocker) - don't ask!!
    Save
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Just a quick post to alert folks to the Abakhan sale, it`s on for another week, plus for those lucky enough to be near a store to go in person the `button surprise` thing is back on (you pick a button out of a sock and get an extra bit -or lot - of discount depending what colour button you pick out.
    I wenmt to my nearest on Friday and increased my stash quite cheapily, had a great day out!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback