Use Vegetable Oil If You Have A Diesel Car

Comments

• redux wrote: »
    An enclosed metal vessel is better; converted oil drums or hot water cylinders are a popular basis for designs that can be built for modest costs, and discussion of these can be found on forums.

Meanwhile, I'm using commercially made bio at 92 pence a litre, in a Xantia HDI.

I am very close to buying one of these:

http://www.biofuels4less.co.uk/?page=freddy

For the very reasons stated above. I can get free waste veg oil. This will produce 100 litres at a time, does not need titration, is self contained and only requires about 20 minutes of user time per 100l batch. It isn't the cheapest way, but it is fully self contained. I drive 40,000 miles per year and I reckon I will break even in about 6 months, so to me its a no brainer!
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)

• BTW, have you seen what the price of veg oil is doing ATM ?

blackcat.gif

If you buy in bulk you should not have a problem. If you have it delivered to your house in say 1000 litres at a time in 20 litre drums. however i have read somewhere if you can get palm oil into your tank and are able to keep it warm(tank0 then that works even better than oil.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    I am very close to buying one of these:

http://www.biofuels4less.co.uk/?page=freddy

For the very reasons stated above. I can get free waste veg oil. This will produce 100 litres at a time, does not need titration, is self contained and only requires about 20 minutes of user time per 100l batch.

I was surprised to see them mention the 2500 free duty in their video but as they did not mention which sort of oil they were referring to I guess it is ok, depending on the exact process. But certainly if you use WVO (as you said that is what you willl be using) it does not qualify for the free duty status.

To qualify for the free duty status your bio fuel must be clean inc amongst other things sulphur content. So far it is known that someone has had Pura (rapeseed) SVO oil and a batch of WVO tested (in Germany I believe) at great expense. The SVO passed, the WVO failed miserably.

If you are a low user using your 2,500 quota, you don't have to tell HMC&E but you do have to sure that your fuel meets the requirements, and they can ask you to prove it if they ever catch you. Someone using SVO can just show their reciepts and empty containers saying 100% rapeseed oil - HMC&E have hinted that this would be sufficient proof. But someone using WVO would not be abole to so easily show their fuel meets the specification.

You could of course just take the view that they will never be so pedantic with the small volume personal user, but it is something to be aware of.
  • Wig wrote: »
    I was surprised to see them mention the 2500 free duty in their video but as they did not mention which sort of oil they were referring to I guess it is ok, depending on the exact process. But certainly if you use WVO (as you said that is what you willl be using) it does not qualify for the free duty status.

To qualify for the free duty status your bio fuel must be clean inc amongst other things sulphur content. So far it is known that someone has had Pura (rapeseed) SVO oil and a batch of WVO tested (in Germany I believe) at great expense. The SVO passed, the WVO failed miserably.

If you are a low user using your 2,500 quota, you don't have to tell HMC&E but you do have to sure that your fuel meets the requirements, and they can ask you to prove it if they ever catch you. Someone using SVO can just show their reciepts and empty containers saying 100% rapeseed oil - HMC&E have hinted that this would be sufficient proof. But someone using WVO would not be abole to so easily show their fuel meets the specification.

You could of course just take the view that they will never be so pedantic with the small volume personal user, but it is something to be aware of.

At the moment you have the chance of using the freebie handed out by hmcr. When they stop this or put more stoppages on it then there is going to be a outcry.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON

The point is that bio diesel produced from WVO is carbon neutral. There is no sulphur added in the manufacturing process. Sulphur is added to diesel as part of the manufacturing process.

HMRC make no distinction to using PVO or WVO in their website:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_026553&propertyType=document#downloadopt
  • If you buy in bulk you should not have a problem. If you have it delivered to your house in say 1000 litres at a time in 20 litre drums. however i have read somewhere if you can get palm oil into your tank and are able to keep it warm(tank0 then that works even better than oil.

Of course it makes a difference. It makes a huge difference.

If the price of the raw material (veg oil) continues to rise in leaps and bounds (as it is doing), so the cost of your 20 lt/50lt/1000lt veg oil fuel is going to rise accordingly.

blackcat.gif
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    The point is that bio diesel produced from WVO is carbon neutral. There is no sulphur added in the manufacturing process. Sulphur is added to diesel as part of the manufacturing process.

HMRC make no distinction to using PVO or WVO in their website:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_026553&propertyType=document#downloadopt

I can't read pdf files temporarily, so can't read what you linked to. All I do know is that HMC&E have stressed to people enquiring that the fuel substitute they use must comply with the standards for biodiesel to be eligible for the duty free status. And they have hinted that SVO would be ok.

HMC&E have always (in the past) been as vague as possible as to what qualifies and what does not. They do not like making definitive statements such as SVO is qualifying and WVO is not. Because they know there are different qualities of SVO and WVO... All they care about officially is that they have a standard on bio diesel / bio fuel cleanliness. and they say you MUST be able to show your fuel meets the standard. How you will do that with WVO is beyond me.

The reason -I guess, (not having the benefit of actually being able to read the webpage) - they do not distinguish between SVO and WVO is because they never do, they only refer to their standard either directly or indirectly by just using the term "Biodiesel" which refers to a bio fuel which meets their standard.
    I can't read pdf files temporarily, so can't read what you linked to. All I do know is that HMC&E have stressed to people enquiring that the fuel substitute they use must comply with the standards for biodiesel to be eligible for the duty free status. And they have hinted that SVO would be ok.

HMC&E have always (in the past) been as vague as possible as to what qualifies and what does not. They do not like making definitive statements such as SVO is qualifying and WVO is not. Because they know there are different qualities of SVO and WVO... All they care about officially is that they have a standard on bio diesel / bio fuel cleanliness. and they say you MUST be able to show your fuel meets the standard. How you will do that with WVO is beyond me.

The reason -I guess, (not having the benefit of actually being able to read the webpage) - they do not distinguish between SVO and WVO is because they never do, they only refer to their standard either directly or indirectly by just using the term "Biodiesel" which refers to a bio fuel which meets their standard.

Have tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox is full. If you want a copy of the HMRC PDF, PM me and I will email to you.
  • Can you spot a trend here? Cooking oil straight you need a conversion kit. Biodiesel for anything diesel between 94-2003 roughly. From the pump its around 92p. To make at home its around 30p after an outlay of around £100 if you DIY a brew tank up and get the oil cheap and chemicals in bulk.

Thing is, it aint that bio. The amount of electricity needed to cook the stuff and the other ingrediants make it about nuteral after all the energy has been put in.
  • Can you spot a trend here? Cooking oil straight you need a conversion kit. Biodiesel for anything diesel between 94-2003 roughly. From the pump its around 92p. To make at home its around 30p after an outlay of around £100 if you DIY a brew tank up and get the oil cheap and chemicals in bulk.

Thing is, it aint that bio. The amount of electricity needed to cook the stuff and the other ingrediants make it about nuteral after all the energy has been put in.

That is if you cook it. How about converting then putting it straight into your tank ? Also if you have enough space then why not buy a few hundred gallons of oil in 25 ltr cans ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure