how to withdraw cash from a overseas bank account

Hi all,

long time lurker first time poster.

I did have a good search and i'm not sure if this is the best place to post my question/discussion so Mods, please feel free to re-direct me, thanks.

please try to bear with me. i will try to make my story as simple as possible.

basically i was previously living and working in Kenya in 2011 for 6 months. i left at christmas time thinking i would have my job to go back to but turns out i didnt. because of this i didn't withdraw the cash in my bank account before i left (approx £1000 plus worth)

i left my bank card with a trusted friend and the pincode thinking that, if need be, he could withdraw it and transfer the cash to me. unfortunately this isn't working (not sure why? wrong pin number possibly)

does anyone know of the best way in which i can get the money from my account. my friend can take a picture of my card and send to me so i have all the details.

would anyone be aware of any rules on inactive accounts and claiming my money or is this bank and country specific information?

one idea i had was to transfer the funds to paypal. i'm not sure if this would work though as in the past i remember they had to send a code on my bank statement to add the card to my paypal account.

another idea might be to just keep ordering things on the internet until the balance goes? i would rather have the cash though.

if i cant get to this money i think i might have to take a trip back to kenya and withdraw the cash in person. basically it should cover the cost of my flight and trip but would rather spend my holiday elsewhere and keep the cash

all thoughts and idea are most welcome.
thanks for reading :)

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Ring them and ask.

They would probably accept a written instruction to send a SWIFT payment or similar to a UK bank account.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    4ze wrote: »
    i left my bank card with a trusted friend and the pincode thinking that, if need be, he could withdraw it and transfer the cash to me. unfortunately this isn't working (not sure why? wrong pin number possibly)

How do you know it isn't working?
    Why don't you know the exact reason it isn't working?
    How do you know the money is still in your bank account?
  • 4ze
    4ze Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    innovate wrote: »
    How do you know it isn't working?
    Why don't you know the exact reason it isn't working?
    How do you know the money is still in your bank account?

my friend said the pin isn't being accepted at the ATM so i am guessing it is because the code is invalid and not that the account has been closed.

i feel i should add that my trust in my friend unreservedly.

i never thought of calling them. probably because it is an awfully run bank i remember from my short experience with them
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    So you are certain the money is still in your account?
    How would you normally check what is in your account?
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2013 at 9:21PM
    i feel i should add that my trust in my friend unreservedly.

Oh for a £1 every time I heard that one....... After said person had emptied acc.

Plain and simple you are right in the mire if they have taken any funds from your account.
    Never mind a total breech of the T/C on the account.
    i never thought of calling them. probably because it is an awfully run bank i remember from my short experience with them

So how are you checking on your account?

You could also try Western union. Very good at getting funds in a hurry to far flung parts of the world.

My money is on said friend has spent the cash and is stalling you.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • 4ze
    really, he hasn't taken the funds.

apart from being a close friend for years, he has no need for the money. he earns far more than i do and doesn't need it.

i haven't been checking my account at all. not once. so can't be certain it is there unless the bank closed the account.

western union might be worth a try. i'm sure they would take a nice chunk if i transfer £1000 plus but better most than none
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    I could also add that its not uncommon for counterfiet cards to be produced in Africa and used while people are there.
    So that could be another issue.

You do really need to get in touch with the bank and find out.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post

western union might be worth a try. i'm sure they would take a nice chunk if i transfer £1000 plus but better most than none

Huh?

How are you going to get the funds from your bank account into Western Union if you / your friend can't withdraw any cash, and you don't seem to have any other option to even view the status of your account?

Are you for real?
  • 4ze
    innovate wrote: »
    Huh?

How are you going to get the funds from your bank account into Western Union if you / your friend can't withdraw any cash, and you don't seem to have any other option to even view the status of your account?

Are you for real?

yes sir, i can assure i am for real.

i thought it might be possible to charge it to my card. there is a Visa sign on my card
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ok, good luck then. Let us know how you got on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure