PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help with foreign object in food

Options
Have spent ages wondering where to put this question, please move if necessary!:o

I bought a food item which DS bit into yesterday and there was a piece of very sharp stone. There was a huge cracking noise as he did so!

I am obviously concerned that it could be a faulty batch or may need a product recall. The store will refund and replace the item but I am wondering whether I'd be better going to Trading Standards? This is fair enough but what happens a few weeks down the line if DS needs dental treatment, which as we all know is very expensive now.

I am also worried that if the store just refunds/replaces they might not bother to check further than that and there could be people all over the country finding sharp stones in their food.

Not sure which way to go with this so any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If I were you I would take your son straight away to the dentist and explain what happened, and have him checked, so at least you have something officially documented by the relevant health professional.

Immediately after, contact the store and product manufacturer by letter and copy it to your Trading Standards office (usually in the local council). Inform them of what happens, ask for a refund for the purchase and for some compensation for the distress that your son suffered, and warn them that if there is any dental cost involved you will pass the cost on to them.

If they make it difficult, go to your local CAB, they should be able to help with compensation, or point you in the right direction.

HTH

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Mrembo
    Mrembo Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The store concerned will take the issue seriously and might take measures to ensure that it does not happen again.Needless to say they have broken the law and they are in for a huge fine considering they have broken food safety act 1990

Contact the store first then report the matter to local eho.Whatever you do don't let the store have the evidence.The eho will require the stone for further investigation and maybe prosecution.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Pennylane wrote: »
    Have spent ages wondering where to put this question, please move if necessary!:o

I bought a food item which DS bit into yesterday and there was a piece of very sharp stone. There was a huge cracking noise as he did so!

I am obviously concerned that it could be a faulty batch or may need a product recall. The store will refund and replace the item but I am wondering whether I'd be better going to Trading Standards? This is fair enough but what happens a few weeks down the line if DS needs dental treatment, which as we all know is very expensive now.

I am also worried that if the store just refunds/replaces they might not bother to check further than that and there could be people all over the country finding sharp stones in their food.

Not sure which way to go with this so any help is appreciated.

Can I ask what sort of food item this was :confused: and how big was the stone - can you attach a picture, please :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to telephone them as soon as possible and tell them you found a dangerous sharp object in one of their food items. They need to know this now, not several days later when any potentially contaminated items have been sold to unsuspecting customers.

If you feel the need you can still contact trading standards over this. Having already contacted the store doesn't stop you contacting them as well. In fact they might well wonder why you haven't first contacted the store. You can also follow up with a letter if you feel the need.

However, initially letting them know as soon as possible by the quickest method available is important.
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Options
    Mrembo wrote: »
    .Whatever you do don't let the store have the evidence.

Yes, this is quite important. I found a (live and wriggling) small worm in a chicken sandwich from a bakers. When I sent it back to them with the remains of the sandwich as per their request, they mysteriously found via their 'investigations' that it was 'a hard woody substance'. I wrote back asking how a piece of wood had managed to wriggle halfway across my workdesk...?
  • Kentishmaid_2
    Options
    You must do something about the stone....... I would go to the dentist but in the mean time ring the supermarket to tell them and then go in with the stone explain to customer service and ask for the manager. If you don't think their response is good enough go to Trading standards.

Good luck.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have now spoken to the Head Office and they have taken all the details (batch no, bar codes etc) and someone from quality control will ring me back.

Wigglebeena - I know what you're saying!;) This also happened to someone I know.
  • randyravingrhian
    Options
    Hiya, Contact the Environmental Health Dept at your Local Council. They will have a department who deal with and will investigate any food safety and food hygiene complaints. (Trading Standards deal with food standards/labelling etc stuff, rather than food safety stuff). HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure