PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No bond or agent fees, weary?

Comments

• Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Hi all, ive mentioned the company it was on with in my last post.
    My husband spoke to him last night as we had a viewing arranged for tomorrow.
    The person i am in contact with is the actual owner along with a friend of his, he said he also owns a couple of other homes on that road and also the local pub.
    It will be another tenant showing us around tomorrow as he doesnt live in that town.

The site that its listed under on zoopla is his company and has other houses on it.

He was happy to do a 12 month or even 24 month tenancy, whichever we prefer.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have looked on Zoopla and the only accommodation that I can find that is around £450 per month is for a room in a shared house. This one for example is a shared flat. https://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/45629198?search_identifier=0356de624b676920f78af52858513542#L6bBrlX43ka41S2R.97 It is £450 for a bond for each of 4 students who will all being paying £433 per month. The monthly rent for the property is £1732 per month.

I can't find any whole 4 bed properties to let at either £750 or £450 per month. Only house shares where the cost is for each room.
  • Cakeguts
    Jm90 wrote: »
    Hi all, ive mentioned the company it was on with in my last post.
    My husband spoke to him last night as we had a viewing arranged for tomorrow.
    The person i am in contact with is the actual owner along with a friend of his, he said he also owns a couple of other homes on that road and also the local pub.
    It will be another tenant showing us around tomorrow as he doesnt live in that town.

The site that its listed under on zoopla is his company and has other houses on it.

He was happy to do a 12 month or even 24 month tenancy, whichever we prefer.

When you say another tenant do you mean another tenant who will be sharing the house with you?

I looked on Zoopla and I couldn't find any houses in that price bracket that were not being rented by room.
  • Jm90 wrote: »
    Thanks all for the reply. I would have left the carpets down anyway when leaving and i would have definitely made sure this was a long tenancy.
    The house is on for sale with a different company altogether. He sent me their link as more pictures on their page.
    Most of our conversation has been quite short i. Responses to me which i find strange.

Like i say I'm new to it all and ive asked to view this sat. I just thought if it was a scam, would ve not be asking for money, not knocking it off.
    I have searched him up online and says hes a estate agent.

Im so desperate to get from here i thought i best ask as something just doesn't feel right.

The carpets just looks grubby to be honest, no noticeable holes that i can see

Listen to Your Gut instinct and stay away from that property, especially with Kids and You not knowing if the gas boiler / appliances are safe in the house
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Cakeguts
    I will tell you about the way the usual scam with property rentals works. What happens is that someone advertises a property that looks like a good price. When you make and appointment to view you are told that you will be shown around by someone not the landlord. The reason given as to why the landlord cannot show you round is because they don't live locally. This is usually because the advertised property is not owned by the landlord it owned by someone completely different. In some cases the tenant renting it shows you round.

Do not give any money to the person showing your round to hold the property for you. Do not send any money in the post to the landlord. Do not do anything about this property until you have found out who owns it.

A good landlord does not arrange for some other person to show you their property. You are either shown round by the landlord or the letting agent.

Do not pay any money to anybody concerning this property until you have made checks on the ownership.
    If a property looks too good to be true then it is. Landlords do not let nice properties for a lot less than they can get.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    Can you post the zoopla link with a space or their reference number?
  • Jm90
    Ok, so we viewed the property, there was a builder in there doing some works who let us in.
    The whole house is what is on offer, not shared.

Although cheap, it does need work and making into a home.

I spoke to some of the neighbours and the man working there, the landlord does own the hotel/pub at the end of the road and other houses too, i knew that to be true after looking online and trying to find out more about the landlord in question.

Neighbourhood looked nice, clean and tidy, as well as the neighbours

After speaking to a lady in the local cafe, she said that people come and go because of lack of work.
    Employment is not a worry for us at the moment. I know things can change. My husband id used to commuting anyway and has people who sub for him too, i work from home.

What i would like to know, if we were to go for this property what things we should make sure are in writing.

Should we have the gas/electric certificates ourselves?

Do we just read the tenancy like we did for our home here (housing association)
    Or better to get someone to look over it?

I know people probably think im being naive, but i need to get from this place, its making me ill, my neighbour is vile and i cannot cope any longer living here. (Which is why i need every basis covered)
    The area now is mainly pensioners.
  • Jm90
    Ive not been asked for any money yet at all.

Thanks
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need to think very carefully before giving up a secure Housing Association tenancy and moving into private rented. Have you spoken to the HA about your neighbour? Have you looked for a house swap?
  • Cakeguts
    What are you going to do if the landlord of the new place changes his mind after 6 months and asks you to leave? Private renting is for people who don't mind moving a lot. You might get lucky and get a landlord who is happy for you to stay for years and years but you might not. Also they can put the rent up a lot too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure