British Gas default RE-ADDED after 6 years

Comments

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 January 2017 at 6:42PM
    No they never mentioned compo lol :rotfl: but to be fair to them I did only state In the email that I would look for compensation if they carried on reporting the incorrect information when clearly it was not the correct thing to do which they have now agreed to stop doing so see if they now stick to there word

Aiming something high to your own advantage.

You use statute bar letter for something they have not reported. But they have reported it which have damaged your credibility and credit worthiness.

They have done something illegal by reporting something which is statute bar and you have proof of it in writing.

They have been wasting your time, causing distress, etc ??

Ask for compensation to both to CRAs and BG.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    The OP hasn't suffered any loss, unless they were refused credit as a result of this.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2017 at 8:18PM
    The OP hasn't suffered any loss, unless they were refused credit as a result of this.

If you just think that you could only get compensation when there is tangible loss then you are not aware how people in this forum play the compensation game.

To give example, about a months ago, people get compensation vary ranging from £25 to £50 just because Nationwide forgot to add the interest (e.g late 1-2 days) but people already move their money leaving it minimum balance so if you count the actual loss is only a few pence but people get compensation ranging from £25 - £50. The name of game here is "incompetency" which could damage their reputation should the case go public.

This case is something really serious as might fall into "illegal game" which might damage their reputation even bigger. People could also sell the story to tabloid put it in the headline that BG and CRAs have done something illegal. What is the cost of reputational damage ???

Also people might be raising issue with distress, embarrassment, opportunity cost with time dealing with this issue, etc The OP might also count the time spend to draft and then post the story, reading on MSE and charge it against his professional rate, lol.

Compensation aiming £1,000+ might not sound high ...
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    This has happened to me as well, and the debt is from 2009.

I shall follow the above advice, I'm fuming
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • kgw1009
    kgw1009 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Me too.... added in Jan to Equifax for a default year expired mid December. Cheeky gets.
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    kgw1009 wrote: »
    Me too.... added in Jan to Equifax for a default year expired mid December. Cheeky gets.

I tweeted British Gas and its now been resolved - don't bother ringing them, they were useless on phone. Email and twitter seemed to do the job
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Nd6iPiX.png
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Wow Same boat! More than a coincidence! Moved out 01/10. Default registered 09/16!!?? No contact in between. Hopefully can get removed. Was just about to apply for a mortgage so good thing i checked! :eek::eek::eek:
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • British Gas are clearly in breach of DP legislation, and my bet is they know they are but they don't care. In any event, this company is by far and away the worst offender when it comes to malicious credit reporting. However, the real issue here is one of data processing. What sort of antiquated, badly designed, systems are the CRAs running, that allow rogue operators like British Gas to do this sort of thing? The CRAs are almost as culpable as BG and also need taking to task by the ICO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure