Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) Appeal Advice Required

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this was best put in this forum, or in the Armed Forces forum.. although, I'm sure it'll get shifted if needs be!

I'm after a bit of advice really following the decision given regarding my AFCS claim.

The story...

I suffered a back injury 3 years ago, and was given a 'light-duties' based job and a permanent medical downgrading for the remainder of my career in the military (my contract ended in Sept 2008). Within the 3 years I was given repeat-prescription codeine and and diclofenac drugs, as well as amitriptyline to help with the pain. I also attended no end of physio sessions and pain-management courses. However, it wasn't until literally my final week of service that my military-GP referred me for an MRI scan at the local hospital.

In October 2008 I submitted a claim for compensation under the AFCS, and continued to visit my new civvy-GP and await appts with the hospital. It wasn't until earlier this week that I attended a follow-up appt to see the reslts of my MRI scan. It showed that I have a mildly-bulging disc in my lumbar spine, and the 2 discs above this are enlarged somewaht (although I'm none the wiser as to what this means!). The doc advised me to try and stay active to help the self-healing process, although I will not see a 100% improvement. It is now in the hands of my local GP as to further physio etc.

Today, I received a letter from the SPVA informing me that they are 'pleased' to inform me that they will offer me £2,888 compensation for my injury, and that it will be paid as soon as possible (I bet it will!). If you don't know already, the armed forces pay out on a scale of 1-15 (with 1 being the most severe of injuries, and level 15 being a 'broken finger nail'). The award they are offering as been indicated as Level 14 - Low Back Pain Syndrome. I am not impressed with this decision and have just (whilst writing this) spoken to the British Legion about asking for a re-consideration request.

In the meantime, I have researched the 'net a little and found articles suggesting that a 'disc' injury is a contained spinal disorder, and in most cases is permenant to an extent, and may well cause restrictions and limitations for the duration of my working career (I'm now 27, and was a technician before I fell victim to the injury). With this in mind, I would expect the decision to be a little higher up the scale than what I have been offered.

So far, I have been advised to receive a letter from the hospital confirming the results, and to get a letter wrote by my GP to support my case. I also have a first appt with the local jobcentre on Monday, with my incapacity benefit 'advisor' - maybe s/he may be able to help in some way?.

Does anyone have any further advice with regards this matter, and what else I should consider?

Thanks for your time :)

MT

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills