Unconventional roof material, corrugated steel

My mother's, who lives in a Highland cottage, home insurance renewal quote is double last years. The reason given is the house has an "unconventional roof material," it's 13/3 polyester coated steel (corrugated iron with that nice wavy profile), a very traditional roof material in the her area. It's very durable, storm proof and cheap to replace.

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that doesn't have a problem with it?

(My first post, so Hi everyone!)

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    paddyandstumpy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it's common in that area try a local broker (not Swinton) who should have some experience in where to place this risk.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pretty standard roof material in many countries.

As stated contact a local Insurance brokers. Many Insurers might treat it as standard, but can't think of which Insurers, as it will be somewhere in their underwriting guidelines. Brokers should know this, saving you many phone calls.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    When I lived in Highland Perthshire my house was roofed with cedar tiles. For most of the time I was there insurance wasn't a problem, but for the final 2 years the mainstream insurers (apart from NFU Mutual, although they were expensive) changed their underwriting conditions to deem it a non-standard material. As has been suggested, I went to a local broker and they managed to find an insurer at a cost that wasn't too extortionate.
  • Thanks for the replies, I shall do as suggested and post again with the results at some point.
  • Hi again, phoned a local agent and they advised me, free of charge (this is the Highlands, I'm friends with his brother), to try Saga, which my mother was happy with as she used to be with them. So after about an hour on the phone and "I'll need to speak to my manager" kind of stuff, not only got a cheaper quote but one that less than what she was previously paying! Result!

Once again, thanks for the advice.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    New customer discount. It will go back up next year :)
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure