EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?

Comments

• Oops - well what a slacker I've been! :rotfl: And so soon into the year as well - very poor of me!

Cumbria Lass we went to all three of the upcoming beer festivals last year as well - and thoroughly enjoyed them all! :beer:

Norwich accommodation made up for the cheap one for Derby as the Premier Inn there is always a pricey one annoyingly. It's central, convenient, and the parking isn't too expensive on top though, so we stick with it. I've also now booked some accommodation for a trip we're making later in the year which amusingly cost almost the same for 2 nights as Norwich cost for 1! :rotfl: Oh well! Still need to book my Derby travel and I can do that now as I know what times others are planning to get there. :T

Shopping at the weekend stayed within limits - £20 in ThaT supermarkeT which included 2 boxes of cereal for MrEH as it was on offer. £7 odd in Al's for stuff that would have cost me nearly £2 more had I bought it in T's. :T Then £15 in the Farm Shop on Sunday but that doesn't come from the regular food budget - about £10 of it was beer, and we also got the oranges for this year's marmalade making session which commenced last night. :T I gather from MrEH that he can't make the second batch until he gets some more jars from the garage, but this also means that all the jars that were cluttering the shelf up are now back in use so hurrah for that!

Further spendiness on Sunday was on the clothing side - needed a new sports bra as my old one is a) a bit too big now and b) wasn't as supportive as it might have been when it was newer :o. Found that the shop at the outlet village had a Buy One Get another half price offer on their already discounted prices so got myself 2 x Shock Absorber Ultimate Run Bras for £45 which I was happy with. Also bought my new pair of walking shoes (same style as my current pair so I know they work for me) for £30, and grabbed a pair of cropped trousers in Weird Fish reduced to £16 - I'm painfully aware that when summer hits I'm going to be back in the position of having almost no clothes that fit so it seems sensible to grab decent stuff at a good price when I see it. :T

My challenge to exercise every day this month is still on track I'm pleased to say - and, guess what? On Saturday I completed the Couch to 5K programme AND ran my first parkrun! :T:T:T SO pleased with myself - I really never thought that was anything I'd be able to do just a few months ago and now I am - amazing feeling! :D I've also been doing lots of walking, quite a lot of short High Intensity sessions, have been sticking to going to the gym once a week and generally doing quite a lot of moving. :T

All good then - this week is a quiet one until the weekend - I'm planning to run tonight and probably Thursday, and gym tomorrow, then hoping the weather stays good enough that I can head to Scampton on Friday - not been up for ages! Saturday I might do parkrun again - we'll see, and on Sunday MrEH and I are popping into London for the Festival of Light thing which was excellent when we went back in 2016 so we're looking forward to that! We'll get lunch somewhere up there as well so there WILL be spendiness! :D
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • well done on the couch to 5k and the park run.
  • Well done on the running, very impressive :T and great bargains on the clothes.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Thanks ladies! :D

All ticking over then - and finally I am starting to make a bit of an impact on the freezer so feeling quite chuffed about that. The meal plan has derailed a bit currently though as somewhere along the line I substituted a meal over the weekend and there was a gap for later in the week that I was meant to think about, but...well... :o Tonight's sorted - pasta with sardines & butterbeans, but not too sure what we're having tomorrow as yet so need to think about that. It might well end up as risotto though as I have some mushrooms that need used. if they go in the pasta tonight though I'll have to think again!

Food stuff to think on:
    Tatties need used
    Filo pastry in freezer - "sorta"Homity pie for the weekend? This would incorporate the tatties and some onion, as well as containing cheese and cheese is always good. If so I need to scout through the freezer for any bacon, or, more likely, buy some bacon.
    Carrots. Might just chop the lot up and make some soup for myself. That would sort out saturday lunch for me.
    Single sweet potato still to use?
    Sausages in freezer - only good for me as they've got red wine in.
    PLENTY of frozen veg in freezer, and another small tub of that leftover gravy - so perhaps another gardeners pie next week? Will need more tatties if so.
    Final bit of smoked chicken needs to be eked out to go a LONG way - pasta one night next week, cheaty soft cheese sauce, lots of mushrooms, lots of herbs...

Yesterday was a NSD - today won't be as I've got the gym tonight (£7) and may as well book my train for Derby at lunchtime too. If I do that today then that means that tomorrow might be a NSD as well. Friday won't be - aiming to get to Scampton to watch whizzy red jets all being well, and will most likely get diesel while I'm up there as it's usually a lot cheaper than down here!

Survey-wise I need a kick up the behind. Been utterly slack on it and if I'm not to slip behind on card paying off then I need to get going again.
    Prolific: £7 odd payable.
    TCB - there's about £6 I can claim which I need to crack on and do.
    OnePoll - around £7 sitting on there but it seems to be down this morning.
    YouGov - starting to wonder if there is ANY chance of getting a payout from them EVER! :rotfl:
    Populus - I'd do better if I actually DID the flipping surveys they sent... Grr.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    EH have you ran before doing couch to 5k ? I really want to try and do running again , but always think it’s not for me . I do have a lung problem that is sorted for now but could happen again but running is always recommend by my consultant along with swimming.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    With you on YOu Gov.
    If I ever get to payout I will not be doing it again.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Cumbria, the couch to 5k programme things are excellent, From never having so much run for a bus and a size 16 at the time, I did sofa bum to 5k in ten weeks - had to repeat a few weeks to get there but amazing how fast your body adapts. If you are at all concerned try doing it on the treadmill, its a lot easier on your joints. I am tempted to try again on the treadmill but what I enjoyed most was garden watching as I went round.
  • I ran for about 20 secs and felt like such a lumbering ox. Everything went way up and then way down, and the down was a bit painful. I deffo need something stronger than my normal bra, it sadly wasn't up to the job! :o
  • I ran for about 20 secs and felt like such a lumbering ox. Everything went way up and then way down, and the down was a bit painful. I deffo need something stronger than my normal bra, it sadly wasn't up to the job! :o

I'm not so bad on the front - bought a suitably firm hold outfit, but they don't make one to stop the muffin top from bouncing at the back!
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hey Essex sounds like a good year planned ,maybe I should include stinky beach in benbecula as my S.good luck with the plans might join u on trying to get the 0% cleared quicker might spur me on .Good luck x
    So finally debt free and it feels amazing however continuing here to stay debt free.Next declutter house and body and finally swim under that waterfall x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback