HELP/ADVICE NHS penalty charge

I have the pleasure of receiving a nhs penalty charge for falsely claiming maternity exemption. After much investigation this is in fact due to pharmacy error.
My husband picked up 2 prescriptions for me & paid by card. As it turns out he only paid for one due to the other which had actually been sent electronically from the gp, being incorrectly marked and signed as maternity exempt by the pharmacy. This is because they still have me on their system as maternity exempt from 2014! Even though I have picked up, signed for and paid for every other paper prescription since.
I have sent evidence of the initial (under) payment and a statement from the pharmacy explaining I was exempt on their system as they had no expiry date entered. I have also now paid for the 2nd prescription but not the penalty. Still they are not budging! Claiming it is my responsibility as it was an incorrect claim! I have personally not falsely claimed, any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    It's something the NHS has been cracking down on recently. There's probably a couple of threads a week about it.

Who actually signed the prescription? If it was your husband then the onus is on him to check what he's signing on your behalf. If someone at the pharmacy signed fraudulently then you might possibly have an argument that they should reimburse you for the fine. Again though your husband knew that prescriptions aren't free so should have made sure he paid for yours as well as his own.

I don't think you'll get anywhere with NHSBA, and you need to be aware that the fine increases if not paid promptly.

There was a thread recently where someone was exempt but ticked the wrong box, they still had to pay the fine.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surely your husband should've notice he'd only paid half the amount he expected?...
  • Thank you for your replys. They were both my prescriptions, neither me or my husband see the prescription due to it being sent electronically by the gp. Therefore he did not sign for anything, (If he had we wouldn't be in this mess;() and it was actually marked & signed by a pharmacy representative.
    My husband paid what the pharmacy asked him to & they handed it to him in one bag. He did not know what medication I was expecting.. as I also receive free of charge contraceptives although not on this occasion.
    The pharmacy have wrote a statement to say it was because it was incorrect on their system but nhsbsa are failing to see why I would have only paid for one. Which I do not have an answer to except pharmacy error.
  • I suppose you could ask your MP to intervene, after all this is not by the sounds of it your mistake so why should you pay a penalty?
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Surely your husband should've notice he'd only paid half the amount he expected?...

You assume her husband knows what he is doing...

I send my husband every two months to collect my prescriptions delivered direct to the pharmacy from the Doctors, every time they ask him the same....does your wife want the same prescription next month? he answers the same every time...i don't know.

Oh if only we all had perfect partners that actually listened to us, Utopia.
  • Kelkel23 wrote: »
    I have the pleasure of receiving a nhs penalty charge for falsely claiming maternity exemption. After much investigation this is in fact due to pharmacy error.
    My husband picked up 2 prescriptions for me & paid by card. As it turns out he only paid for one due to the other which had actually been sent electronically from the gp, being incorrectly marked and signed as maternity exempt by the pharmacy. This is because they still have me on their system as maternity exempt from 2014! Even though I have picked up, signed for and paid for every other paper prescription since.
    I have sent evidence of the initial (under) payment and a statement from the pharmacy explaining I was exempt on their system as they had no expiry date entered. I have also now paid for the 2nd prescription but not the penalty. Still they are not budging! Claiming it is my responsibility as it was an incorrect claim! I have personally not falsely claimed, any advice greatly appreciated.

The pharmacy thought you were pregnant 4 years? Oh dear :rotfl:
  • Comms69
    bspm wrote: »
    You assume her husband knows what he is doing...

I send my husband every two months to collect my prescriptions delivered direct to the pharmacy from the Doctors, every time they ask him the same....does your wife want the same prescription next month? he answers the same every time...i don't know.

Oh if only we all had perfect partners that actually listened to us, Utopia.

I appreciate your post is half in jest, but the reality is - you/she married him.... :)
  • bspm
    I appreciate your post is half in jest, but the reality is - you/she married him.... :)

It was all in jest, not half in jest.

And yes I did marry him 45 years ago, but he was a young man then, they change!
  • Comms69
    bspm wrote: »
    It was all in jest, not half in jest.

And yes I did marry him 45 years ago, but he was a young man then, they change!

Not according to my GF!

As bad now as I was back then apparently
  • bspm
    Not according to my GF!

As bad now as I was back then apparently

Lord help her then!!

:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors