Making chicken feed of my mortgage

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    * A WW magazine recipe - I flicked through a copy of November's magazine whilst waiting for my massage on Friday and photographed all the recipes :rotfl:

What a fab idea! - I've never thought to do that (dentist waiting room has some great magazines!) - doh!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent wrote: »
    What a fab idea! - I've never thought to do that (dentist waiting room has some great magazines!) - doh!

I do it all the time - and not just in waiting rooms... I've been known to do it in the supermarket as well if the cover recipe looks good :rotfl:

And friend's recipe books if there are only a handful of recipes I like!
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    And friend's recipe books if there are only a handful of recipes I like!
    Yup I can vouch for that :rotfl:. I do it as well - the difference is you actually make the recipes :o.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • gallygirl wrote: »
    Yup I can vouch for that :rotfl:. I do it as well - the difference is you actually make the recipes :o.

It's a joint effort - I choose the recipes, Mr MWC cooks them :rotfl:
  • You are getting very close to mf now.... Do you have a life changing plan for when it happens, or will you just relax and enjoy?
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • I'm not sure SSS... after getting to know Tilly & gallygirl, Mr MWC is quite keen on buying a place in the sun :rotfl:

We've OP'd a massive amount of money since deciding we wanted to be MFW in 2011 and have been mortgage neutral for a long time; however, our current thinking is to reduce our OP's to £500/month (i.e. treat our interest only mortgage like a repayment mortgage) and put our spare money into S&S ISAs, sharesaves, pensions and life experiences. This would mean that we were MF by the end of 2023 (although in reality a little bit sooner as I still plan to OP "free" money and TTs on top of the £500/month).

I don't plan to be working in my current job (or full time in any job) by the time I reach 55 (January 2026). Mr MWC doesn't want to retire that early so I won't need to start drawing my pension then as we can live on his salary.

There are several variables (redundancy, inheritances :(, stock options that may or may not pay out, Brexit...) so I'm sure lots will change before then!
  • 1. Go to the gym a minimum of 20 times before 10 December.
    No [10/20]
    2. Follow the WW plan properly in November and at least 5x/week in December.
    Yes, 30/30 WW points [16/32]
    3. Reduce caffeine intake - maximum 1 coffee/day.
    Yes [16/32]
    4. Drink 1.5 L water/day (including weekends).
    Yes, 2 L [16/32]
    5. No late nights in November.
    I'll be in bed as soon as I've finished this post! [16/32]
    6. No watching rubbish made-for-TV Christmas movies when I'm home alone midweek (I have identified this as a trigger for binge eating ). Go for a walk instead!
    No TV [16/32]
    7. Make a real effort to get to work early or on-time every day (my current punctuality is appalling)
    30 minutes early so I went for a walk round the park before getting to my desk on time [10/24]
    8. Meal plan from larder/freezer/garden in November. Only buy milk, yogurt, bread, fruit & vegetables.
    YS chicken drumsticks from the freezer, 1/2 BNS LO from last week, pearl barley from the larder & salad leaves from the garden [12/32]
    9. No unnecessary spending!
    NSD [10/32]
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It sounds like your work pension options may be moving to what is essentially a passive clone - i.e. a closet tracker fund - but with an extra layer of charges on top so that the fund manager doesn't starve ;) It's really not so scary going DIY for your choices if you are sensible and stick to a plan.
  • It sounds like your work pension options may be moving to what is essentially a passive clone - i.e. a closet tracker fund - but with an extra layer of charges on top so that the fund manager doesn't starve ;) It's really not so scary going DIY for your choices if you are sensible and stick to a plan.

It's quite scary ed!

My IFA had a look and he thought the past performance was ok and the annual fund management charge is only 0.28%. I'll ponder for a few more weeks.

Really rubbish and long day at work. I've had to ask one of our suppliers to initiate a CAPA - their incompetence left me speechless :eek:
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    their incompetence left me speechless :eek:
    Crikey. Must have been bad :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback