Major problem

gc1967
gc1967 Posts: 26 Forumite
Please help
My youngest son passed his test a couple of mothes ago and got the car taxed and insured.
He was told by his insurance company he gets a 14 day cooling off period.
Anyway into the second week of him driving a cat darted out in front of him and he swerved and crashed into a wall across the road not causing major damage
After my son recovered from the shock my son rung his mum to come down, she knocked on the owners door and left details and the chap said seeing your sons excess is so high get a quote to rectify the damage
A few weeks later a letter came through from the police about careless driving but lucky enough there was cctv so the police took no further action.
The owner of the property has been very kind and getting the wall done through there house insurance.
The day after my son crashed and we agreed with the house holder to repair the wall without going through the insurance.
I believe at the time if no other vehicle or person was involved and you sorted something out between the 2 parties that was fine.
Anyway the stuffing had been knocked out of my son so the day after he hit the wall he rung his insurance company saying he wanted to cancel his insurance as he didn't feel up to it.
Anyway today we know the police case is closed and the homeowner is getting there wall mended through there house insurance , the problem is the insurance company have said he may have to pay back the money they gave him back in the 14 cooling off period, my son is in final year of school with no money and me and my ex wife used most of our savings to buy his insurance.
The lady on the phone said she will send a report to another department and we will here from them if they want to take it further
Is there anything I can do or any advice or just play the waiting game

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    gc1967 wrote: »
    Please help
    My youngest son passed his test a couple of mothes ago and got the car taxed and insured.
    He was told by his insurance company he gets a 14 day cooling off period.
    Anyway into the second week of him driving a cat darted out in front of him and he swerved and crashed into a wall across the road not causing major damage
    After my son recovered from the shock my son rung his mum to come down, she knocked on the owners door and left details and the chap said seeing your sons excess is so high get a quote to rectify the damage
    A few weeks later a letter came through from the police about careless driving but lucky enough there was cctv so the police took no further action.
    The owner of the property has been very kind and getting the wall done through there house insurance.
    The day after my son crashed and we agreed with the house holder to repair the wall without going through the insurance.
    I believe at the time if no other vehicle or person was involved and you sorted something out between the 2 parties that was fine.
    Anyway the stuffing had been knocked out of my son so the day after he hit the wall he rung his insurance company saying he wanted to cancel his insurance as he didn't feel up to it.
    Anyway today we know the police case is closed and the homeowner is getting there wall mended through there house insurance , the problem is the insurance company have said he may have to pay back the money they gave him back in the 14 cooling off period, my son is in final year of school with no money and me and my ex wife used most of our savings to buy his insurance.
    The lady on the phone said she will send a report to another department and we will here from them if they want to take it further
    Is there anything I can do or any advice or just play the waiting game

If the householder is claiming through their house insurance, he will have told them that the fault for the damage lies with your son. The householder's insurance will recover that cost from your son's insurance, and if there is a claim against your son by the householder's insurance then he loses the ability to cancel.

What has he done with the car? If it is sat on the road with no insurance then he or whoever the car is registered to will get into more bother with DVLA. It needs to be sorned if it's not to be insured and has to be kept off of the road or any place where members of the public have access to.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    It's the same situation the OP is talking about.
  • It's the same situation the OP is talking about.

Funny how in the other thread though, the son came to a stand still 'as he hit a curb', nothing to do with hitting a wall and doing damage.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Funny how in the other thread though, the son came to a stand still 'as he hit a curb', nothing to do with hitting a wall and doing damage.

Indeed. The op even stated there is "no damage to anything".
    No damage to anything
    First letter from police asking him to fill his details in and any comments he wishes to make
    When he bought the car we got the green bit and the lady sent off the other bit and the log book came back quick
    Nothing about failing to stop and report it no one else involved.Yes my sons the registered keeper
    If nip is when incident happened that was 22nd February and Police letter was sent out 20th March 2017

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72300048&postcount=29

Very strange.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    edited 19 May 2017 at 12:32PM
    Well spotted, I'd missed that subtle change to the story. Here's the description of the incident from the first post about it:
    As my son was returning home from 6th form at lunchtime about a week after he passed his test an animal ran out from his left side and he swerved to miss it thus leading to him veering across the road and coming to a stand still when hitting the curb.
    This happened approximately 4 weeks ago and today he received a letter from the Police/camera department Stevenage stating driving without due care and attention.
    We have visited the area and there is a doomed shaped camera up the road that has obviously recorded this but he wasn't speeding as no mention of speeding on the letter.
    No other vehicles were involved and no people were on the street areas, luckily he was fine

When asked about damage to other vehicles or property, the response was:
    No damage to anything

Now we hear that he crashed into a wall and that mum knocked on the door of the householder to leave details. Why, if there was no damage to anything?

I think this serves to confirm the suspicions of many of us on the last thread, which were that the son wasn't being entirely honest about the circumstances of the incident and that dad wasn't revealing pertinent information.

OP, it's impossible to advise people who provide incomplete or misleading information. What do you hope to gain by canvassing the opinions of strangers who have only been given your skewed version of events?
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 12:55PM
    Thought it sounded familiar. The original thread contained this priceless phrase

'We bought him a 1.2 corsa as he never wanted to be labelled a boy racer.'
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    He'll have to come to a payment arrangement with the inusurer. His cancellation will become null and void now a valid claim has been presented and they'll have to pay out
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Nothing to do with the "Major Problem" as such, but I do wish people would add a heading that said what their problem actually is.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the "Major Problem" as such, but I do wish people would add a heading that said what their problem actually is.
    So do I, but if everyone was to accurately title their posts, we'd have a forum half full of threads like:

"Vague and incomplete story to try and obtain reassurance of innocence - please help!!!"

"Help!!! - Scant details of accident below, more will be drip fed as I'm challenged on the original account."

"Please tell me the nasty people at [insert garage name here] are liable for my cambelt snapping after they fitted new wipers and a tyre."

"Who can I get compensation off of [sic] because I have a diesel that is now worthless but I bought it because I wanted to be green?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure