Booking advanced train ticket

Options
2»

Comments

• stockton_2
    Options
    techno12 wrote: »
    It does have to be the card that you paid with. I came a cropper due to this a couple of weeks ago, as I tried to pick up tickets from the machine but I'd left the credit card used to buy them at home.

The debit card I had with me wasn't accepted - the machine told me to go to 'customer services', but it was late and no staff were at the station.

I ended up having to pick them up the next day using the original credit card.

Looks like there is no uniform policy on this. I picked up some tickets a few weeks ago using Arriva Wales and I recall reading on the email that I could use any bank card as it was purely for ID and no money would be taken. I will edit my previous post to save confusion.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Laz123 wrote: »
    I'm returning from Malta to the UK on Dec 19th and want to advance book a ticket from Gatwick airport to Kingston-on-Thames. I've never done this before and having looked at the options I'm still confused. It seems you have to book a specific time of train and having once spent almost 2 hours at Gatwick waiting for baggage I can't guess a time of train. Also I haven't got a smart phone and don't know how they provide the ticket. Can they email it like an 'e-ticket' so I can print it off? Any links would be appreciated.

TIA
    There are no Advance fares for this flow.

The cheapest way to do the journey is by using an Oyster card or a Contactless payment card. The off-peak fare is only £8. No need to print anything.

Roughly what time do you expect the flight to land?
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    There are no Advance fares for this flow.

The cheapest way to do the journey is by using an Oyster card or a Contactless payment card. The off-peak fare is only £8. No need to print anything.

Roughly what time do you expect the flight to land?

The flight from Malta is 08.40 and takes roughly 3 hours.
  • stockton_2
    Options
    I have just booked a train journey online via Virgin trains and I quote the following:

"To collect tickets you will need to key in your fast ticket reference number below and bring the card you used to make the booking. If you don't you will have to buy a new ticket at the fare available on the day for your journey. Please ensure you collect all your tickets and receipt as they can't be replaced and you will need them to travel".

Just to clarify so there is no misunderstanding. Bring the card with you that you used to make the booking.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stockton wrote: »
    I have just booked a train journey online via Virgin trains and I quote the following:

"To collect tickets you will need to key in your fast ticket reference number below and bring the card you used to make the booking. If you don't you will have to buy a new ticket at the fare available on the day for your journey. Please ensure you collect all your tickets and receipt as they can't be replaced and you will need them to travel".

Just to clarify so there is no misunderstanding. Bring the card with you that you used to make the booking.

This is what all of them tell you. In practice, a different card may or may not work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure