Maximum order quantity

Options
verybigchris
verybigchris Posts: 630 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Just curious - do any sellers on here set a limit on how much an eBay buyer can purchase from you, and if so why?

I went to bulk buy some office supplies this morning, and even though the seller had loads of stock they restrict buyers to 4 units in a [STRIKE]30[/STRIKE] 10 day period. Seemed a strange thing to do.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    How are they restricting you to 4 in 30 days?
  • Brywalker
    Brywalker Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am also intrigued as to how they can do this.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A seller can restrict buyers/bidders, but it's x per 10 days.

At the lowest setting they can keep a buyer to 1 per 10 days. Therefore 3 per 30 or 4 per 40 days, but not 4 per 30.

Which makes me wonder if they actually have set the block or just include the pointless text in the listing?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,201 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I was targeted by someone trying to wreck my account I put the limits on as tight as I could purely so I could cope with new buyers buying too many items at the same time. Even now at certain times of the year, Christmas especially, I put fairly generous limits on to try and protect myself from anyone buying up lots of items and returning them after Christmas once they've decided what presents they need to give .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • verybigchris
    Options
    Sorry, that was a typo, it was 4 units/10 days.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, that was a typo, it was 4 units/10 days.

Ah yes, then that is doable as a seller.

Reasons? Any number of really. Limiting bad feedback if you are selling a cheap and cheerful item. Limiting fraud if you are selling an expensive item. Drop shipping (so not actually having the stock) and therefore keeping exposure low should the real seller actually be out of stock. And so on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure