Cancel TV licence?

Comments

• I don't remember the last time I saw a TV Detector van. I wouldn't be surprised if they've all been scrapped. As far as I know, the TV Licence people work on the premise that every occupied home must have a TV then they hassle them for a licence (plenty of letters come to the unoccupied properties I owned).

I have also had the balance of an annual TV licence refunded, so that tip was wrong.

I'd just tell them you're not using it. You will get a letter telling you that an inspector will be round to verify but again, its written in some guarded semi intimidating tone. Just make sure you haven't just popped the TV on to see the latest news the moment they knock at your door if they do show up.

For many years I knew people who bought a monochrome (black & white) licence because they knew it was impossible for the detector vans to distinguish between a B&W and colour set. My sister had a B&W set for many years and got letters from the TVLA asking her if she was sure it was B&W as it was "very rare these days" so they were even hassling in days gone by.

Cancel the licence and tell them it will be your pleasure to welcome them for a look.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • fiddiwebb
    fiddiwebb Posts: 1,806 Forumite
    Sorry meant to add so do you require a license to use any television recieving equipment or do you just need one to watch/record tv progs as they are being shown?
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    fiddiwebb wrote: »
    Sorry meant to add so do you require a license to use any television recieving equipment or do you just need one to watch/record tv progs as they are being shown?

No. If for example you had a great big plasma TV quite capable of receiving broadcasts but you only ever used it for DVDs or playing video games then you do NOT need a TV license although the TVLA will probably hassle you to prove it but that's a separate issue as it's down to them to prove you are watching TV (ownership doesn't prove you're watching TV and ownership in itself doesn't require licensing). A lot of urban myths surround this probably stemming from TVLA's attitude that their assumption is everyone watches TV (guilty until proven innocent in other words).
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • danny69
    danny69 Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It is funny that the OP first talks about not watching tv etc. then at the end they ask whether they would be able to be tracked down if they were watching it! You dont need a tv to wattch dvds anyway, just get a screen.
  • Gnid
    Gnid Posts: 112 Forumite

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2862
  • The key phrase there is "as they're being shown". I don't want to watch anything as it's being broadcast. I'm quite happy to detune all the channels, throw away the aerial cable and fill up the aerial socket in the wall with polyfilla if it helps prove I don't watch TV! I would get rid of my TV altogether for the hassle it's worth but my laptop doesn't have very good speakers so I'd rather watch DVDs on a regular screen.

If it's just a case of poor sound from the inbuilt speakers you could just buy some external speakers for your laptop (this is what I do for watching dvds and downloaded iplayer/ 4OD programmes) - you can get a pair for under £10. Ok it a small screen and hardly home cinema sound but as I don't watch many dvds it's fine for occassional use. I wouldn't use the inbuilt speakers to watch or listen to anything though, they are truly awful. Think I paid about £8 for some basic external speakers from Play.com and they are fine considering how little they cost.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Gnid
    Gnid Posts: 112 Forumite
    Ah, very confusing.

According to the tvlicensing.co.uk they say:

Do I need a TV Licence?

spacer.gifspacer.gifgrey.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifYou need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, digital box, DVD or video recorder, PC, laptop or mobile phone to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV.

If you use a digital box with a hi-fi system or another device that can only be used to produce sounds and can't display TV programmes, and you don't install or use any other TV receiving equipment, you don't need a TV Licence.

"as they're being shown on TV" - very important. Are the "programmes being shown on TV" if you are watching DVDs or just putting it in the garage? No.
  • fiddiwebb
    fiddiwebb Posts: 1,806 Forumite
    Yes but it also says spacer.gifYou need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    Yes but it also says spacer.gifYou need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment
    have you read the rest of this thread & what superscaper & others have said? ... you only need a license if you're using the equipment to watch or record broadcasts as they're being shown
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    And just to cheer you all up. Noel Edmonds hasn't got a licence and hasn't been taken to court yet.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure