Bank statements prior to mortgage application

richy4
richy4 Posts: 146 Forumite
edited 2 December 2016 at 5:03PM in Mortgages & endowments
About to apply for mortgage offer in order to exchange contracts.

My broker has been given all my relevant info (payslips, employment, spending) however he said my recent habits of putting all of my regular spending onto credit cards may cause me an issue.

I hardly ever use my current account for any routine transactions, such as weekly shopping. Only when I need cold hard cash I obviously withdraw it. Everything else is just direct debits (mobile, gym, trade union sub). As such, it looks like my expenditure is very minimal.

However, my true weekly spending is all on my credit card as it is a 0% deal. My weekly food spending which I put all on my credit cards is about £30-40 a week and a monthly bus card of £50.

Will this cause me an issue, is it a known issue? I am a FTB and still live with my parents so can claim my parents buy all household items etc.

Obviously a lender could look at my credit card spending and assess from there what to lend? Is this a common issue, I'm sure others must have faced something similar especially as this website and Mr Lewis himself advise to do regular spending on credit cards! (Stoozing)

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It wouldn't worry me in the slightest and most lenders I can think of also wouldn't be bothered.

You advisor's reaction has me puzzled...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    richy4 wrote: »
    However, my true weekly spending is all on my credit card as it is a 0% deal. My weekly food spending which I put all on my credit cards is about £30-40 a week and a monthly bus card of £50.

Then one assumes that you've a growing progressively increasing balance owing. Are you intending to clear this balance prior to making an application?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Do you repay the balance in full each month, or are you paying less than the full balance?

Will you be able to clear any balance in full on or before completion? if yes, the balance will have zero impact with most lenders.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • richy4
    richy4 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Balance has been steadily growing each month, I make well over the minimum (£25) payment, usually at least £150 a month payment.

I fully intend to repay in full on/before completion, and have the funds immediately available even if asked to do so earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure