PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Neighbours new business

Comments

• This is true, I shall make some enquiries with the council. Thank you
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's worrying that people would be willing to leave their dogs in this situation. Are the neighbour's charges very cheap?
  • I have no idea what they charge, she is a dof walker so presumably gets her clients from that business.
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    It's worrying that people would be willing to leave their dogs in this situation. Are the neighbour's charges very cheap?

Its quite common for people to leave their dogs living in a home situation rather than in a kennel. My dog walker offers the same service in her own home. Usually its just a case of adding one or two extra dogs to the ones that already live there rather than keeping lots in cages/runs etc. as you would see at a boarding kennel.

The problem for the neighbours is that the training and behaviour of the dogs will be variable, and they are in a strange place so possibly more likely to bark than usual anyway.
  • Mojisola
    Smallfry1 wrote: »
    Our houses are a terrace with small courtyard gardens and shared access.

The dogs are a complete nuisance. They bark incessantly and foul their yard which stinks.
    Its quite common for people to leave their dogs living in a home situation rather than in a kennel. My dog walker offers the same service in her own home.

I do the same but the home boarders have always had reasonably big gardens which were kept clean.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,161 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You don't happen to live on the other side of my neighbours do you?

Licensed dog walker and "cash in hand" boarder ... Someone reported her (not me) but she said she was looking after the dogs for friends, not charging for the a service so that was that. I know she charges. Thankfully she doesn't have dogs all day every day as she is still a dog walker so is generally out and about but if she has boarders it's like barkfest day and night for a while.
  • Mojisola
    Start to keep a diary of the times of the disturbances. Possibly some recordings as well. You may well need them later.
    Soot2006 wrote: »
    Licensed dog walker and "cash in hand" boarder ... Someone reported her (not me) but she said she was looking after the dogs for friends, not charging for the a service so that was that.

Having a diary and recording of dogs could help the OP disprove that if the neighbour tries the same story.
    I do the same but the home boarders have always had reasonably big gardens which were kept clean.

They should be keeping the yard clean of course, and if the smell is affecting the neighbours it would be reasonable to knock on and ask them to sort it, but I don't think not having a big garden is a dealbreaker on treating the dogs properly. If the neighbour works as a dog walker I assume they are being walked and getting exercise.
  • Mojisola
    They should be keeping the yard clean of course, and if the smell is affecting the neighbours it would be reasonable to knock on and ask them to sort it, but I don't think not having a big garden is a dealbreaker on treating the dogs properly.

If the neighbour works as a dog walker I assume they are being walked and getting exercise.

It isn't - but the fact that the dogs are barking so much would worry me and suggest that they aren't happy.

If the dogs are being kept in a small garden, they will need extra exercise and playtime. If they are just put out in the courtyard to entertain themselves, I wouldn't want to pay someone for that.
    It isn't - but the fact that the dogs are barking so much would worry me and suggest that they aren't happy.

If the dogs are being kept in a small garden, they will need extra exercise and playtime. If they are just put out in the courtyard to entertain themselves, I wouldn't want to pay someone for that.

This is all speculation though. Lots of people have dogs and live in terraced houses with yards, in itself there is no reason why this would mean anything untoward, just from that info its impossible to know if they are properly looked after or not, just as its impossible to know if a dog that lives in a big house with a huge garden is being properly looked after.

Dog mess in the yard is not a good sign, that needs to be sorted. I admit I don't always clear up after mine immediately if its raining or dark etc. but with more than 1 dog in a relatively small space it really needs to be picked up as soon as it is deposited!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure