My sense check!

So if those have seen other posts ive mine, im an ex bankrupt. It was a failed business but I had personal debt also.

A few years ago i got a barclaycard. I needed my own credit card for business expenses with my employer. Amazingly the temptation of 0% kicked in an all sorts of things ive purchased, paid off but wow is it easy just to buy something and then think i can pay for it over a few months.

I recently paid for my windows to be replaced on my barclaycard. They cost £4000. I applied for a new credit card to transfer the balance to a 0% card and the card arrives next week. My wife and I have felt awful so we cancelled the windows and got a refund from the company.

I now have two credit cards, both with £0 balance but £9500 available credit between them!!!!
I am concerned that an "emergency" will come in and i will use them. So im hoping to use this DFD to sense check myself.

Now lets get down to debt:

Mortgage: 32 years remaining £115,732
Car PCP: £11,995 - 28 months remaining - PCP so amount payable before the contract end date is: £4712.96
Fender Stratocaster: bloody interest free! doh! £917- paying £42/month

The car is my wifes as i have a company car, but i am the only source of income so it is as good as my debt.

Mortgage is both of ours and the guitar, well i already have 3 so why i needed another one only musicians may understand.

My wife and I have decided that having cloudy windows is much more fun than worrying about loosing disposable income every month. I pay £250 into a S&S ISA on a monthly basis and still have a few hundred spare.

I dont want to overpay on the mortgage. I can, but i would rather put the money into a deposit account and reduce in chunks if my situation allows.

The plan is as follows:

Clear the debt on the Guitar. £250/month so 4 months. (August this year done.)
We dont need the car, but the situation is it will cost a few thousand to send it back, so it unfortunately is staying until August 2019. I am going to increase our payments to £200/month to clear the PCP roughly 4 months early. (that will give 4 months to save to buy a car outright)

Try our very best to leave all debt alone. Unfortunately i need a mortgage, but touch nothing else. If i think about it i can shame myself in my DFD and hopefully talk me out of doing anything stupid.

thanks for reading and thanks to Martin for this forum. :T

Comments

• So ive asked BMW to increase the pcp payments to £200/month and the guitar to £100/month. I'll call up and pay the extra £150 off the guitar each month.
    I hope the BMW will allow the overpayment on a monthly basis.
  • Didn't want to read and run. Hello and welcome.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • There's not much anyone can say really so I guess its common to have a nose and leg it :)

So ive had a chat with mrs rjwr and we have worked out a plan to fund most of the things we need to do personally and for our house.

I am really encouraged by all the positive DFD I am looking at and hope I can keep this up.

Thanks to all so far.
  • Just dropping by to say thank you for taking the time to read and post on my diary.
    Good luck with your debt free journey.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Lumanous
    Lumanous Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good luck with your plan. Sounds like you have made sensible decisions to take a handle on things and where you want to be. Hopefully once you have some things paid off you can save and then get your windows sorted 'worry-free' :) Will feel so much better that way!

Good to have a check in place too, hopefully keep you on track, good luck :)
    :A
    No, my username is not a typo :tongue:
  • Tahlullah
    Tahlullah Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Hello. Read your diary and laughed at the 3 guitars! Definitely a musician thing. 3 drumkits! Can you imagine what that does for space?

Wishing you good luck on your debt free journey.

Tx
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

Owed at the end of -
    02/19 - £78,400. 04/19 - £85,000. 05/19 - £83,300. 06/19 - £78,900.
    07/19 - £77,500. 08/19 - £76,000.
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pay off debt then reinstate the s&S ?

Many lenders will allow early repayments often with no ERP so check that out.

Sell BM and buy low emission low tax little car ?

Good luck with the journey.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Tahlullah wrote: »
    Hello. Read your diary and laughed at the 3 guitars! Definitely a musician thing. 3 drumkits! Can you imagine what that does for space?

Wishing you good luck on your debt free journey.

Tx

Wow, we only have one drum kit in our band and our drummer complains about the space that takes!

its four guitars now,..... hence the bit in my signature.
  • Pay off debt then reinstate the s&S ?

Many lenders will allow early repayments often with no ERP so check that out.

Sell BM and buy low emission low tax little car ?

Good luck with the journey.

Thank you for your suggestion. It is probably the most sensible way to move forward.

The car unfortunately is not worth even 80% of the outstanding PCP, so it will remain.
  • update:
    So V12 finance can not change the DD amount for the guitar but I can make over payments.

BMW finance haven't responded yet to my request to increase the amounts.

I'm battling with my credit cards, they have no balance, but not sure what to do so ill ask in the CC forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure