Liquids on connecting flights

I've an upcoming flight which involves flying from the UK to an EU airport and then connecting (separate ticket) to a flight to outside the EU.

I can't even remember the last time I made such a connection so it got me wondering about the liquid rules. I was planning on getting bottles of juice post security at Gatwick, however am now wondering if you need to go through security again at the connecting airport and thus surrender the liquids?

We'll have checked in online, only taking hand luggage and appear to be flying in/out of the same terminal so no neeed to go to the pre secure area if we don't have do. Can you connect flights inside the schengen area like a domestic flight where you just stay in the departure lounge or do you have to clear immigration?
Save £12k in 2019 #36

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    We flew UK to Amsterdam then Amsterdam to Canada and yes we had to go through security at Amsterdam as we arrived at different gate to the one we flew to Canada from.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    At Gatwick have the juice put in a sealed airport goods bag, this way liquids over 100ml can be carried on board unless flying to Aus. You must not open the bag until you have gone through security and are on your final flight.
  • If you're on separate tickets then you've not got a connection. I hope you've left sufficient time between flights in case of delays. You will have to go through security.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you're on separate tickets then you've not got a connection. I hope you've left sufficient time between flights in case of delays. You will have to go through security.

Ah I missed that bit, I don't know if the bags can be used on non-connecting flights.
  • GwylimT wrote: »
    Ah I missed that bit, I don't know if the bags can be used on non-connecting flights.

Their boarding pass will show the EU airport as their final destination, and I can't see WH Smiths or Boots putting a few bottle of juice in a stebs when as far as they're concerned their customer is flying to eg FRA, AMS, CDG etc.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't think I've ever been at an airport with international flights that doesn't sell a variety of drinks, just buy some more when you get to the connecting airport.
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you're on separate tickets then you've not got a connection. I hope you've left sufficient time between flights in case of delays. You will have to go through security.

Does the technicality of having separate tickets make a difference in respect of the question? I'll have a boarding pass out of the airport so as far as the airports concerned it's no different. There's plenty of time between flights.
    Their boarding pass will show the EU airport as their final destination, and I can't see WH Smiths or Boots putting a few bottle of juice in a stebs when as far as they're concerned their customer is flying to eg FRA, AMS, CDG etc.

I'll already have the boarding pass for the next leg, as far as they're concerned how it it any different if it's one ticket or 2?
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever been at an airport with international flights that doesn't sell a variety of drinks, just buy some more when you get to the connecting airport.
    Depends on the airport, but a lot have a smaller selection than Boots, plus boots is high street prices so just overpriced rather than outrageously overpriced. And maybe I'm being fussy, I'm sure we can get perfectly good, if not better sun cream when we get to our final destination, but it'd be nice to be able to get the brand I know I like rather than risk picking up some horrible sticky gloop.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, you will have to go through security again.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 9:49PM
    Duckyduck wrote: »
    Does the technicality of having separate tickets make a difference in respect of the question? I'll have a boarding pass out of the airport so as far as the airports concerned it's no different. There's plenty of time between flights.

I'll already have the boarding pass for the next leg, as far as they're concerned how it it any different if it's one ticket or 2?

Yes it makes a big difference. You don't have connecting fights, you have 2 separate tickets meaning you will have go through immigration, go land side and go through security again. You will not be able to take liquids bought in the UK back through security.

If you'd had connecting flights you may have been able to remain airside.
    Depends on the airport, but a lot have a smaller selection than Boots, plus boots is high street prices so just overpriced rather than outrageously overpriced. And maybe I'm being fussy, I'm sure we can get perfectly good, if not better sun cream when we get to our final destination, but it'd be nice to be able to get the brand I know I like rather than risk picking up some horrible sticky gloop.

When did juice turn in to suncream?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • When we stopped off in Dubai waiting for a connecting flight we went through security.

It was the same on the return journey as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure