PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My breadmaker book says only use strong and I've never really questioned it 'til now. I'll keep this option open as my emergency bread recipe.

Thanks.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Wickedkitten
    Wickedkitten Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've actually made quick and dirty cinnamon rolls with the breadmachine.

In this order stick into your breadmachine basket:

200ml milk
    1 egg (not beaten)
    250g of breadmachine flour
    3 tbs caster sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    250g breadmachine flour
    make a bit of a depression in the top and stick in a sachet of hovis breadmachine yeast. If you don't have any its ok, use 2 tsp active dry yeast.

Set the machine to dough and then go do something else until it done.

Now, after its done, take it out of the basket and knead it for a bit. I quite like kneading dough because its very relaxing but don't knead it for more than a minute, then let it rest for 15 minutes.

Right, roll it out until it is rectangularand about the length of a baking sheet, make sure its quite thin.

In your microwave/saucepan melt 1/4 of a cup of butter and whilst that is melting, mix together 1/4 cup caster sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/3 of a cup of chopped nuts. It doesn't matter what kind you use, but I would have used walnuts if I hadn't been so busy rolling it up that I forgot to put them in.

Ok, here is the fun bit. Spread the butter on your dough evenly and make sure that it stops at least an inch from each side; after you do that sprinkle on your spiced sugar mix evenly and starting on the long side of the dough, roll it up as tightly as you can, then seal the sides of the tube that you have made.

Slice the roll in 1 inch sections then place them on a buttered baking sheet and stick them into a warm place to rise for 30-40 minutes. I usually just turn the cooker onto 150 degrees for a few minutes, and then turn it off before sticking them in.

Last but not least, once they have risen set your cooker for 160 and bake them until golden brown.

At this point you can combine 1/4 cup of icing sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and a few tablespoons of milk in a bowl and drizzle this over them before cutting them apart and serving. If the mixture is too thin just add more icing sugar, and if its too thick just add more milk.
    It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    I have every intention of posting a few more from mine when I have a bit of time. Perhaps others could too?

I will have a look through my book on Monday and will post anything interesting here. I seem to remember a raspberry (or strawberry) and apple jam recipe.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In the breadmaker?

?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    Yup in the breadmaker. My maker has a 'Jam' setting...and in the recipe book I have a recipie for the jam above, and orange marmalade. Sounds strange, but I love the thought.

At the end of the day, when you make jam all you need is fruit, sugar and heat. All of these things the breadmaker can do. I intend to give it a try at some point. I think it does ask for frozen raspberries / strawberries, but I might just ignore that minor point for my first try.

I remember my Nan with a large pot on the cooker making jam and I fancy making my own concotions....I wonder if I will poison anyone?
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gosh. Mine doean't have any jam recipes (I just checked) so it probably isn't suitable for this. Oh well.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Sqeaky - which make/model/size machine do you have?

This is the recipe for jam which came with mine (the "Jam" setting gives a time of 1hr20mins - you may want to experiment using half the quantities in this recipe as my machine is max 2lb)

Raspberry and Apple Jam

Raspberries (frozen needs to be measured b4 defrosting) 2 cups
    Chopped baking apples (peeled and cored) 1 cup
    Preserving sugar 1 cup
    Lemon juice 3Tbsp
    • Warm jars before filling
    • Use tongs to remove the paddle before pouring the jam into prepared jars
    • Do not open lid during mixing
    • Add your desired topping
    • Bake at approx 200C until golden brown
    Now, I haven't had the courage to try their recipe (yet!) because I'm uncertain about the bake part of the instructions! :confused: But it's on my "To Do" list ;)

Clearly, the greatest "danger" is that the jam mixture will boil over the pan and onto the electric element of your machine; this would cause a fire (!) so do be careful!!!

Alternatively,
    a) if you want HM jam - do it the traditional way ;)
    b) if you want a LOT of HM jam ... keep up the PMS and invest in a different Bread machine :D
    c) Buy jam from Lidl ;):D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine's a Scneider, only available through Asda, and it does 1.5 lb loaves.

Thing is, it's not just size - it's program time. Baking time is about an hour, just on my programs.

Not just that but since it doesn't mention jam I don't know if the seals and things are up to attack from the various acids in fruits.

This is one "breadmaking" experiment I'm not going to risk. I don't want to mess my machine up. If mine could make jam it'd have one in the recipes - and it don't.

Oh well, just have to do it the hard way :)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Agree - the jam making is an additional feature of some bread machine's and timing/temps are always important depending on the feature being used :D

If it's any consolation .... you get bigger quantities in one go by jam making by hand ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :) Not me. I keep an eye open for end of season leftovers past their best and then get enough for just one or two jars. I don't eat much jam and I don't want to encourage myself to make lots of jam sponge puddings to use it all up...

..what am I saying!?!?!?!?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport