PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    :j WTG jaybee!!! :T (It's also scrummy with HM onion soup ;) )

Todays experiment with Pesto and Pine Nut loaf has also turned out well :j :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • little_lil
    little_lil Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    had my first complete disaster yesterday, made wholemeal bread using part white flour and then put through the dough cycle and then the wholemeal one. But it didn't rise at all.

Of course it is highly likely that i didn't measure the ingredients correctly but before i attempt this again and waste another set of ingredients can someone please confirm that you put the machine on the dough cycle and let it run completely and then the wholemeal cycle. Do you leave any time between the two?

Sorry to be such a dimwit but i really have no clue when it comes to breadmaking as it is all so new to me.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    With my machine you just run one cycle - dough is only if you want to take the dough out and cook in the oven - for example for pizza bases, bread rolls etc. In that case I would just have run the wholemeal cycle only.

Your instruction book should tell you how it works in your machine though.
  • little_lil
    little_lil Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I put it through the dough cycle as this was recommended as one solution to improve wholemeal bread following an earlier post about problems with this.
    (sorry if that wasn't clear in my post)
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Little_lil, we make a fifty fifty mix with wholemeal and white bread flours. OH always puts it through on the 5 hour wholemeal programme. In my ignorance (I can't normally get my hands on the Panasonic breadmaker, OH considers it to be HIS machine), I made my first loaf yesterday and put it through on the 4 hour Baking Raising programme for a white loaf. Still got a very good loaf.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • apple_mint
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We normally do a 5 seed mix in our bread (linseed, sesame, poppy, sunflower and pumkin - the latter two being finely chopped) - which has always been the favourite in our house. We have also done the cinamon and raisin and also a date and walnut - both scrummy.

Yesterday we did Queenie's onion and rosemary (using onions we dried in our dehydrator) ... it is to die for! Thank you Queenie!

What other good flavour combinations have MSE'ers added to bread mixes? (I added mine to the nut dispenser)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    3 tsp cinnamon into the basic bread mix

3 oz (75g) sultanas into the nut dispenser.

Great bread when toasted, and equally good for chicken sandwiches. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    apple_mint wrote:
    We normally do a 5 seed mix in our bread (linseed, sesame, poppy, sunflower and pumkin - the latter two being finely chopped) - which has always been the favourite in our house. We have also done the cinamon and raisin and also a date and walnut - both scrummy.

Yesterday we did Queenie's onion and rosemary (using onions we dried in our dehydrator) ... it is to die for! Thank you Queenie!

What other good flavour combinations have MSE'ers added to bread mixes? (I added mine to the nut dispenser)

Olive and oregano, cheese and tomato, cheese and onion, cheese and herb, cayenne and cheese, all to basic white bread dough - erm, I think I like cheese a lot! Looks like I will have to be watching cholesterol. LOL! (Honestly I just do these occassionally, mostly do plain without grains as they are a fussy lot in this house, anything with seeds won't be eaten. They drive me mad!)
    Just making my way through some other recipes in breadbook, which you have to finish off in the oven, the camembert and onion was delicious. Wanting to try potato, rosemary and emmental (although suspect will substitute another cheese, as never buy that unless it's reduced), and roasted pepper and red onion sounds good too.
    Has anyone got a tried and tested recipe for a French stick/baton type bread? Mine have never worked out the way you get them in the bakers/supermarket.
  • apple_mint
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you Squeaky and Anne_Marie ... a lot for me to try here :-)

Haven't tried a french stick type bread yet, still working my way though breadmixes in the breadmaker. I quite fancy the roasted pepper and red onion (I have dried versions of both so I may try this first).
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    lucylou wrote:
    Hi everyone went into Morrison today and noticed that if you buy Hovis bread flour all varieties you get the free Hovis yeast (75p)!:D

I wonder how long this offer was on for as I purchased both products on 1st June and was charged full price!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure