The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

25% discount on Friends and Family Railcard. (save £6)

Comments

• National Express East Anglia (Norfolk Suffolk Essex Cambs) are giving a free first class upgrade to anyone who purchases a family railcard at any of its stations for a half term trip ! (Email voucher)
  • This is a great offer, although I think I only used our family railcard once last year (but it saved money).

Is there a similar deal about for students? My son is about to renew his but £24 is rather steep.
    2021 Targets
    find my smile again
    :money:
  • infofreak wrote: »
    Hi All. I was just looking at this card and it says you have to travel with at least one child. Does that mean the child has to be there or can you just buy a child's ticket along with an adult one? I know this will be extra cost but could still work out cheaper than paying full fare.:confused:

You have to have the child with you - otherwise you will be asked to pay the full/current fare.
  • Why don't these train companies just reduce ALL train prices by around 10-15% and do away with these discount railcards?

Surely they would slash their administration costs by doing this and it would help speed up the queues at stations?
  • Ideally they should reduce prices by about 30% as travel by train is still more expensive than using the car.
  • I had a family railcard but since our region began selling 4 for 2 tickets & kids go for £1 I've not bothered to renew it as this deal has so far always proved better & I don't have to pay a £24 (or £18) tax up front.

With the family railcard you could, if you were so minded, save a couple of quid over an adult cheap rate one day travel card by buying tickets for one adult and one child, though apparently they can get upset if you're unable to pruduce a child to go with the ticket. You can get this deal from the ticket machines too, it doesn't ask for the railcard but the guard often does when checking tickets on the train. Somehow, though, they never seem to notice the missing child, so I'm told.
  • i just purchased a family railcard on monday, and i did not know about the discount =25% . does anyone know if i can cancel it and then re-apply for another one with the discount?
  • I've just applied for one through the link in original post. Very easy and I didn't need to upload a photo, nor did I have to use my driver's licence or passport for id.

Thanks for the link!
  • jacko136
    jacko136 Posts: 10
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just bought my railcard online, easy to join, thank you for the tip xx
  • My family railcard was up for renewal so tried the code when I renewed and got my new card for £18 :j
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport