Can you take on another job while on a career break from your current job?

Options
I have just noticed there is a long thread about teletech@home a little further down! I stumbled across this myself on monster over the weekend and it sounds idea for my situation. The problem is, I am currently in the middle of a career break from my current employer.

Short story is: I work for the DWP, have done since Feb 2003. I went on maternity leave in May 2004. Was due to return Jan 2005, but went off sick due to stress of having very poorly child. Finally I agreed to take the rest of my unpaid maternity leave when it became clear I would not be able to return to work anytime soon. In April 2005, we got a diagnosis for ds2 and he underwent urgent surgery. Hubby & I then decided that life is too short and I would stay at home to be his full time carer (he gets low rate DLA) until he is old enough to start full time school. I called work straight away, informed them of changes to cicumstances and agreed a career break until at least October 2008.

Obviously I am not being paid from the DWP, it is like I am no longer and employee, we don't keep in touch, although I occassion bump into one of the line managers there who keeps me informed of what is going on (talks of closure etc) It is currently looking like I may not have a job to go back to anyway.

Money became very tight when hubby's job went downhill. He has since changed jobs, but I would like to do something to help contribute to finances but am unsure of where I stand legally. Can I do a part time job from home whilst still technically employed even though it doesn't feel like I am.

Any thoughts or advice very much appreicated.

Comments

• Scoflo
    Scoflo Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My understanding is that you can do something the department cant offer you hours-wise. This means earlyshift, backshift, nightshift. My friend works nightshift in a home as its more cost effective that returning to a JCP on days with her kids.
    :hello: Don't believe all you hear, spend all you have or sleep all you want:hello:

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to contact the DWP and ask. In my part of the CIvil Service you can work on a Career Break providing you "avoid any conflict of interest with your roles as a MoD employee and/or Civil Servant". However with the fragmentation of the CS that may not be universal.

In addition you & your managers should be making active efforts to stay in touch & keep you formally informed about what's happening
  • madhouseof4
    Options
    Thanks! I was afraid I would have to call them and ask. Thing are already frosty between us after a HUGE row about an overpayment of salary (their own fault, they lost my sick note ect, ect!) I will try my local JCP again, they should have an idea of where I stand. Somehow I can't really see being a home working tech support for Sky (or similar) being a confict of interest. As for the shift thing, it appears it is only evening work available, which suits me fine and is the polar opposite of my shift from work.
  • mustbemad
    Options
    I have just noticed there is a long thread about teletech@home a little further down! I stumbled across this myself on monster over the weekend and it sounds idea for my situation. The problem is, I am currently in the middle of a career break from my current employer.

Short story is: I work for the DWP, have done since Feb 2003. I went on maternity leave in May 2004. Was due to return Jan 2005, but went off sick due to stress of having very poorly child. Finally I agreed to take the rest of my unpaid maternity leave when it became clear I would not be able to return to work anytime soon. In April 2005, we got a diagnosis for ds2 and he underwent urgent surgery. Hubby & I then decided that life is too short and I would stay at home to be his full time carer (he gets low rate DLA) until he is old enough to start full time school. I called work straight away, informed them of changes to cicumstances and agreed a career break until at least October 2008.

Obviously I am not being paid from the DWP, it is like I am no longer and employee, we don't keep in touch, although I occassion bump into one of the line managers there who keeps me informed of what is going on (talks of closure etc) It is currently looking like I may not have a job to go back to anyway.

Money became very tight when hubby's job went downhill. He has since changed jobs, but I would like to do something to help contribute to finances but am unsure of where I stand legally. Can I do a part time job from home whilst still technically employed even though it doesn't feel like I am.

Any thoughts or advice very much appreicated.

Our situations are so similar it is scary!

I am on a career break from DWP too and have had zero contact from them since the office I worked in shut down!!

I have just been offered one of the jobs with [EMAIL="TeleTech@home"]TeleTech@home[/EMAIL] and have been wondering if I should write and tell DWP (for all of the good it will do me, they never reply and always say they havent got any letters sent :mad: ) I suppose I should but I dont see why it would be a problem :confused: Its not as if they would let me work evenings from home!!

I hope your little boy is okay now, my little boy was dx with a serious illness in April 05 too but is okay now (fingers and everything else crossed).

MBM x
  • mustbemad
    Options
    Thanks! I was afraid I would have to call them and ask. Thing are already frosty between us after a HUGE row about an overpayment of salary (their own fault, they lost my sick note ect, ect!) I will try my local JCP again, they should have an idea of where I stand. Somehow I can't really see being a home working tech support for Sky (or similar) being a confict of interest. As for the shift thing, it appears it is only evening work available, which suits me fine and is the polar opposite of my shift from work.

I dont really want to call them either, Things got pretty frosty when my manager phoned me 3 times a day whilst my son was in PICU wanting to know when I would be back :mad: Let me know what they say to you :D

MBM x
  • madhouseof4
    Options
    Mustbemad, I was going to reply to you on the other thread and got distracted by my little darling!

I am so sorry you are in a similar situation. The DWP sounds like a great place to work, unless the unexpected happens, like having a poorly child. They have not exactly been understanding as a company, although my line manager was understanding. We had some contact for a while, but that was when I was still on unpaid maternity. Once I started my career break, I only heard from them when I called chasing the union rep. I have everything crossed that they shut down my office, it would do me a huge favour!

Like you said, it is not like they will offer us evening hours in the DWP, I worked 9-2 ish, Mon-Wed, 16 hours using flexi-time. If I go down this route, or any other home working route for that matter, I will be evening work, when the boys have gone to bed and it is quiet enough to think!

My son is doing much better now. I am pleased your son is doing well too. I would have been incensed if work had called me while my son was in PICU! It was bad enough that the hospital accomodation manager came to ask me for my room deposit within 30 minutes of us getting to see ds for the first time after his surgery :mad: We were flabbergasted!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure