MSE News: Energy regulator launches...

Options
The energy regulator Ofgem has opened an investigation into small gas and electricity provider Iresa’s customer service...
Read the full story:
'Energy regulator launches investigation into Iresa'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    About a year too late. I, and many others, were reporting issues/Licence breaches to Ofgem this time last year. Launching an investigation now says as much about Ofgem's licensing policy and ongoing regulatory compliance monitoring as it does about the supplier now under investigation. MSE, Which, Citizens Advice should now demand a full Public Inquiry into Ofgem, and its lack of understanding and support for energy consumers.
  • PLYSU
    PLYSU Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Long overdue. I hope every customer, past and present is given a goodwill payment for all the shortcomings. They are the worst, most frustrating organisation I have ever dealt with.
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 February 2018 at 1:26PM
    Options
    This investigation needed to happen (and should have happened some time ago).

I don't think I've encountered a company with such poor customer service.

They have been flouting numerous license conditions in extreme ways for some time now.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    We've contacted Iresa for comment and will update this story when we hear back.
    Presumably you've either

a) raised a 'ticket' which will either be deleted, ignored, laughed at or responded to in 6 weeks with a bland, meaningless or incorrect reply, requiring a further ticket leading to an endless loop of non-progress

b) or you've rung them and are 231st in the queue

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For Ofgem read Dinosaur

Jump on it's tail and a year later it says 'Ouch'
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Am I right in thinking that Iresa will have to pay a hefty fee to Ofgem for the cost of this investigation, whether it finds the case proven or not?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • System
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that Iresa will have to pay a hefty fee to Ofgem for the cost of this investigation, whether it finds the case proven or not?

I do not think so. If the case against it is proven, the supplier could get a hefty fine/re-dress payment or have its Supply Licence revoked. Recent fines are shown here:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/investigations/investigations-and-enforcement-data
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This story continues to reinforce my own position to stick with what I know. As it turns out, if I had a moment of total madness and decided to switch away from the fantastically cheap Npower fix I'm currently on until June this year, Iresa as it turns out, would cost me £20 a year more than what I'm currently paying, so they wouldn't be getting a sniff of my business anyway and they certainly will never get my business at any time in the future.

I'll keep an eye on my own dual fuel tariff and I will switch away if my current supplier doesn't remain competitive, but I will not be switching to any unproven newbie start up, I'll be sticking with a big name supplier.
  • System
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    I'll be sticking with a big name supplier.

So that will be one of the Big 6 then? Look at the link above; even the Big 6 have fallen foul of Ofgem in the past and one is under investigation at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure