Password update prompt

Options

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    This isn!!!8217;t the first time we!!!8217;ve sent a prompt out in this or other ways.
    Well, it's the first time you've done it to me in 3915 days, apparently...
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone

As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.

Thanks for your patience. Have a great weekend.

Andrea

I really don't want to change my password here regularly thank you , and especially not over an insecure form. My peace of mind was fine before.

And, FWIW even the U.K. security authorities now say there's no point in regularly changing your passwords since it doesn't enhance security. If you think it does I'd like to see an explanation. Eg Exactly how does me changing my password from abcde to defgh makes me more secure ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's just an internet forum, why should we be updating passwords "regularly"?

Retail sites don't require regularly changed passwords and they have credit card details stored!
  • miriamac
    miriamac Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Options
    This reminds me of the 'disappearing threads' discussions - I believe that some of those discussions probably helped the people who were making threads disappear!

It would be nice to know why MSE are doing this - but that's just because I'm inquisitive :D. Also because I have my own theories and it would be nice to have them confirmed - but that's vanity as well as inquisitiveness.
    What would Buzz do?

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,420 Forumite
    Options
    It has been utterly maddening - changing to that ghastly blue skin/being told the old password didn't match/resetting password/being unable to log in at all......aargh!:mad::mad:

As if trying to cope with my in specie ISA transfer wasn't already "putting me away in the head" (to quote my dear old dad)!
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    I got that, bit confusing.... changed it and logged in, but it said I'd got it wrong, so did it again, manually - it then told me I'd got my password wrong and try again, but I thought "bugg4h you then, b4st4rds, I CBA with this nonsense".... but, as you can see, I was somehow logged in anyway.

Same thing happen to me. I changed it but new one was refused twice then tried old one but was in anyway.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I just re used my old password when I was told to change it!
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This also happened to me and was very frustrating. I have been a member since 2003.
  • centsible
    Options
    steppevos wrote: »
    The website is not even using https for the password change page. So all passwords (old and new) are send in plain text over the internet and we can keep using our existing password. So this is a complete non-action.
    I think that MoneySavingExpert may have serious problems with the upcoming Data Protection Legislations coming into force in May this year :T.
    Well, at least it made me aware that MSE doesn't take security very serious.

And there is also (or was at 30 November 2017) the use of Session Replay Scripts on MSE....

Follow the link through from https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/59yexk/princeton-study-session-replay-scripts-tracking-you and you'll find MSE one of the 400 major sites recording keystrokes.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    I've been having all sorts of problems with this today. I changed my password as requested (using a password manager) but the site didn't recognise the new password when I tried to log in. I then spent a while doing battle with the reset procedure which was equally reluctant to let me in until suddenly it started working again and I changed my password.

The problem is I keep getting logged out now for unknown reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure