Password update prompt

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well thats half an hour of my life i wont get back.:mad: Ive got a spare account too.
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    Lomcevak wrote: »
    Dear Andrea, you're making people reset passwords with an insecure form :(

Does it matter? It's only a forum. It's not a financial account, or email account that could be used to reset other accounts.

Apart from maybe for spamming purposes, nobody is interested in hacking anyone's forum account.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone

As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.

Thanks for your patience. Have a great weekend.

Andrea

Can you confirm or deny whether this site has been hacked and member's passwords stolen?

It's unusual to require a password change after 12 years without a good reason.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We shall see because i have chosen the same password which worked.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As eagle-eyed regular forum members have noticed already, we're asking you all to update your passwords. You should be doing this regularly for your own peace of mind.

Some hadn't been updated for some time and we want to make sure you change them regularly.
    Would have been sensible to announce this in advance so people know it was coming, and not after the event. And considering its not secure anyway, completely pointless to force everyone to change passwords, so no peace of mind in changing it regularly. :question:
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    I had to change my user name after thirteen years and got a message today that after eleven days I had to change my password.

I kept entering the right thing and the forum would not accept it!!!! Eventually I managed to sort things out after a very frustrating half hour.

What with disappearing threads, apostrophe errors and being kicked off the forum I am getting paranoid.
  • steppevos
    Options
    The website is not even using https for the password change page. So all passwords (old and new) are send in plain text over the internet and we can keep using our existing password. So this is a complete non-action.
    I think that MoneySavingExpert may have serious problems with the upcoming Data Protection Legislations coming into force in May this year :T.
    Well, at least it made me aware that MSE doesn't take security very serious.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your patience. Have a great weekend.

Andrea
    Worth noting that your system allows the old password to be reused.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Only 4061 days since I last changed my password for here!!

MSE Andrea please would you respond to the question as to Why Now? It rather suggests that you've been hacked, else you would have issued a warning that this was going to be needed shortly.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    Just had to change mine....about 6 months after my last password change....why????...I could understand if everyone has to change after, say, 5 years....but why EVERYONE today - even if they have changed passwords recently...makes no sense!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure