Wizard of Odd - Kitties and Rabbits and Kids, oh my!

In our household the females outrank the men 2:1. Myself, my partner and our daughter are all female. We then have three female cats and one male who's currently separated by multiple doors pending ball removal. One male rabbit and one male guinea pig bringing us to six women and three men, six animals and three humans. Though our household is far from done expanding. We are missing having a dog to trip over, our fish tanks are empty and we would love to add another baby eventually. So basically our house is madness on a daily basis.

While we don't have much debt at £2,381.39 it is taking longer to shift than we would like because we are being terribly spending lately. We do not currently live together as we are waiting for a place in a school here which means I spend weekdays missing them like mad and we are constantly back and forth between the two homes. So we will eventually be losing a few travel expenses only to replace them with the expenses of moving house and new uniforms. Thankfully the new schools uniform only has a badge on the jumper meaning so long as it's school colours we can shop around for the rest of the uniform.

We all have varying degrees of additional needs and dietary requirements which we are trying to get a handle on, hopefully spending some time tackling a meal plan and getting a bit more control over daily life will help with. We are planning to start cooking from scratch more, using butchers and greengrocers in place of the supermarket where possible and walking to the shops in place of bus or taxis.

We don't drink very often, we have switched from cigarettes to vaping and we don't eat out very often though we do have a weekly takeaway as a treat but that costs under £10 for us all and it's just round the corner. We are starting to get back into making positive choices but obviously we need to wait for us to see the benefits as it's very recent. In the meantime I'm going to be looking on the boards on here for more challenges, tips and ways to increase our income.

What's the best change you've made since the start of your DFW journey?
Estimated Debt Free Date - September 2019
Debt Paid To Date - £600.08/£1337.04
UU - £343.90/£343.90:D SV - £195/£195:D CO - £0/£298.14 CP - £61.18/£500

44.88%

Comments

• I swear the washing machine never seems to stop spinning. It's already on it's second spin this morning, the heating is on low to dry a few bits quicker and make more space on the airer for this load. I can't put any washing outside at the moment as we have a tiny garden full of bin bags ready for bin day tomorrow. Hopefully the nice weather will hold over the weekend and I can get more washed and hung out.

Today I'm working on some spreadsheets for the finances, planning to clean and organise the kitchen and I need to get the rabbit out for a cuddle and a chance to stretch his legs. Unfortunately that shall have to wait a little bit as it would be just plain rude to move right now, I have all three cats on my legs and two are currently asleep. While I organise the kitchen I'm going to make a note of what I have in so I can come up with some meal ideas until I get paid next week.

I'm going to meal plan and work on a shopping list for pay day as well. I want to keep a running list of what I have in and update it as I use stuff up. I know it takes a bit to get into new habits so I'm expecting a few blips along the way but I'm going to try and keep myself on track as best I can and come on here daily.

44.88%
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Horror Hound and welcome! Sounds like lists of exciting change on its way which will not only make some financial difference but also bring the family together properly. Just wanted to pop in to wish you luck :D
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It's all going on at your house (s) :)

Best change I've made since start of DFJ, planning, planning and more planning. It saves so much money. Little things like taking a flask out as a habit. Always carrying snacks for the school run. Shopping with a list. Meal planning. Daily bank balance monitoring. All counts as planning in my book and all saves money.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Thank you for the messages of support. Right after posting this we were given a start date which has meant we needed to run around packing and unpacking. There was the cost of uniforms and travel, it all added up and blew our budget a bit. But we have made do and are getting back on track. All bills are paid, the fridge is full and I don't think we have any expenses until next week.

We have already started meal planning ready for payday next week. We have a shopping list and I have scrubbed the cupboards and now know what we have in. Today I have taken all the bin bags out, tidied the kitchen sides, wiped them down, done the washing up, done another load of laundry and put a stew in the slow cook. Sitting down for a few minutes and then I will get the litter trays and hutches cleaned out. I will try and post properly soon.

How are things for you both? I will drop by your diaries sometime.

44.88%
  • HorrorHound
    HorrorHound Posts: 17 Forumite
    Well! I have not been around much lately have I?

I feel like the tin man, what with my creaking joints and messed up back. I am currently trying to resist my pain medication because it makes me feel like I rattle, normally I would try a hot water bottle but that is not happening in this heat.

The cowardly kitten is doing much better, she was born with a poorly leg and we were worried it would need amputating but to be honest you wouldn't even know now. It has healed up nicely and she is now practising her gymnastics on the curtains which is adorable and annoying all rolled into one.

My partner and our little one now live here which means our house is feeling very very full right around now. She has settled in great at school and it's amazing watching her grow up (although also a little terrifying), when I think she used to be this scared little thing that cried if she sneezed too hard and now most bumps and scrapes are followed up with "I'm fine" it brings tears to my eyes. I am so proud!

She has requested more home learning which I do with her because she's in a class of 30 (there are 90 children in her year) and although they have two-three teachers per class they obviously can't offer one on one attention which we can at home. This means we can see areas where she needs help and areas where she's advanced. She is finding her reading easy, maths so far she's zooming through and her writing/spelling she is pretty good at it. The biggest issue is getting letters round the right way. She starts off great and then as she speeds up the size, direction etc all change and it gets messy. So we may add some handwriting practice into home learning.

At the moment she only does one page of home learning per night but she's through it in 5-10 minutes so I think I may make it a little harder and longer. Or maybe just work on filling multiple pages covering various areas and let her work through it for a set time instead. We have worked with her on the idea that if you get stuck, try and if you really need help then move on to ones you can do and come back to it that way she isn't sat on one question for ten minutes when the other questions were zoomed through in seconds. As mean as it sounds I do want her to start getting stuck because then we know where her limits are and what she needs to learn vs what she already knows.

In actual money saving news we have started growing our own vegetables, or rather we have planted them and are waiting to see the little green leaves of success. They are in small starter containers at the moment, next week we will get more soil and some larger planters ready for them to be moved into.

We are cooking from scratch more and have started longer meal plans so we will be meal planning for the month starting on our big pay day and we will be ordering a large muscle food deal to start filling the freezer. Most of our issues revolve around our various dietary requirements but we do have the usual fussiness as well, but recently I have been encouraging little one to help with meal prep. She claimed not to like tuna or spring onion but she stood and mixed the tuna, spring onion, egg and bread crumbs together to make burgers and we made one of them small for her to try... Well she wolfed it down, asked for more and would like us to make them again. Score!! Two very happy mamas.

We have switched internet providers so the bill is only £20 a month now which is a lovely drop from the £80+ we were paying sky. I must start doing surveys and stuff again as well and get all my spreadsheets updated.

44.88%
  • HorrorHound
    My day started at half six today with my back killing me again. I am not surprised as my pain medication didn't help at all yesterday. I powered through though and little one was fed,
    dressed and ready for school fifteen minutes early. She had even tidied her room, drunk all her water and took her plate out. Very pleased.

The washer and dryer and wizzing around as we speak, we are on the third load of laundry today and almost caught back up. I have done four bowls of washing up as well because some how every plate and cup in this house was dirty. The kitchen needs a massive decluttering and we are planning to move the contents of cupboards around to make it a bit more organised. I really need to work out somewhere to move some stuff to because one cupboard actually contains just plates we don't use (fragile ones that were a gift from a deceased relative) and our huge box of porridge oats (special offer). If we can get the kitchen organised again I want to get some flapjacks and cookies made as that's cheaper than the supermarket, especially when we have so much stuff in!

Debt wise I owe £200 on the credit card that I really want paid off asap and we have had a letter saying we owe sky money which I must chase up. I don't mind if I have missed a payment and not noticed before we left them but if they are trying to pull a fast one I will be annoyed.

44.88%
  • HorrorHound
    I am getting sick of this pain now!

So yesterday was eventful. We rehomed our two youngest cats to our friend, we were sad to see them go but our daughter was always covered in scratches where they are still so little and playful. She now has a horrible scratch on her back and the other day they split her finger open and she bled heavily. They needed a home with older kids and my friend has helped look after them since they were born so it may as well be her. They settled quick since they know her already.

Non-uniform day today so that's £1 paid out. Must go to ASDA later for spring onions and tuna for tonight and vegetables for tomorrows stew and sundays roast. We only have carrots and potatoes but not enough for it all. So absolutely not a NSD day today.

I am hoping to get some jelly made up into my little glass ramekins (the ones the GU desserts come in, whenever family used to buy them on offer they would save me the jars) as then we can just grab one when we want. It cost the same for the pack of jelly as it did to buy one little jelly premade.
    We only did that because they only stock apple jelly in premade, must look online and see if I can find some stock somewhere since thats little ones favourite flavour. I must make several batches of jelly as we have different flavours we like. My partner loves blackcurrant and as she's been struggling to eat lately with the weather so hot it may mean she gets a little something down her.
    Little one and me will devour the strawberry flavoured.

I also want to try and summon my get up and go and start cleaning the living room. Planning to pull furniture out to clean behind it, move the fish tank and sort out my wrapping paper storage (clean out an old bin). The hutches need cleaning out.

Washing machine is already running again, as is the tumble dryer. Got the tv on and about to sort out a spreadsheet for this months budget.

44.88%
  • Well it has been a while hasn't it? The year just ran away from me!

The pain got to the point walking is now something that requires a walking stick though the doctors still aren't being much help, they keep giving painkillers but that hasn't stopped it getting worse. Very frustrating!

Still pottering around the best I can. Yesterday I hoovered the lounge (took all the cushions off for a thorough clean), scrubbed the washer down (drawer included) and argued with our freezer. Now it's clean and organised. Found the source of the disgusting bathroom smell (we were blaming the drains) little wet hands have been slowly dripping water/soap/toothpaste into the toothbrush cup... That's now been thoroughly bleached! Also scrubbed the skirting board near the cat bed.

Today I hoovered the lounge twice (one of the cats broke a glass) and the stairs, swept an area of the lounge after giving one of the rabbits a much needed haircut and fed all the animals (we have seven now), moved some board games and puzzles around so the cats can sleep on them, watched the cats eat to make sure no one steals from anyone else. Got to do BBQ chicken wraps (with vegetables)
    for tea shortly. Cleaned the litter trays as well. Hoping to do some freebies/comps later too.

44.88%
  • Well it!!!8217;s been a kind of productive day... I!!!8217;m in so much pain but can!!!8217;t really take anything for it as I normally do and then it!!!8217;s difficult at the doctors to explain/show the pain for them to help. This means my get up and go has got up and gone.

So far I!!!8217;ve got little one up, fed and sorted her clothes out for school. She got dressed and I!!!8217;ve sorted her hair. The animals have been fed, water bottles refilled and cat carrier cleared out. Loaded one cat up (she was spayed last week) and took her on the school run and then me and my partner carried on from the school to the vet. Arrived 2 minutes before the vet opened! Ended up getting let in early and seen early (she was due for 9.30) and by 9.25 we were back home letting her out. Clean bill of health, cone is on for another week and she!!!8217;s not required to go back until her vaccinations are due.

Also got Abel and Cole delivery coming today as I spotted an offer to get a recipe box (3 recipes for 2) for !!!8220;free!!!8221; - box was free only cost was delivery charge. £1.25 I believe. How!!!8217;s that for money saving? :P think I!!!8217;m getting the hang of this at last.

44.88%
  • I did a bit of organising in one of the kitchen cupboards. Surprised by how many things were hiding away untouched. Must have been a pantry nunnery. Sorted some things for the bin though some are staying ready for BBQ season (rubs and such). Also sorted out a box from on top of the cupboard as we are hoping to move the kitchen around Monday. Get more organised and all that.
    We made dinner together which was nice and will be even more pleasant once we have a bit more space to do so.

Sent off for a few freebies over the last few days. Spent yesterday getting sorted on the computer.
    Spreadsheet updated for payday. Not much spare money but some things are costing more to last longer - such as the cat and rabbit biscuits. Two month + supply rather than the fortnight supply we usually buy. Sorted out the utilities so they will be coming to sort the meters in April at last. Moving broadband suppliers and got three freebies coming from that hopefully.

Today there were some surveys waiting for me. Not many pennies earned there but it will add up over time. Found the days for the veg stalls so we are going to go have a nosey and see what the price and quality is like and try to save some more pennies.

Though to be honest we may not have much spare this month it's lovely to see that we have food for us and the animals for a couple of months which will reduce outgoings over time as we finish filling cupboards and fridge. Also filling the freezer with homemade ready meals for lazy days. Four stews and one curry in there for the moment. Getting there slowly.

44.88%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business