Mini meltdown and light bulb moment

Comments

• AleMrsT
    AleMrsT Posts: 577 Forumite
    misstara wrote: »
    Hi AleMrsT, I often feel like this as me and OH rarely go out/do much together outside the flat. When I first started my diary, me and OH put £15 a month into a wee fund to do something together. I think it lasted a couple of months and then kinda fell by the wayside, however, we were discussing tonight about starting it up again. I think unless we have money that is specifically for us, it gets swallowed up in bills/debt repayments.

Good luck with the job application and weight loss :)

Thanks MissT, going to suggest this, it sounds like a great plan. I guess if we don't use the money one month, it rolls over to the next and we can have a bigger 'treat' that month instead :T

In other news, I have an interview on Wednesday for the job I applied for yesterday! :j:j They called me and left a voicemail today, I can't answer my mobile at work and I went back to my desk early instead of having a full lunch hour, if I had my full lunch, I'd have been able to answer :mad: luckily the lady had emailed me too so I was able to nip to the toilet and quickly reply to set up the interview :rotfl: I have spoken to mum and she's given me plenty of hints and ideas, (she used to work there so knows the guy doing the interviews). She did say that I will need to dress up for the interview, preferably a suit and a shirt, and I really don't have anything that is interview worthy. I have a nice grey pencil skirt that I was planning to wear (if it still fits!! :rotfl:) but we know all about my ancient wardrobe contents. So I have until 9am Wednesday morning to find a suitable top to wear with the skirt, and I'm at work tomorrow and we have a charity meeting in the evening. I cant risk ordering on line in case the items don't arrive in time. AAAGGGHHHH.:eek:
    Think I'm going to have to dash around town on my lunch break tomorrow and just hope that I can find something in either Nulook, tecso or nxt. (nxt will be a last resort as its not really in budget :money:) Eek. Will a skirt and top be ok do you think? I have black patent heels so was thinking either a black or cream top to go with the grey skirt.

I don't know if I said, but my manager is going on maternity leave in June (which is why I'm looking to leave asap, it will be disastrous without her around), and they have employed a new guy on a 6 month contract. The poor bloke has only been there for a grand total of 5 days, and it is clear he is just not going to be 'one of the team'. I've really tried with him, but because I do most of the fiddly adminny back office stuff now, its hard to concentrate on stuff when I can see him faffing about not really doing what he's supposed to be doing. I think I need to give him a bit more time, but fingers crossed I won't have to soon :p

Also, a NSD today as I got a lift to and from work. :T
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Yay fab news on the interview, best of luck, will have everything crossed for you :) Hope you find something to wear. I usually find that nulook are pretty good. I have one ancient smart dark grey dress for interviews which unfortunately doubles as a funeral dress :o:( should really get a new one for interviews.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • emmaglet
    emmaglet Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi AleMrsT - it has taken me a few lunch breaks but I've finally read through your diary and I love what I'm reading! If you ever feel down then please go through your diary and see how far you've come. I remember you mentioning that you "only" paid £x amount, but your whole mindset has changed since you started this diary. You have also moved home, sorted out the Mr's credit report and you've had this interview!

How did your interview go?
    I like to make money
    Best wins: £3,000 luxury holiday, holiday in Cornwall, £250 Murad Skincare hamper, angle grinder

:j Make £10 a day challenger - it pays for trips to Florida! :j
  • AleMrsT
    Yay fab news on the interview, best of luck, will have everything crossed for you :) Hope you find something to wear. I usually find that nulook are pretty good. I have one ancient smart dark grey dress for interviews which unfortunately doubles as a funeral dress :o:( should really get a new one for interviews.
    Thanks MissT, I can't get into my funeral dress, otherwise I'd have worn that :rotfl:) I managed to get a top from TK mxx in the end, and wore my skirt which I squeezed into :eek: If I get this job I MUST go shopping!!
    emmaglet wrote: »
    Hi AleMrsT - it has taken me a few lunch breaks but I've finally read through your diary and I love what I'm reading! If you ever feel down then please go through your diary and see how far you've come. I remember you mentioning that you "only" paid £x amount, but your whole mindset has changed since you started this diary. You have also moved home, sorted out the Mr's credit report and you've had this interview!

How did your interview go?

Thank you Emma, this was lovely to read, thank you for sticking with me and sorry its taken so long to get through my rambling :o

The interview was the strangest interview I've ever had! We spent most of it catching up on how my mum is getting on, what my boss and his family are up to these days, and they were telling me all about the recent changes within the company.
    I sat down and the interviewer said 'we are very impressed with your CV and we like what we have seen with it, so you are setting the bar for the rest of the candidates really'. Then asked if I found the office ok. As she seemed so informal, I bit the bullet and said that I knew where it was as my mum worked at the company previously. Then the department head came in, ("sorry I'm a bit late, I got confused with the settings on the photocopy, this is what we need a new person for to teach me how to work the thing" :rotfl:). The lady threntold him I was the daughter of a previous member of staff and he then broke into a smile and seemed to relax a little, and reminded me that I bought a car off him when mum was working there.
    It was more an informal chat, they hardly asked me any questions, didnt seem at all concerned about my hospital appointment schedule (I know I didnt need to mention this but if he remembers my mum I thought he may remember the reason she left, which was at the time because I was at the hospital every other week so she got a job where she didnt have to work Wednesdays). I then asked how the company has changed, and they spent a while going through the departments etc and then the half an hour was over.
    I don't really know what to make of it, they'll let me know next week as they have a few more to see, but they seemed very at ease and almost as if they'd already made up their minds to employ me and the interview was more a 'getting to know you' interview.
    Its encouraging to know that the girl doing the job at the moment is going to be training to become a solicitor, which is why she's stepping away from that role, she's still going to be at the company, but will be training! Exactly the kind of place I want to be.

Back at work today, I discovered that the girl I work alongside is going to be taking over from the lettings manager when she goes on maternity leave, I am both relieved and annoyed. Relieved that someone new isnt going to be coming in and taking over, relieved that they haven't asked me so it makes the decision to leave a little easier, and strangely, this is also the reason that I'm annoyed! OK, she's been there for a year or so longer than me (although I was there for two years way back when and have returned), she currently only works 3 days a week, will be getting a pay rise etc, and I haven't even been approached/asked/considered.
    If I don't get the new job, it will be easier at my current place with M in place as manager, and it wont be as hard work as it could have been, but I'm still gutted that the job wasnt split between us with us both obtaining more responsibility and a pay rise!

Ah well, fingers crossed it won't be my problem for much longer. :rotfl:
  • misstara
    That sounds like a fab interview and very promising. Fingers crossed for you x
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fingers crossed on the interview! But yes it does sound like they'd made their minds up if it was all so informal!
    Starting again..
  • AleMrsT
    edited 20 May 2015 at 9:29PM
    Hi All,

Back from our weekend conference and back in the swing of things at work etc.

Just logged in to my online banking and I'm very happy :money:

Will do an update on my spends since moving in to the new house on 3rd April:

Income £1075.89

Monthly bills
    Rent £550
    Debt £71
    Car Insurance £148.62 :mad:
    Groceries £269.04
    Ad Hoc spends:
    Cash withdrawals £130 :eek:
    Takeaway/work lunches/drinks: £25.59
    Bus ticket: £14
    Interview top: £16.99
    Bodys hop splurge: £38.30 :eek::mad:
    New tea towels: £6.98
    Money added to savings £197.94 :j

TOTAL SPENDS: £1468.46 :eek::eek:

I'm not really sure how this balances, as I still have £68.99 in my account, but obviously I will have been paid before moving so there was a starting balance of £441.56 from previous wages. Annoyingly, my online banking only goes back so far.

I think I've done pretty well to be able to do a big food shop (£87.48) the week before pay day, have around £200 saved and STILL have nearly £70 in my account :T:T

In other news, I didn't get the job I applied for :(:(:( Ah well, there are others to apply for so will see how they go, although I am slightly annoyed at how the interview process went, they acted like they'd made up their minds to give me the job and didn't really ask me anything to do with my skills etc. Once again, I'm left wondering whether my medical condition and frequent hospitalisations put them off (whether or not they voice it.....)

If anyone sees any anomalies with my finance figures, please let me know, as it doesn't seem to add up right, but never mind!!
  • misstara
    Hi AleMrsT, so sorry to hear you didn't get the job :( can't see where you've gone wrong with the figures but yay to having extra money left over.
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry to hear about the job, annoying that you may not have had a proper chance to sell yourself as it was so informal.
    Starting again..
  • AleMrsT
    edited 20 May 2015 at 9:31PM
    Hi AleMrsT, so sorry to hear you didn't get the job :( can't see where you've gone wrong with the figures but yay to having extra money left over.

Thanks MissT, I was really well behaved today, I did a lunch run for my colleagues and didnt get anything from 8oots, I had some vouchers in my handbag for McD's, so I got in the queue, couldnt decide what to get, so went back to work and ate my salad instead :T:j better for my waistline and my purse!
    twiggy86 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the job, annoying that you may not have had a proper chance to sell yourself as it was so informal.
    Thanks twiggy, my friend (who is a HR manager) told me that I would have grounds to appeal or something if I didnt get the job based on how the interview (or lack of) was conducted, but I'm not interested in that, if they don't want to employ me, fine, I'm not going to fight them about it, something better will come along no doubt.

Incidentally, I've seen another job at a housing charity, so still under the 'property' umbrella, but it is administrator for the company, so a mixture of what I do on the charity committee, combined with what I do at work all day, so I'm going to apply for that, its a decent pay increase instead rather than the slight pay cut I would have taken if I'd got in at the solicitors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure