BA Conencting flight cancellation

Options
We have booked to fly from Manchester-Heathrow-Vancouver and back again all as one booking(1 week in Vancouver).

BA emailed today to tell me the return flight from Heathrow to Manchester has been cancelled and there are no alternatives on that day. This renders the 1st flight useless if we cant get back to Manchester as our car will be there, we were thinking we might as well drive to Heathrow and park there instead and just get the two flights.

I just called BA and had great difficulty understanding the operator based in India. I wanted to know what refund I would get for the flight they cancelled and also if we cancelled the now useless 1st flight how much we would get back for that too.

I think what she was trying to tell me was that I have to wait 72hours for them to see a price for the refund. she couldn't give me one there and then.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Just wondering how this may play out.

Thanks

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    It is sometimes cheaper to start in Manchester than it is to start in London! So they may say no refund is due.

If you do decide to drive to LHR, you must get the booking changed with BA. If you simply don't show for the first leg, they will cancel the ticket!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you asked BA to arrange alternative transport to Manchester for you that day? Failing that, they could provide an airport hotel at Heathrow and put you on the first flight the following morning.
  • kirkofski
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It is sometimes cheaper to start in Manchester than it is to start in London! So they may say no refund is due.

If you do decide to drive to LHR, you must get the booking changed with BA. If you simply don't show for the first leg, they will cancel the ticket!

My Mrs seems to remember it being cheaper to start from Manchester than London so like you say, no refund may be due.

That's great advice thanks, didn't know they may cancel the ticket if we miss the first leg.

Using the 3 remaining flights isn't out of the question, its just awkward as it means having someone dropping us out to Manchester and then collecting us from London.
  • kirkofski
    Options
    Have you asked BA to arrange alternative transport to Manchester for you that day? Failing that, they could provide an airport hotel at Heathrow and put you on the first flight the following morning.

To be honest I was having great difficulty trying to communicate with the advisor as it was, when I ring next I will hopefully get through to someone who I can understand a bit better and ask.
  • stevie11
    Options
    Do not cancel any part of your itinerary yourself and if you are thinking of skipping the first flight this could cause further issues down the line for you. I would echo the suggestions by Nick and Voyager.

Sometimes calling again and getting another rep may get you a better response.

Good luck.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options

I second that. I'm assuming your return flight LHR to MAN is in more than two weeks time. If so, there is no right to compensation, but BA must make arrangements to get you back to Manchester.

I suggest forget about changing your outbound arrangements. Insist on BA getting you home. Either a night in a hotel and fly the next day or a taxi.
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    Options
    Go on Twitter, obviously keep most details out but say your flights been cancelled etc and they will sort it. Twitter and stuffs the way forward
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kirkofski wrote: »
    To be honest I was having great difficulty trying to communicate with the advisor as it was, when I ring next I will hopefully get through to someone who I can understand a bit better and ask.

They have a call centre in Newcastle as well as in India: if you call at the right time you should speak to someone in Newcastle who will of course be able to communicate, and I think will have more authority to get things done than the people in India.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 February 2018 at 8:54AM
    Options
    ^ exactly as above.

Voyager2002 is right. I am sure BA will offer a solution but you need to speak to someone in the Newcastle office. It is all down to calling at the right time.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kirkofski wrote: »

BA emailed today to tell me the return flight from Heathrow to Manchester has been cancelled and there are no alternatives on that day.

When are you flying? Looks to me like the YVR flight doesn't arrive later than 2:30pm and it seems odd that there would be no same-day connections possible to MAN after that. What about flying back a day later/earlier? Before you call, do your research on which alternatives are available and suggest one of them to the agent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure