Flexible Working. Reduce lunch break...

Comments

• You can't drop an unpaid half hour, you have to drop a paid half hour. You have to do that because they say so. it's not nonsense because that's the rule they made.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No they havent, shes had an informal chat, they also haven't given a valid reason (listed above) for refusal
    That's incorrect. She asked to leave early, and they've agreed. They however didn't agree to her taking only 1/2 hour which they can do. I expect it's probably written in their policy that staff has to take 1 hour at lunch and therefore they don't require to give a reason, just to point to the policy.
  • bluenose2
    bluenose2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow, thanks for all of the responses, it appears that I have caused a storm!

Just to confirm, work have informally already clarified that they are more than happy for me to start work later (as there will be no business impact) but have confirmed that as my lunch break is UNPAID, I cannot make up the half an hour during this time.

I hope this clears things up.
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Clear as mud, to me. Where did starting work later come from, all of a sudden? Do you mean starting work earlier, by any chance?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • bluenose2
    bluenose2 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Clear as mud, to me. Where did starting work later come from, all of a sudden? Do you mean starting work earlier, by any chance?

Oops, my mistake!
  • I thought you wanted to finish work earlier.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    bluenose2 wrote: »
    Wow, thanks for all of the responses, it appears that I have caused a storm!

Just to confirm, work have informally already clarified that they are more than happy for me to start work later (as there will be no business impact) but have confirmed that as my lunch break is UNPAID, I cannot make up the half an hour during this time.

I hope this clears things up.

That's the nonsense if you work it becomes work time and paid.

The lunch break if it is not paid is not work time it is free time.

What they are saying is you cannot convert time you are not working to time you are working.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    So as they have agreed to reduce the hours you are in the building but not the lunch break, is the problem that under that agreement you will earn 2.5 hours less per week? The hours they have informally agreed suit you, just that you would prefer to shorten your lunch break and be paid for the same hours as now.

Seems rather petty of them to not agree to a reduced lunch break, not something I would do but the upside is if you can stomach the loss in earnings you do have the start and end times you need.

Or have I misunderstood as I seem to be seeing a different issue to everyone else
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    My current understanding is this.

For some reason, employer does not want staff to take less than an hour for lunch. The lunch break is unpaid. This is a pain, but is the employer's right.

The employer has, however, agreed that the OP can work 8.30-4.30 instead of 9-5, which solves the end of day problem. (This is what the OP meant when she said 'I can start work later.' She should have written 'I can start work earlier.' but made a mistake.)

Have I got it right? :)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.

• Seems rather petty of them to not agree to a reduced lunch break, not something I would do but the upside is if you can stomach the loss in earnings you do have the start and end times you need.

How is it petty? They want people in the office from 9 until 5.

If they let her be in the office from 9 until 4:30 with no loss of pay, everyone will want to do the same.

They'd be stupid to agree.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport