Mortgage App - Late Payments...Help please!

Looking for some help please, my partner had an AIP through a broker for a Natwest Mortgage. He placed an offer on a house and offer was accepted yesterday. He was getting his paperwork together last night for the application when he noticed two utility accounts from a previous address in 2012. They are both with Scottish Gas and total around £300. He has never been chased for these amounts and until last night had no clue that they existed. The problem is, they are both sitting with a '6' late payment flag and have been updated every month since Feb 2012 (when we moved out of that address).

Given that they are now statute barred (we live in Scotland) and no attempt has ever been made to collect (we've moved house twice since but He's always been on electoral roll) are they likely to mean he will not be accepted for a mortgage app?

Cannot get a hold of broker to advise of situation so we're stuck worrying ourselves sick about this!

Comments

• Get a copy of all 3 credit reports, does it show on all of them?
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Not sure, it was equifax he checked last night. He also tried Noddle and it's on there. Is it Experian and Callcredit that are the other 2?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Noddle and Call Credit are one and the same, so only Experian remains.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • That's right, Experian and Call Credit.

Ok Natwest are highly likely to see the issue however the fact he's passed a DIP is quite positive.

At this stage I would entrust the broker as I'd like to think they were aware of the issue before they decided to go to Natwest.

If this application doesn't get approved there will almost certainly be other options available so don't despair.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • That's right, Experian and Call Credit.

Ok Natwest are highly likely to see the issue however the fact he's passed a DIP is quite positive.

At this stage I would entrust the broker as I'd like to think they were aware of the issue before they decided to go to Natwest.

If this application doesn't get approved there will almost certainly be other options available so don't despair.

Thanks David, the broker has been brilliant so far. He advised my partner to go for 95% mortgage as the amount he was looking for was quite low (75k) and to go through Natwest as he banks with RBS so they would be able to see account management etc.

Really annoyed at the utility company though, we dont even think he owes the money as AFAIK we were paid up to date when we left and no attempt ever made to chase alleged debt.

Just a bit worried that it's all went a bit too smoothly until now and the cynics in us are expecting it to all come crashing down lol!
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,412
    Forumite
    Broker has been 'brilliant so far', but did not check the credit files.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog wrote: »
    Broker has been 'brilliant so far', but did not check the credit files.

I don't know if he has or not...he didn't mention the late payments if he has done one.

I meant he has brilliant with my partner who is a total novice, he's walked him through the process and been very supportive.

Your comment isn't very helpful, incidentally.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    Forumite
    The broker shouldn't have been recommending lenders or submitting applications without first asking you to obtain a copy of a credit file so he could establish such issues weren't there.

Knowing the are, it would have given you an opportunity to resolve them before making an offer and applying for a mortgage.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 6,968
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    talulah25 wrote: »
    Your comment isn't very helpful, incidentally.

Think all they were doing in pointing out that your broker should checked this at the outset.

As for the credit file itself did your husband inform Scottish Gas of his new address?
  • BoGoF wrote: »
    Think all they were doing in pointing out that your broker should checked this at the outset.

As for the credit file itself did your husband inform Scottish Gas of his new address?

I think so but not 100% certain of that, if we had known of it, we would have paid it obviously. It's only £300, to think that his credit file and chances of a mortgage could be dashed by that is pretty awful.

My partner has obtained credit with no issues since then, an unsecured loan of £20k last year for a car and to consolidate debt and he has 2 credit cards, one unused and the other with under 1k on it (which will be down to £500) in next few days. No other missed/late payments and every section of his credit file is 'green' (on Equifax traffic light system).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure