The Unclaimed Assets Register (UAR)

Has anyone used the Unclaimed Asset Register?

The Unclaimed Assets Register (UAR) is a service provided by Experian – the leading global information services company.

The Unclaimed Assets Register (UAR) reunites consumers with their lost financial assets and providers. It helps insurers, pension providers, financial institutions and listed companies address the issue of unclaimed money by providing a single source to search for lost investments.

Businesses can regularly submit their customer data to the Register for tracing to help reunite consumers with lost assets, as well as authenticate a consumers entitlement to assets.

https://www.uar.co.uk/Help/About

If you did, what was the outcome?

Cheers fj

Comments

• My father in law died in 2006 and we knew there were some share dividends that we missed when we were sorting out the estate, as we received a few letters from Prosearch back then. This January I entered his details into the Unclaimed Assets Register (UAR). It came back saying no records found, £25 down the drain then I thought.

However since then we have received a letter from Prosearch about Alliance & Leicester divis, another from Capita about National Grid and now a letter from Santander about dormant accounts. I can NOT believe this is a coincidence. Incidentally we have followed all three up, but not yet received any cash back.

Can I also suggest that anyone using the UAR who is an executor adds their address to the list of the deceased's addresses.
  • mick2me
    mick2me Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 November 2017 at 10:37AM
    I have recently used UAR to trace some lost account, small Building societies that were swallowed up by bigger building societies then by Santander Bank. The Building societies were National & Provincial, Bradford & Bingley, and Leicester Building societies.

The UAR search cost me £25 charged to my credit card

I received the following from UAR

Thank you for your recent enquiry to The Unclaimed Assets Register (UAR).
    A search of the Register has now been completed but we regret to inform you that we have been unable to identify any matches between the data provided by you and that supplied by the financial institutions.
    We confirm that all the information provided on the search request form was included in the search. We are sorry that the UAR was not able to trace any assets for you on this occasion.

I ran a parallel search through the (FREE) mylostaccount bba.org.uk and received the following reply from mylostaccount

I am pleased to advise you that Santander UK plc have indicated that they may have traced a dormant account in the name of *My Name* that you have quoted and a letter will be sent to you from the bank, within the next 28days, to validate your claim.
    British Bankers' Association
    The Voice of Banking.

Now Why did Experian not find this account when mylostaccount did,
    and should I be entitled to reclaim my £25 from Experian via my credit card?

I will attend Santander Bank today, which just happens to be my main bank at this time.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Not quite doing the same thing, but Gov.uk provides details of how to find / search for Bona Vacantia estates (after a person dies with no known relatives, or the estate executors cannot trace those named) at
    https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/unclaimed-estates-list
    The list is updated from time to time and can be downloaded free.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a similar experience with the more expensive asset-tracing service offered by Landmark. Despite charging a three-figure sum for this search, they do not include accounts held with Yorkshire Building Society (one of the largest in the UK, with three million members). So when accounts with the Yorkshire came to light some time after probate had been obtained I asked them for a refund: unfortunately they refused.

I wish there were some regulator that covered this kind of activity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure