Pursued by HMRC for overpaid tax credits from 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with get in contact with them. I owe them £850 from a few years ago, I paid them £400 lump sum over the phone and the rest I'm paying back monthly and will finish in March.

They were very helpful, I didn't have to pay them £400 lump sum I could have done it all monthly but I wanted it done as quick as possible

Phone them :)
  • Give them a call, to be fair I've always found them to be pretty reasonable. I think from HMRC point of view, as long as there is an agreement to pay back an overpayment, the're happy. Only offer what you can afford: £900 isn't huge in the scheme of things. Tell them you can afford £10/20 per month. I bet they accept it.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 November 2017 at 12:09PM
    Options
    There is a procedure to follow to dispute tax credit over payments, have you done that yet ?

If not, look on the HMRC website for details of how to do it. (although time limits do apply).

HMRC have wide ranging powers to recoup this money from you, it wont go away, the only way it will disappear without been paid, is if the debt is included in an insolvency of some kind.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure