Everyday Ordinary Man Approaching Full Retirement at 59.

Options

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and then have a wonderful summer and enjoy planning just what you want to do and when! (and not be stuck with the constraints of having to holiday at peak times and peak prices with the school hols!!!)
    Enjoy

I'm off on the first of 3 cruises for the summer..... and no, it wasn't planned like that. The first cruise is my 4th attempt to go to Iceland! with a cruise line that is new to me.It's also the first time the new knees have been cruising, the younger one is only just 6 months old!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all, hope it's OK if I add my story. I'm 63 and would probably worked 1 more year if circumstances hadn't changed, but the firm I work for is relocating which would mean 23 miles each way as opposed to 8. I work 4 days a week. This move is going to happen at the end of October and we crunched the numbers and decided make the decision to go now. My actual leaving date is
    July 20th 16 working days..
    My wife is 57 and will continue to work full time.probably until she is 61 which will qualify for full State pension at 66
    I have a works pension that pays currently £450 so I'm expecting that to go up to about £550 as it will not be taxed.
    I am perfectly happy and capable to take on the garden, housework etc to release our weekend time together, I've already dusted the bike off and found my swimming trunks.
    We have no mortgage, or debt to worry about, and approx £80000 is savings and wifes pension fund so I'm sure our finances will be OK.
    I am looking forward to my new life . The 16 days still seem a long time..wish me luck.M
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 June 2017 at 8:28PM
    Options
    excelpaul wrote: »
    Just under a week to go! Next Friday morning there will be a brief presentation during our weekly briefing. At lunchtime I believe a reception has been arranged for current and past members of staff(from previous school too) to drop in to say goodbye and on Sunday an afternoon tea for members of my department. Absolutely fine for me as I really want things to be fairly low key.
    Looking forward to these events.
    I have also been asked about exam invigilation next year and occasional supply within my faculty which is fine by me!
    Will let you know how things go. Have a good week.

You'll really enjoy Sundays from now on!

I did supply firstly first year, gird fun, kids were surprised to see me and I was asked more than once if I got paid. One boy said I was 'emergency back-up.'

No invigilation for me though. I have tinnitus so silence is unpleasant.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    One boy said I was 'emergency back-up.'
    One boy was so impressed with my morning's supply, he stayed behind at lunch time and told me I should consider getting a proper teaching job and a class of my own. :)

"Out of the mouths of babes....."

P.S. Sorry, I thought I'd written my story here, but on closer examination, I find I haven't, yet. Maybe later....it's rather involved! :o
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Mnd wrote: »
    Hi all, hope it's OK if I add my story. I'm 63 and would probably worked 1 more year if circumstances hadn't changed, but the firm I work for is relocating which would mean 23 miles each way as opposed to 8. I work 4 days a week. This move is going to happen at the end of October and we crunched the numbers and decided make the decision to go now. My actual leaving date is
    July 20th 16 working days..
    My wife is 57 and will continue to work full time.probably until she is 61 which will qualify for full State pension at 66
    I have a works pension that pays currently £450 so I'm expecting that to go up to about £550 as it will not be taxed.
    I am perfectly happy and capable to take on the garden, housework etc to release our weekend time together, I've already dusted the bike off and found my swimming trunks.
    We have no mortgage, or debt to worry about, and approx £80000 is savings and wifes pension fund so I'm sure our finances will be OK.
    I am looking forward to my new life . The 16 days still seem a long time..wish me luck.M

You won't need luck - you've already made provision for your future so enjoy it!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you Gers for your comment, good luck to Paul as well
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dear all
    Many thanks for your recent comments. Only 2 more working days!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Davesnave
    Would be great to read your story!
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to the world of seven day weekends Excelpaul. Sorry to read about the need to have kidney stones removed, but at least you know the ropes and recovery process.

I'm posting this early as I'm away for a couple of days. I hope your leaving celebrations go well and give you great pleasure and happy memories, and a well deserved sense of a career fulfilled and nicely rounded off.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 June 2017 at 8:01AM
    Options
    excelpaul wrote: »
    Davesnave
    Would be great to read your story!

Last day for you today! Well done.:T The new adventure starts here! :D

OK here's my story. Not sure I'd do it again, but we could have done worse:

I'm yet another ex-teacher who decided to retire early, mainly because I was juggling with a small business and the early dementia care for my father. Although I left full-time at 52, I was lured back for a 2/3 job share, and several years supply on a fairly predictable basis followed.

I finally put down the whiteboard pen at 57. Knowing I'd miss the children, (juniors in my case) a staged withdrawal helped.

I tried to hang on for the full pension, but the plant nursery business my wife had been developing with me was so limited by lack of space, we couldn't survive on it alone. We'd planned to move and expand the business when the mortgage was paid in 2005, but in that year my father died, leaving us with his property to renovate and a debt to Allied Dunbar. He'd taken out an annuity, the same size as our paid-up mortgage, so we just re-mortgaged.

We spent 18months refurbishing and selling Dad’s small house, putting ours on the market just in time to fall foul of the Northern Rock debacle and the Crash that followed! Our first buyers had a self-cert mortgage arranged with NR. Long story short, we found and lost three ‘buyers,’ finally selling for £60k under the original agreed price. However, with the youngest set for uni, we were free....

Our plan to restart our business in West Wales foundered twice when we lost buyers, so 2009 saw us in rented accommodation. Finding suitable work/live premises was difficult, and vendors in Wales seemed in denial over the Crash, so we were surprised to find an affordable, run-down smallholding in Devon. Our vendor turned-out to be a head teacher, starting a new life/new identity for complicated reasons. Despite a gazump attempt, she stuck with us; she was moving to a school in the area we were leaving.;)

This smallholding needed much work to reach its potential. For the first few years we concentrated on running our business, taming acres of unkempt land and making local contacts. As it’s an agriculturally-tied property, we felt obliged to earn some of our living from the land, until we realised the local authority wasn’t interested. As the ‘farming’ began to overtake horticulture, we decided to close the business and focus on the house, which was in urgent need of refurbishment. By then I was 65 and time seemed to be running short. At least the state pension meant we were no longer in deficit every month. My wife is younger than me and won’t receive hers till 2026.

By a stroke of luck, a family friend with building experience moved to a nearby village, so in 2014 we hired him to begin work on our refurb, offering ourselves as labourers and using friends/contacts with other skills, as appropriate. Now, 3 years later, we’re coming to the end of this project, which has cost most of our savings. However, we have a ‘new’ house, which is much more energy-efficient, and we’ve stayed within budget. If we had to sell to down-size, we’d not lose-out.

A 68, a property like this might become a burden at any time, yet developing and maintaining it has kept me fit. Unfortunately, my OH has more health–related problems than me, and these haven’t been helped by activities like the complete re-roofing we carried out last year. We do have flexibility; recent changes in planning legislation meaning that we have an agricultural building which could now be sold for conversion, and none of the land is tied to the house in a legal sense.

So, a somewhat odd retirement adventure here, based not on exploration far afield, but mainly focused on the locality, which is picturesque and still largely unchanged, being off the main tourist trails. Village life is simple, but ours is a sociable one, with little of the ‘us and them,’ sometimes found. Here, you either take part, or you don’t, but nobody cares where you’re from. I would say it’s around 50:50 locals and incomers.

With a somewhat reduced teachers’ pension + the state one, we’re living on around £17k a year, but it’s do-able and there’s useful bartering too. For example, last night a partner farmer arrived with over 15kg of beef for the freezer, all of it much better than the usual supermarket fare. We might be in tatty clothes, but we never go hungry!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure