Plusnet price rises

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 May 2017 at 10:29AM
    Aletank wrote: »
    I joined my phone line saver and fibre in Aug 2016 with a 18 month deal.
    Can I leave both services without penalty ?

Did you receive an email telling you about changes? If you did then you definitely can leave without penalty and they will refund the phone line saver. If you haven't received an email then phone them and ask why you didn't get an email.

I also have line rental saver and they said that because the call setup costs were increasing by 2p a call, then it still counted as a change that I could leave for. They told me that every customer will have a change, no matter how minor & are therefore eligible.
    What's the best way to do this ?
    1- Just join a new service / say nothing and hope all goes ok without any problems and any money will be refunded automatically ?
    Or
    2 - Contact them 1st to say I'm going to be leaving and setting up with a new supplier etc ?

The email asks you to give them 14 days notice of the switch & they will charge you for leaving unless you tell them that the reason you are leaving is because of the changes to your account.

So it's worth phoning them up and ask them what is going to change & say that you are going to be taking up their offer of leaving without penalty because of the changes and they will be hearing from your new supplier soon.
  • jimmylad007
    jimmylad007 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I can't wait to leave Plusnet but I'm still waiting for my email telling me about the price rise. Should they all be through by now?
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, I've had the email, Can I leave my broadband without penalty also ?
    I'm going to go for the BT offer, Quidco​ & BT cash back card deal.
    Thanks for the info !
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    I can't wait to leave Plusnet but I'm still waiting for my email telling me about the price rise. Should they all be through by now?

Still awaiting mine.
  • phillw
    edited 16 May 2017 at 5:43PM

The email should confirm that.

try clicking on the link after "If you can’t see this email, click here" if it's not clear.

I would have thought so, I got mine 2 weeks ago. I didn't spot it in my inbox though until a week later. The subject was "Important news about your service". Maybe check your spam folder.
  • icharus
    icharus Posts: 103 Forumite
    I'm going to go for the BT offer, Quidco​ & BT cash back card deal.
    Thanks for the info !

Can you have both Quidco AND BT cash back card deal?
  • Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    icharus wrote: »
    Can you have both Quidco AND BT cash back card deal?
    Worked for me in the past
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I joined my phone line saver and fibre in Aug 2016 with a 18 month deal.
    Can I leave both services without penalty ?
    What's the best way to do this ?
    1- Just join a new service / say nothing and hope all goes ok without any problems and any money will be refunded automatically ?
    Or
    2 - Contact them 1st to say I'm going to be leaving and setting up with a new supplier etc ?
    I doubt that you can leave either without penalty, as you will not have a price rise. Your line is prepaid so fixed for 12 months (ie beyond the cut off date for leaving because of a rise) and your broadband is not due to rise.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    phillw wrote: »

I also have line rental saver and they said that because the call setup costs were increasing by 2p a call, then it still counted as a change that I could leave for. They told me that every customer will have a change, no matter how minor & are therefore eligible.

My situation will not change as line rental is prepaid, so fixed, by ADSL is free and has no price rise anyway and I have an Anytime call package, where the only rise would have been if I had an international calls bolt on.

That does seem something very odd for a call centre person to say and if you ask another , will probably get a different response.

It used to be that you only leave penalty free from the service with a rise in costs, but on another thread, curiosity about how the compulsory combined prices will affect the situation has been mentioned. (A reply was that since , with PlusNet in particular, you can have standalone line or internet,then they can treat the combination as individual services just billed togther.)
  • phillw
    edited 16 May 2017 at 8:05PM
    teddysmum wrote: »
    I doubt that you can leave either without penalty, as you will not have a price rise. Your line is prepaid so fixed for 12 months (ie beyond the cut off date for leaving because of a rise) and your broadband is not due to rise.

I have line rental saver until the end of the year and free broadband. I phoned them up to confirm as their email on what was changing was pretty vague

"These changes are happening from the 29th June:

You’ll still save at least £30 a year with our Line Rental Saver (compared to the standard price of monthly line rental). Once your Line Rental Saver expires, you can choose to renew or pay monthly line rental. Line Rental Saver is increasing from £185.88 to £197.88 (equivalent of £16.49 a month) and monthly line rental is increasing from £17.99 to £18.99 a month.
    Your Line Rental still includes free calls to other Plusnet Home Phone customers.
    The cost of your broadband isn’t changing."

The first guy told me that everyone has a change, he transferred me to someone else who told me that the call setup charge was increasing by 2p. There is no reference to this in the email they sent, which sounds kinda illegal.

They did however put in an email that I could leave penalty free.

"We�re sorry you�ve decided to leave us because of the changes we�ve made to our home phone pricing and call rates. As agreed, because you�ve told us within 30 days of receiving the email we won�t be applying any early termination charges."

teddysmum wrote: »
    My situation will not change as line rental is prepaid, so fixed, by ADSL is free and has no price rise anyway and I have an Anytime call package, where the only rise would have been if I had an international calls bolt on.

The Anytime call package doesn't cover calls to all numbers, are you sure the call setup increase doesn't affect the ones it doesn't cover?

According to:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7693-price-rises-at-plusnet-and-latest-broadband-offers

The headline changes are:

Line rental rise of £1/m from £17.99 to £18.99
    Line rental saver will now be £197.88, giving a monthly equivalent of £16.49/m
    New fair usage limit of 150 calls or 1000 minutes (whichever limit is reached first) will apply to call plans that have inclusive 0845 and 0870 calls
    Call setup fee rises 2p to 21p
    Calls to mobiles rise from 12.54 pence per minute to 14.65 pence per minute
    Anytime International 300 call plans will now cost £8/month
    Only applying to existing customers, Anytime, Plusnet Anytime and Talk Anytime call plans will increase from £6.50 to £7/m.

The fair usage limit on 0845 & 0870 calls & the mobile call rise jumps out to me. You can pay extra for 100 minutes of mobiles, but obviously outside those 100 minutes you're paying the new rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure