Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card

Comments

• Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2017 at 4:01PM
    Hmm need to decide what to do. AMEX has always been a pain for me anyway - seems to be about 50/50 whether shops accept it or not because of the fees, and it can be very embarrassing trying it then finding it's not accepted. The till often throws a hissy fit, in worst cases they have to call a supervisor over to help cancel the transaction before you can use another card etc. All while the queue grows impatient behind you. So really don't know if I want to switch to full AMEX.

Amazon is tempting. Same 0.5% deal but 0.75% on things you buy through them. Only in the form of Amazon vouchers, but I buy a lot of stuff there anyway. I also think they're more likely to eventually add Android Pay support (which Barclays will never do).

Or just simplify and do away with cashback cards. I do wonder if carrying extra cards and having extra accounts to log into when budgeting is really worth the £20-40 or so per year that I earn on them. (At best, as that's with most of the big spending being on the Amex card. Maybe that answers my quandary - the places where you spend big often accept it)
  • Rang to cancel, hoped I might get the £50 incentive to stay that they did when the dual card was introduced, no luck so cut them up.
    Haven't used it for a while anyway.
    Currently using the Asda Cashback Plus card. Its Asda vouchers, not cashback but works if do some of your shopping in Asda. Has a £3 monthly fee, but gives 2% in Asda, including petrol, 1% everywhere else. Between me and the wife we spend about £1K a month on it, about £300 at Asda, including petrol, and about £700 elsewhere, main shopping at Aldi. Means I get about 1% back in Asda voucher after the £3 fee. Works for me, but only if you do some of your shopping at Asda.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 10 May 2017 at 9:27PM
    Rang to cancel, hoped I might get the £50 incentive to stay that they did when the dual card was introduced, no luck so cut them up.....

Blimey, looks like I missed out on £50 a few years ago!

I think the difference this time is the vastly reduced commission that they receive since the EU legislation last year.

(EDIT should say as someone that runs my own business) - It is true that the % rate that I pay on card transactions has reduced significantly(typically down by 1%) the fact of the matter, in order to maintain profits, the intermediarys such as streamline, Worldpay, sagepay have only introduced minimum card charges and charge for extras like PCI compliance which now costs me as a business £50 extra a year and 'standing charges' for a virtual terminal have increased by £10 up from £20 to £30 a month, so the end result - consumer is worse off in CB, business pay higher charges overall the credit card issuers even lose in the reduced % they get, the only winners are the card acquiring companies that are in the middle.

Typical example of meddling with a system that the majority were happy with and making things 10 times worse !!
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    WillPS wrote: »
    Apparently not, there's communities of people who've done it several times now.

Amex USA made all the sign up bonuses one time only a few years ago. For whatever reason, the UK branch has not (yet) followed suit.

Maybe the merchant fee caps might change this sooner than otherwise...
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Maybe the merchant fee caps might change this sooner than otherwise...
    Amex's core products (Basic, Green, Gold, Platinum, Centurion branded) are not subject to the interchange cap, so if they change it'd be in reaction to others who are affected - but Amex are pretty much the only game in town for churning now anyway.

The situation with BA, Nectar and Costco branded cards is less clear.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    planteria wrote: »
    i have the M&S Card currently too. they have only given me a £2k limit though, so the IFP is not very useful :undecided.......
    That's my only concern too,

If they send mine out with a silly limit, then it's back over to Amex.

My card came today also with a £2k limit - in comparison my Barclaycard and Amex have limits just above £10k.. What on earth is the point in issuing a card with such a low limit? What a waste of my time even applying.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Marchitiello
    Marchitiello Posts: 1,266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    My card came today also with a £2k limit - in comparison my Barclaycard and Amex have limits just above £10k.. What on earth is the point in issuing a card with such a low limit? What a waste of my time even applying.

If you have high limits elsewhere and new cards will increase your available credit to earning ratio, new card applications will tend to come with lower limits. I have two cards with limits above or just under £20k but when I applied for another card they gave me only a £5k limit last year.

MBNA for example has a tendency to allow new application but automatically transfer some of the limits from other cards you own with them, or use the application data and reduce the overall credit line with them (I know someone who had two cards with them with £10k limits on each and when he applied for a third one because of the airline miles bonus offer, MBNA reduced the first two cards limits at £4K each and the new one at £2k, effectively halving in credit line with them- the same guy had opened new cards with other issuers in the months before...). With me, the simply moved some of the existing credit line onto the latest card, reducing the previous one.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,638 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    That's a shame - I'm a sole trader and earn around £70 a month using the Amex 1% cashback.
    Has the annual cashback cap of £200 been removed then?
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Typical example of meddling with a system that the majority were happy with and making things 10 times worse !!

no doubt. along with forcing the break up and weakening of UK banks.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Cloudane wrote: »
    Hmm need to decide what to do. AMEX has always been a pain for me anyway - seems to be about 50/50 whether shops accept it or not because of the fees, and it can be very embarrassing trying it then finding it's not accepted. The till often throws a hissy fit, in worst cases they have to call a supervisor over to help cancel the transaction before you can use another card etc. All while the queue grows impatient behind you. So really don't know if I want to switch to full AMEX.

how recent is that experience? in the rare instances that Amex isn't accepted, and i don't anticipate it in the couple of places that i know don't accept Amex, the transaction just doesn't complete and i whip out a Mastercard. no hassle at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure