PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sweet Chilli Houmous??? Is it easy to make

Options
Bought a tub of sweet chilli houmous on Saturday in Aldi's and had some at lunchtime and discovered how nice it is .Any one made it at home and if so was it easy as I really enjoyed it .Plus if you HM it how long would it last in the fridge (apart from me eating it all of course ):):):))

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Jackie

Humous is one of my favourites, not a made sweet chilli one, but I would swirl some sweet chilli sauce through a basic version - I make it in a food processor

1 can drained chickpeas
    1/2 crushed cloves of garlic (to taste)
    Juice of a lemon
    A good glug of olive oil
    A teaspoon of Tahini if you have some
    Season to taste

Whizz together till blended then adjust to taste ie a bit more olive oil, salt pepper etc - I have made with Harrissa stirred through it, so guessing sweet chilli would be similar

As for how long it lasts, not long in our house, but guessing you would be okay for a week in a sealed box in the fridge :).

Hope it helps, probably someone with a more suitable recipe along soon x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It must be fate for this Q&A to appear as I bought a jar of tahini paste just last week for the express purpose of making my own houmous. Thanks IM for the recipe. :T
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Gaia
    Gaia Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I make homemade hummus – I add paprika and it's delish.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." Anon.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love the idea of it .... then think of the calories and shy away from it. However much you have, you have to eat it all ... and then something to dip in it (let's face it, a carrot's not as exciting as a tortilla chip!) ... you can write off 1000 calories in under 5 minutes without even realising you're eating .... and still go on to have "a proper meal" 2 hours later.

:)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Options
    Tortilla chips and humous don't come from the same continent, so you could try dipping pitta in it, or having it with salad or in a sandwich.

Humous is high in iron, low in sugar, and the fat content depends on how much olive oil you use - a 'glug' in a tin isn't much, and if it needs more liquid you can use the liquid you drained from the can (or cooking liquid if you started with dried chickpeas). And it lasts for ages in the fridge, doesn't require any cooking (which makes it ideal for you), and has far more nutritional value and fewer calories than most pre-prepared foods.
  • 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    How vital is the tahini?
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    2childmum wrote: »
    How vital is the tahini?

I have made it with and without, it's a nice extra touch, but is still nice without :D

I like Humous and grated Carrot sandwiches BTW, not just as a dip :j
    Goes well with middle eastern Style Lamb too
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been eating and enjoying the tub I bought on saturday and will use the last of it tonight as a topping for my salad.I shall certainly make some myself next week as I do have some tinned chickpeas in the cupboard one of which was Y/s dow to 20p:) I have been using it as a spread on crackers as I don't eat bread and topping it with tomato or sliced cucumber made a nice change from philly cheese. I don't eat tortillas or crisps of any sort and only have crackers as I stopped eating bread and their side products pitta etc about two years ago Don't miss them either or the stone and a half that I dropped doing it as well :) Now and again I may eat a wrap at my Dds but very rarely and even at their BBQ I never have a bun with the meat
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    Hi Jackie

Humous is one of my favourites, not a made sweet chilli one, but I would swirl some sweet chilli sauce through a basic version - I make it in a food processor

1 can drained chickpeas
    1/2 crushed cloves of garlic (to taste)
    Juice of a lemon
    A good glug of olive oil
    A teaspoon of Tahini if you have some
    Season to taste

Whizz together till blended then adjust to taste ie a bit more olive oil, salt pepper etc - I have made with Harrissa stirred through it, so guessing sweet chilli would be similar

As for how long it lasts, not long in our house, but guessing you would be okay for a week in a sealed box in the fridge :).

Hope it helps, probably someone with a more suitable recipe along soon x

I have a Kenwood food mixer, and a blender which do you think would be the best to make this in ? sorry if the question sounds a bit daft , put it down to my age :):):) I know you have a super douper processor Islandmaid
    JackieO xx
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I have a Kenwood food mixer, and a blender which do you think would be the best to make this in ? sorry if the question sounds a bit daft , put it down to my age :):):) I know you have a super douper processor Islandmaid
    JackieO xx

LOL .... "put it down to my age". It's a GOOD question. I think those who have gadgets forget that many people don't have them or don't understand what they've got.

I'm going to take a wild guess here that it's the blender.

I'm not au fait with gadgets...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport