Equifax Fraud Alert Letter

I recently received a letter from Equifax informing me that they had received an online application for my Equifax Credit Report. According to the letter, the application was blocked as it was suspected to be fraudulent. It also says that the details of the application have been logged with CIFAS. It goes on to suggest that they will send me an Equifax credit report free of charge, along with free reports from Experian and Callcredit, but in order to do this I need to send all my personal information, including copies of passport/driving licence, recent utility bill etc.

I am not and have never been a customer of Equifax and am suspicious of the offer of free credit reports from all 3 companies. I've searched online to see if I can find information about people receiving similar letters, but haven't found anything.

I phoned Equifax customer services but found this to be confusing and unhelpful.

So my question is, has anyone heard of Equifax sending out letters like this, out of the blue, asking for personal details in order to send free credit reports?

Thanks

Comments

• Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Oddities wrote: »
    I am not and have never been a customer of Equifax

If you have ever taken out credit, you will almost certainly have a credit file with Equifax, Experian and Call Credit. You don't choose to be their customer.

Have you checked the address you are asked to send the documents to is definitely an Equifax address?
  • Think its a total scam in order to get your details.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    They don't provide free credit reports.

There is a £2 statutory charge.

Anything like this should be treated with the utmost suspicion.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I recently received a letter from Equifax informing me that they had received an online application for my Equifax Credit Report. According to the letter, the application was blocked as it was suspected to be fraudulent. It also says that the details of the application have been logged with CIFAS. It goes on to suggest that they will send me an Equifax credit report free of charge, along with free reports from Experian and Callcredit, but in order to do this I need to send all my personal information, including copies of passport/driving licence, recent utility bill etc.

I am not and have never been a customer of Equifax and am suspicious of the offer of free credit reports from all 3 companies. I've searched online to see if I can find information about people receiving similar letters, but haven't found anything.

I phoned Equifax customer services but found this to be confusing and unhelpful.

So my question is, has anyone heard of Equifax sending out letters like this, out of the blue, asking for personal details in order to send free credit reports?

Thanks

Surely that would have rung alarm bells?? Why on earth would Equifax send you a credit report of their competitors? It's a scam.

What address did they want you to send your details to?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Go to the following sites:

https://www.noddle.co.uk (the front end for call credit)
    https://www.clearscore.com (the front end for equifax)

Register for free and double check there are no suspicious entries

Obviously don't respond to this scam or send them any information
  • ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sourcrates wrote: »
    They don't provide free credit reports.

There is a £2 statutory charge.

Anything like this should be treated with the utmost suspicion.

I believe in a case of suspected fraud all 3 agencies are required to send you your report free of charge. I would say it's genuine, You just need to obviously verify where your are sending this requested personal information.
  • Firstly, thanks for your replies.

The address is the official Equifax PO Box address. I'm fairly certain this came from Equifax, it just felt strange that they were offering to provide a free service. As I said, in the letter they state that the other 2 credit agencies would also provide my reports free of charge.

Does anyone know if there is some law that compels credit agencies to provide these reports free of charge in cases of fraud or attempted fraud? From ashp's reply it seems there might be, although it doesn't seem to be well known.

I just thought I'd try to get some advice before sending all this personal information to them and to see whether anyone had had any experience of having been sent a similar letter.
  • By the way, Equifax aren't suggesting they'll directly send me reports from Experian and Callcredit - there's a tick box on the form that gives them to go ahead to share my information with the other 2 agencies, which will prompt them to send my free credit reports.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I recently received a letter from Equifax informing me that they had received an online application for my Equifax Credit Report. According to the letter, the application was blocked as it was suspected to be fraudulent. It also says that the details of the application have been logged with CIFAS.

How do they know the application was fraudulent and not just a case of you entering the details incorrectly? (I know in this instance you said it's not you) I mean lots of people don't know the date of when they opened certain accounts, especially if they are older. Genuine question :think:

Also, you will need to see what type of marker they've placed against you with CIFAS.
    https://www.cifas.org.uk/what_are_the_fraud_types_cifas_uses

Equifax Ltd
    Customer Service Centre
    PO Box 10036
    Leicester
    LE3 4FS

Is that the address in the letter?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Yes it's the same address in the letter.

I don't know what criteria they use to see whether a credit report application is fraudulent, but I'm glad they seem to have measures in place.
    At the moment, all that I'm aware of is that someone claiming to be me has applied for my credit report. I'm not sure what they could do with this information but am pleased that the application appears to have been blocked.

The next step seems to be to send my information to Equifax in order to see if there are any other incidents in my reports, but I wanted to make sure this was the right thing to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure