Premium Bond Winner ?

Comments

• harpo1
    harpo1 Posts: 164
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    :j :j I bought £7.5k 5 years ago - a bit of a legacy really. The first couple of years were quite good - I reckon roughly 400-500. But this year has been outstanding, so far 1x1000 win & 2 of £50 quid.
    Mind you the kids who have £1k each bought @ the same time have only won £100. I seem to win every time I threaten to sell the things for not doing enough for me !!!
  • john269
    john269 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Bond tickets get randomly selected out of a hat sort of thing they old tickets and new tickets have the same chance of getting selected.

It may look like more new tickets are getting drawn out of the hat, but that is likely to happen as they didn't very long increase the maximum that you can invest into the premium bonds, which is £30,000. This has increase the amount of tickets that has been bought over a sort period of time and not all that long ago.
    trademark wrote:
    im interested in winning premium bond holders , or not as the case may be , please post your winnings and holding as well as length of time held , i have a theory that newer bonds win more prizes , id prefer not to make this a discussion area of that arguement but i would be interested in your winnings

just a bit of background on me ... im fully invested elsewhere so bonds are another way of trying to be tax free ... im buying £1,000 per month on average and ive only just started this time around , although i have some million year old bonds my grandparents once bought me

current holding £5,150

winnings for august ..one prize of £100

held since .. may 2005
  • trademark
    trademark Posts: 589 Forumite
    im not being understood here ..... i know that there are many newer bonds than older .

i actually mean my own personal bonds .... not the millions of newer bonds purchased
  • udydudy
    udydudy Posts: 559
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In July 2004, the winner of the £1 million jackpot had just £17 in Premium Bonds, purchased in 1959, and 9 of the last 12 jackpot winners held less than the £30,000 maximum. The more Bonds held, the better the chances of winning, but this doesn’t mean prizes are won exclusively by higher value holdings.

I personally hold a very small amount (1350) and my wife (1300) we initially put in 1250 each 2 yrs ago and sinc then I have won 3 x 50 and she 2 x 50. The first win both of us got the warrants which we encashed and then later joined the reinvestment plan.

We intend to slowly try and invest regularily upto the limit. It more to luck that the wins are not to new or old bonds. We did notwin anything for the first year and my wife was wanting to put it elsewhere and then we won 5 this year. The returns are very good I would say 150 on 1250 (isnt that 6%) for me and 100 on 1250 (isnt that 4%) .

Coupled with the chance of winning a million (sorry too dumb to calculate the percentage on that one!!)

I personally think people invest in premium bonds for the safety and the chance of winning the big one rather than anything else.
    :beer::beer::beer:
  • A friend of mine has had £300 worth for 4 years. Not won anything. Relative has had some bonds for about 30 years and hasnt won anything at all in that time. PF
  • 1jacks64
    1jacks64 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Hi trademark,

Alan Sugar (my fee's going to Great Ormond Street) forgot to mention that he gains 40% tax relief for his fee for advertising this cr@p product :rolleyes: .

And just watch the "interest rate" go down relative to base rates once the government has got in the pots of money that Sugar is bringing in :mad: .

Another thing Alan Sugar didn't mention in his ad is that he would be donating any prizes that he wins on the Premium Bonds to Great Ormond Street LOL
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have about 10K in premium bonds, all bought in blocks. When I win I make a note of which block the winnings come from. I have two particular blocks of numbers which provide all the winnings and very rarely do the other blocks win. (One block if for £500 and the other £2000). Not sure what this proves, if anything, but have noticed that as soon as I buy any premium bonds I seem to win a small prize within the next couple of months.

My average winnings work out at about 3% per year, not brilliant I know, but I keep hoping for the Big One (or 2).
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Here is a theory. If there is a perception that new bonds win more than old bonds then there may be a tendancy for old bond numbers to be traded in for new bond numbers. Over time this perception will be reinforced by more dissatisfied losers, changing their old bonds for new. Gradually as the perception reinforces itself, existing bond holders will see this trend and add to it. The normal pot luck of prizes still holds. End of theory.
    J_B. (Thanks for lending your money to the treasury at a bargain rate).
  • Lopo
    Lopo Posts: 484 Forumite
    " 23 million people own £27 billion of Premium Bonds "

Would be fantastic if everyone chose to cash them in at the same time! - Lol !
    Beware Lego Men with Deep pockets...! :cool:
  • I must be strange. Wife and I have max. This year (8 months) we have had 3% (so average 4.5%). Last year only 3% over whole year. It's tax free, and almost as good as savings rates - we might (very big might) win the biggy. Certainly better than the lottery, and we can have our money back almost immediatly whenever we want. We did have them before, and also ran around 4/5% pa, but had to take them out for family reasons. Back in again late 2003 when we got the cash back. And no, I can't stand Alan Sugar either.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback