Simplest online SIPP

Wavering between H&L and Bestinvest for a SIPP.
Aged 60 transferring from Standard Life pension as need the 25%tf now.
Standard Life website just doesn't seem user friendly, for me anyway.

Obviously don't wish to pay charges/fees any more than I have to.
Main criteria is: tried and tested platform, ability to speak to someone if any concerns and website that is easy to use.

Any thoughts/experiences much appreciated. After tf will have around £33000 to invest. Would like to be able to access occasional lump sums as required.
Don't know much about investing, well nothing, but looking forward to the challenge.

Comments

• talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,492
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I went for Cavendish Online and Fundsnetwork, thousands of funds to choose, only 0.3% and no initial charges, no switching fees and no exit fees. Compare with your other choices.
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,175
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    talexuser wrote: »
    I went for Cavendish Online and Fundsnetwork, thousands of funds to choose, only 0.3% and no initial charges, no switching fees and no exit fees. Compare with your other choices.

Fidelity direct (not via Cavendish) might be better in this case - more expensive, but access to better trained people on the phone.

HL v.g. customer support via phone or email, but you pay for it. Watch out for exit fees!
    C
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Jobchange wrote: »
    Don't know much about investing, well nothing, but looking forward to the challenge.
    How will you decide what to invest in? As opposed to the how? HL, Bestinvest etc etc etc are just facilitators. They do not make investment decisions for you.

What is your money invested in now? Are you planning to keep the same investments? Can they be transferred in specie?
  • Thank you!

Don't find the Cavendish website that easy to use. Well can't find much about SIPP's anyway.

Will have a look at Fidelity. Someone mentioned on another thread that you can do a fantasy trial of various platforms prior to transferring, haven't worked out how to do that yet!:)

Realise they are just facilitators. Doing as much research as I can and intend to invest cautiously. Plan to have a portfolio that includes different types of investment including cash equivalents. I will never learn the (how and what) if I never try. Taking tips from here and taking in as much other information prior to committing.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    talexuser wrote: »

Does having thousands of funds to choose from really help?

It doesn't really, it just makes choosing a loser so much easier, or you fall into the trap of over diversification, while in reality you're just duplicating your investments and creating a highly risky portfolio.

Good luck with that, you'll need it.

Cheers fj
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,248
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Jobchange - Before you get too far down this road and before we all provide suggestions on how you can invest and certainly before what to invest in a couple of more fundamental questions:

How much of your retirement income does this fund represent?

How long do you expect to make use of it? This ties in with the answer to the first question as there is a lot of difference between if it is for Age 60 to 65/66 to top up other pension income until drawing State Pension as opposed to "for the rest of my life"?

Come to that are you actually retiring or will you still be working and paying into other pension schemes and just accessing the 25% TFLS for now?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Use X-o (Liberty Sipp) . Excellent customer service. Portal is basic but functional.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Use X-o (Liberty Sipp) . Excellent customer service. Portal is basic but functional.

How do you buy funds and bonds in an X-O SIPP?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    colsten wrote: »
    How do you buy funds and bonds in an X-O SIPP?

Bonds or bond funds? Buying a bond is just like buying a share. If it has an LSE listing.

I'm not a fan of funds. I prefer IT's. Which X-o caters for.

The SIPP is just a wrapper. I have three trading accounts with X-o in total. Vanilla, ISA and SIPP.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2015 at 7:40PM
    You could also take a look at Charles Stanley (CSD). I'm with them, good website and very helpful and efficient staff when doing the 25% PCLS.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure