New to shares

Hi all :)

I am new to shares and after hearing today the government a going to make lloyds shares available to the public then i want to buy some.

My question is to you guys (in the know) what process shall i use to buy them when they become available? i will buy so many and just leave them i wont be very active?

who should i use to buy them etc....

Help and advice much appreciated

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You have a few months before you can buy any Lloyds shares. You should be using that time to read up about investing and to determine whether it would really be a good idea to have 100% of your investment money in a single company. Most investment beginners are a lot better advised starting with funds as these invest in many companies and are far less risky than having all your eggs in one basket.

The Lloyds share offer might be a slight exception as there is a bonus involved but you still shouldn't rush into it.

Search the forum for 'recommended reading', there are some great suggestions of books and websites. They will also explain how buy shares.
    2010 Posts: 5,326
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all :)I am new to shares and after hearing today the government a going to make lloyds shares available to the public then i want to buy some.

You don`t have to wait, you can buy them right now for 77.4p each.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    2010 wrote: »
    You don`t have to wait, you can buy them right now for 77.4p each.
    ....plus dealing/trading costs of course!
    2010 Posts: 5,326
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    ....plus dealing/trading costs of course!

Of course.:p

It will be interesting to compare today`s price with next Springs.
    In the last year they have ranged between 89p and 71p.

There is another thread about them and i have said on that
    it`s not another R.Mail.
    The other thing is you can only be sure to get the full allocation if you apply for £1k or less.

Not for me but each to their own.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5335883
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    If you wait to buy the newly released shares next year, then anyone who bids for only £1,000 worth will get them. Also, if you hold them for a year, the gove will give you one share for every ten you own, a 10% discount!

Cheers fj
  • who should i buy them through? bank or online?
  • Sam_J12
    Sam_J12 Posts: 253 Forumite
    To register an interest, put your email here. The government will contact you in due course with details: https://www.gov.uk/lloydsshares/location

Personally I am not going to buy the shares as I have a preference for other types of investment, but I think buying them is a decent option with the discount/bonus. Just don't commit too much of your savings to it!
  • You might be able to buy them through your bank, but banks tend to be expensive stockbrokers.

If you're a small investor and you don't plan on buying any other shares, I think you can register directly through the government, but I don't know the website. I presume you'll get a share cert if you do it that way.

Another option is to purchase through an ex-only online broker. Personally, I use AJ Bell Youinvest (https://www.youinvest.co.uk/). Reasonable dealing fees, no account charges and easy to use platform (I say this as somebody who used to work for one of their direct competitors for a number of years...).

Also, they'll be held electronically, so generally easier (and cheaper) to sell when you're ready.
    I work in the financial services industry but I am not a financial adviser. I do not give financial advice. Anything I say here is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure