Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,515
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    colsten wrote: »
    Red rag for me
    1. if they need to bribe me with food and drink
    2. if investors have to pay for the 'free' booze and drink out of the charges levied on the investments

But each to their own.

I don't think you can really say an investment trust seminar is bribing investors even if in jest. No different to an AGM where the company provide some food & drink for shareholders.

There's still an option for a tracker with ITs, Aberdeen UK tracker. For private equity I hold Graphite and Aberdeen New Dawn for Far East.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Smithy101 wrote: »
    Also, Whichinvestmenttrust.com have an investment trust seminar on October 7th in London, are you attending that?
    Do you think it would be okay if I came along to the seminar you linked to? I don't hold any investment trusts at present but I've read about them and I am interested in investing in them?

Could I just register using the link you posted?

Thanks
  • Smithy101
    Smithy101 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Lukehere wrote: »
    Do you think it would be okay if I came along to the seminar you linked to? I don't hold any investment trusts at present but I've read about them and I am interested in investing in them?

Could I just register using the link you posted?

Thanks

Give it a go. It's an event for small investors, if that's you I can't see there being any problem.

Might be common courtesy to register on the website in case they cross reference it, I don't really know how it works TBH.
  • Smithy101 wrote: »
    Give it a go. It's an event for small investors, if that's you I can't see there being any problem.

Might be common courtesy to register on the website in case they cross reference it, I don't really know how it works TBH.

thanks Smithy101, I've registered for the seminar but I can't see how I register on the Which Investment Trust website or can you not register there too?
  • Smithy101
    Smithy101 Posts: 37 Forumite
    thanks Smithy101, I've registered for the seminar but I can't see how I register on the Which Investment Trust website or can you not register there too?

Yes you can register with your email address or Facebook etc.
    Go to whichinvestmenttrust.com and click the icon I've highlighted below:

Which_site_logon.jpg
  • oldwally
    oldwally Posts: 106
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello folks,
    This is my first post so forgive me if I miss anything out.

I'm aiming for long term growth and don't intend to touch the money for 10 years for the ISAs, much longer for the pension money.

Any thoughts?

Just one thought,I have one or two of those ITs meself......................BUT are you thinking of investing the WHOLE lot in one go,might make sense to spread it over 6-9 months what ever,in case of some "horrible" event making a big plunge in stock markets.That way you stand less chance of being down 20-30 % one year later...............?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,713
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I must admit, in general I prefer drip feeding. Probably because when I started investing I didn't have large wads of cash so had to do it that way.

OP, check the shares held by those trusts on your list. There could be quite a bit of overlap so you could trim down the list.

I've been happy with Witan.
  • I'm not so worried about the pension savings because I won't access the money for 25-35 years, maybe longer so I will invest it in one lump sum.

I will look in to maybe staggering the ISA money though, thanks for the suggestion.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,800
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not so worried about the pension savings because I won't access the money for 25-35 years, maybe longer so I will invest it in one lump sum.

I will look in to maybe staggering the ISA money though, thanks for the suggestion.

Interesting argument, lump sum vs drip feeding.

The key difference is that by drip feeding you are missing out on some income than if you invested lump sum.

Monevator article: http://monevator.com/lump-sum-investing-versus-drip-feeding/
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    oldwally wrote: »
    Just one thought,I have one or two of those ITs meself......................BUT are you thinking of investing the WHOLE lot in one go,might make sense to spread it over 6-9 months what ever,in case of some "horrible" event making a big plunge in stock markets.That way you stand less chance of being down 20-30 % one year later...............?

The Telegraph did some research and trailed a portfolio of investing lump sums at the end of each market crash since the 70's and found this produced better results than drip feeding.

Cheers fj
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport