Invest lump sum in to Investment Trusts

Hello folks,
This is my first post so forgive me if I miss anything out.

My wife has inherited a little bit of money and I have transferred three old pensions in to a SIPP. I am looking to invest both for the long term in investment trusts.

The wife's money is £24,000 to go in to ISAs in her name for £15k, rest in my name
Old pensions £23,000

I've looked at the Buy list on the Which Investment Trust website and here is what I have choose below. I'm just looking for some feedback:
City of London £5k
Finsbury Growth and Income £5k
Lowland £4k
Standard Life Equity Income £5k
Scottish Mortgage £4k
Baillie Gifford Japan Trust £3k
Henderson Diversified Income £6k
DBAG (Deutsche Beteiligungs) £6k
Henderson European Focus £5k
Witan £7k

I'm aiming for long term growth and don't intend to touch the money for 10 years for the ISAs, much longer for the pension money.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Smithy101
    Smithy101 Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2015 at 4:55PM
    Hi Steelman,

Are you saving the ISA money for anything in particular?

Also, whichinvestmenttrust.com have an investment trust seminar on October 7th in London, are you attending that?

My first thoughts are there is nothing wrong with this portfolio, it depends on the level of risk you wish to take. DBAG I know very little about but the remainder of your selection are all good funds some of which I hold myself.
  • Thanks, fast response there. DBAG is a German private equity fund but I like how it's set up because they make their managers invest their money too.

I don't live in London so I didnt think I make the seminar but I think I might be able to. I can't find the email can you tell me how to register?

It was an evening thing from memory, if it's not on too late I can come along?
  • I don't live in London so I didnt think I make the seminar but I think I might be able to. I can't find the email can you tell me how to register?

It was an evening thing from memory, if it's not on too late I can come along?

It starts at 5:30 for 6pm near Liverpool St. You register on Eventbrite which means you need to create an account if you dont have one. There might not be places left, I don't know.

They have some pretty good manager speaking including Alex Crooke from Bankers IT and there's free booze and food which is always nice (I'm a bit of a lush!).

Go here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/whichinvestmenttrustcom-invites-you-to-inside-the-mind-live-tickets-18308805129

Password is investmenttrust

For private equity I like PIP (Pantheon) it's a fund of funds but with good long term performance. Have a look at Pantheon on the AIC website here:
    http://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/B1F33
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    First of all, why investment trusts?

They have some advantages such as income smoothing and the ability to use gearing but mostly they are managed so that can sometimes be a problem - manager makes a few bad calls, change of manager etc.

I hold a few myself, and of the ones you list - City of London, Finsbury and Scottish Mortgage have done well.

It would be worth having a look at some low cost trackers - I like the Vanguard LifeStrategy range - also maybe check out some of the posts on the likes of https://www.monevator.com and https://www.diyinvestoruk.blogspot.co.uk for example. Also try and get hold of Tim Hale's 'Smarter Investing' before you invest all the cash - it will pay in the long run I think.

Good luck!
  • Smithy101 wrote: »
    It starts at 5:30 for 6pm near Liverpool St. You register on Eventbrite which means you need to create an account if you dont have one. There might not be places left, I don't know.

They have some pretty good manager speaking including Alex Crooke from Bankers IT and there's free booze and food which is always nice (I'm a bit of a lush!).

For private equity I like PIP (Pantheon) it's a fund of funds but with good long term performance. Have a look at Pantheon on the AIC website here:

Thanks for the Pantheon suggestion, I'm taking a look at it now.

I registered for the seminar so see you on October 7th. My real name is Bert, look for my name badge and say hello.

I didn't know there was free booze, I can be a bit of a lush too when the wife isn't around ;-)
  • The reason why I've gone for investment trusts is this is long term investing and there is a lot of stats on the AIC website and well and the Which Investment Trust website that compares them to other funds and they usually perform better.

I did think of trackers but I think I feel more comfortable with good fund managers and I think (and hope) they are good.

I tend to think of trackers as being better than the average fund but not better than the best funds.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Smithy101 wrote: »
    and there's free booze and food which is always nice

Red rag for me
    1. if they need to bribe me with food and drink
    2. if investors have to pay for the 'free' booze and drink out of the charges levied on the investments

But each to their own.
  • colsten wrote: »
    Red rag for me
    1. if they need to bribe me with food and drink
    2. if investors have to pay for the 'free' booze and drink out of the charges levied on the investments

But each to their own.

I'm only going to be listening to three fund managers, one I know I quite like, the other two I don't know very well and they're only speaking for 15 mins each.

It's not like they're going to brain wash me and from the few months I've been using Which Investment Trust.com seem like pretty decent guys.

I think they have taken a leaf out of Martin Lewis' book actually, I think he's great, honest and upfront and they're always been the same. Like they tell you explicitly how they get paid and I can't criticise that, plus I think they're research seems like it's independent.

I also really like the Motevator site which has really great stuff too.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,800
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Investment trusts get a big thumbs up from me, I need to check out the monevator website more and that Which IT website :)
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,645
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    CTY or PLI..? I think they both broadly invest in the same areas but CTY charge less and currently have a bigger return??
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure