Can I ask for redundancy if workload has decreased?

I work for a small company and my workload has greatly decreased in the last 2 years.

I’m literally doing next to nothing some days - which is not healthy or good.

Having been there for 10 years and prospects not looking great I would like to move on.

However My boss seems to have his head in the sand and seems content to pay me to do very little. Chances are I reckon the place will go under in a few years - I would rather get out now.

If my role has dwindled so much can I suggest / force my redundancy?

I would like to get something for my 10 years rather than just leave.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You can ask - they can say no
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You can't expect to get a gratuity in the form of redundancy pay just because you have been there 10 years.

If there is still a job for you then you can't be made redundant. If you want to leave then look for another job and resign when you have another job to go to.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Well if my job role and workload has vanished - then I don’t have the job I have been doing for 10 years. My boss is content to pay me to do nothing however - ‘until things pick up’ - maybe never.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    John_Chip wrote: »
    Well if my job role and workload has vanished - then I don’t have the job I have been doing for 10 years. My boss is content to pay me to do nothing however - ‘until things pick up’ - maybe never.
    That's his choice, not yours. You want to leave, then do. You don't get redundancy for wanting to leave. You can suggest it, but he's entitled to say no.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,090 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Seek out a new job while you are in control - rather than having to find one at short notice when the company folds.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well if my job role and workload has vanished - then I don’t have the job I have been doing for 10 years. My boss is content to pay me to do nothing however - ‘until things pick up’ - maybe never.

If your job has "vanished" it is up to your employer whether or not your job is redundant and if he can find a suitable alternative, or is content to keep on paying you, you will not be made redundant. He may not want to lose you.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    You certainly cannot force your employer to make you redundant simply because you don't think you have enough work to do. If the owner is happy to continue to pay you, the only way out is to resign.
  • I am employed to do a job - the role has basically vanished. A worker is made redundant when his or her role no longer exists. I would stay if I still had the work I am employed to do was still there. By not addressing this fact my boss is basically ‘moth balling me’ or - hoping I will leave (out of sheer boredom) instead of having to pay the redundancy pay that 10+ years of employment would necessitate.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am employed to do a job - the role has basically vanished. A worker is made redundant when his or her role no longer exists. I would stay if I still had the work I am employed to do was still there. By not addressing this fact my boss is basically ‘moth balling me’ or - hoping I will leave (out of sheer boredom) instead of having to pay the redundancy pay that 10+ years of employment would necessitate.

It doesn't make economic sense to keep someone on if there is no work. Have you made a business case to your boss that it'd be cheaper to pay you redundancy (statutory between 10 and 15 weeks pay on your info - or voluntary, whatever your company is willing to pay, not necessarily what they've paid to others in the past).

Whilst 15 weeks pay is not to be sniffed at, weigh that against the certainty of a new job, challenges, pay & pension.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I am employed to do a job - the role has basically vanished. A worker is made redundant when his or her role no longer exists. I would stay if I still had the work I am employed to do was still there. By not addressing this fact my boss is basically ‘moth balling me’ or - hoping I will leave (out of sheer boredom) instead of having to pay the redundancy pay that 10+ years of employment would necessitate.
    No. A worker is redundant when their employer says that they don't need the role any longer. Not when you decide they don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure