PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Please let me hold your hand...roll on 2018!

Options

Comments

• AElene
    AElene Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Regarding moving, I think there are companies who literally move everything for you, you don't even need to pack. They come in and pack it all up for you.

Congrats, and I hope you will like it in sunny Essex :) I moved out of the county years ago but still have a few relatives living there, in the commuter belt bit.
  • White_musk
    White_musk Posts: 179 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2017 at 8:10PM
    Options
    AElene wrote: »
    Regarding moving, I think there are companies who literally move everything for you, you don't even need to pack. They come in and pack it all up for you. .

Yes there are, this is what I plan using if the move I'm looking at goes ahead. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the price, a good bit cheaper than I thought it might be. They come in with all the boxes etc, pack up your home, put on the van then unpack at the other end.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • Doody
    Doody Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I don't do FB, as I value my privacy. I much prefer anonymous networks.

Good luck with all your packing and enjoy the move. To answer the point above. As far as privacy goes, FB does not mean you have to bare your soul in public and let the world know any of your details. You could sign up for an account, use a photo of some scene, or a teddy or something for your profile picture and not join any groups except for relevant selling ones. It would be worth it just to help you shift your excess.
    'Get Brexit done' is a lie[
    "Your deal won’t get Brexit done, Mr Johnson. It gets you to the start line, and then the real tough stuff begins"
    Betty Boothroyd
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I sorted out the solicitor and surveyor's initial paperwork yesterday and today spent what I thought would be a productive day working at home. Not least because the usual commute was replaced by a brisk 5 mile walk. How wrong I was...at 3.30pm I stuck the kettle on and nipped out to water the plants n my front garden, to be confronted by an unwanted visitor "just passing through". They refused to join me for a cuppa but made a point of telling me how just dreadful I look. I looked around me with fresh eyes when I came back in and realised I'd had a lucky escape: my home would also look dreadful to an outsider, on account of the many sorting "works in progress". Well all actual work came to a grinding halt after that. I stuck the radio on for 90 minutes and did a load of Kondo-ing to at least make the house look a bit more presentable. After that I have been glued to MSE.

Am going to have a hot shower and pick up work where I left off, not an ideal way to spend my evening but at least I feel less stressed now.

Re: crafting - yes, its called the shed and it is choccer so adds rather than detracts from my logistics :o
    Regarding moving, I think there are companies who literally move everything for you, you don't even need to pack. They come in and pack it all up for you.

Congrats, and I hope you will like it in sunny Essex :) I moved out of the county years ago but still have a few relatives living there, in the commuter belt bit.
    Much as I don't want to admit it, the issue for me is now the cost, I'm stretched out thinner that Looby-Lou for the foreseebale :o . I'm still (reasonably!) young and certainly fit enough to pack and lift so it is about being organised more than anything else. Can't wait to get back to Essex. I can't claim it as the land of my fore-fathers but I was born and raised there :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow. Turns up in your garden and insults you. Just what anyone needs. :mad:

Depends on your layout, but: would keeping one room "company ready" for the duration of the packing help you in 2 ways.
    1) you don't have to live like a hermit if folks do pop round unexpectedly;
    2) You have a refuge!

And if you have space for a sorting room, even better.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options

I had a neighbour who had this service as part of her husband's 'company move'. They emptied the entire contents of drawers and would expect to put them back into the new drawer.
    Fast forward 35 years, and her 'bottom kitchen drawer'contains exactly the same stuff as when it was moved!
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Ok sorry VfM4meplse but someone has to be the brave one.... (gulps)

HAVE YOU DONE YOUR TAX RETURN YET???

Intended me dear, as a friendly nag..... (friendly grin - wags tail??)

tell you what, as soon as Im home next week (Wednesday) I ll let you know how mine progresses and we can encourage each other.

Take care, keep going and chin up, mate.
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Some thoughts:

1. Is your new home in any kind of controlled parking zone? Are their lines on the road where your removal van(s) etc will have to stop? Check and talk to the council in the new area if so.

2. Check your 'get-in' at the new property, this was the term we used when I toured with a theatrical company. Some get-ins are a nightmare. Try to have as few steps as possible between where the vehicle will stop and the door the chattels will be carted through. Even an extra 10 feet will be multiplied tiresomely over the course of the unloading.

3. As well as measuring the new rooms to check that any furniture/ appliances will fit, measure the doors they will have to go through to reach those rooms. Sometimes, they won't fit, and you don't want to be finding that out on the day. Sometimes, there will have to be a sharp angle to get from a hallway into a room and the piece won't go around it. Also watch out for dropped ceilings over stairwells, as these can prevent large things like wardrobes going up. And, if you have built large flat-pack furniture in your current home, it might not fit on the way out.

All this sounds a bit tweaky, but I have spent time on the lower end of a wardrobe, with the sweating owner on the top as we tried to get it up her new stairs, among many other escapades. It gets old quickly.

Oh, and also watch out for things like gate posts/ pillars which can restrict the passage of large items into or out of homes.

:o I've hestitated to post this last bit, for fear of giving offence, as some of you many work yourself, or know people, in the removals business. But I feel I should mention it.

Most people I know who have had professional removers pack and move them have had stuff disappear. Not vast amounts, one or so item per move, the kind of stuff which shares the following qualities; smallish, untraceable, relatively valuable but not the kind of thing you'd think to take especial security measures over, and the kind of things which wouldn't be among the first things missed. Examples include antique mirrors, stamp albums, things of that ilk.

Sooo, be careful.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My first bin day since the news! I normally have half a carrier-bag full of waste every week, this morning it was closer to half a black sack (merged in with a neighbour's, naturally :)) - mucho satisfaction! Included 2 pairs of shoes which have been worn to death and I realised when walking in the rain had developed holes in the soles.

All advice bring carefully noted, not ignored. There's value in it all!

Re: TR - of course I haven't :o . I have boiled it down and it's actually the study that is going to take the longest to sort out and clear.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Most people I know who have had professional removers pack and move them have had stuff disappear. Not vast amounts, one or so item per move, the kind of stuff which shares the following qualities; smallish, untraceable, relatively valuable but not the kind of thing you'd think to take especial security measures over, and the kind of things which wouldn't be among the first things missed. Examples include antique mirrors, stamp albums, things of that ilk.

Sooo, be careful.

That is exactly what I was thinking wrt my own move, hence am prepared to pack everything myself and thanks to MK, I can do it. I look around me and all I would need are the boxes, bubble wrap and tape and I will also mobilise friends to help me to be watchful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure