PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

should i have been offered the freehold

2»

Comments

• zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sooz wrote:
    solicitor is a t##t and won't even respond to my letters, and hangs up on me on the phone

what should i do?

Instruct your own solicitor to write to their solicitor.

Their solicitor is not under any obligation to speak to you, they ARE under an obligation to carry out their client's instructions. Also if you have a solicitor who has already made some contact on your behalf (letter or phone call) then they would be in breach of the law society rules, as one solicitor may not talk to another solicitor's client. However, they are obliged to respond to enquiries from another solicitor.

Really, if you wish to pursue this, you are going to have to see a solicitor, get legal advice on what to do next, and instruct them to get on and do it.

Unfortunately solicitors cost money........
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck with this sooz, I hope you get your freehold and the old moo gets her comeuppance somehow!

Been thinking about the dress code for our 'crusade' club; I think I need a new pair of shoes!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    ok, thanks for your help. i was hoping i would not have to involve my solicitor, but guess i will have to. better start saving for his fees.

any chance this would be covered by the legal part of my household insurance, or the household insurance on the rental flat?

i had spoken to my solicitor, but only to ask his advice, not to instruct him to act.

also, further prob is that in a couple of weeks [maybe longer] the building becomes a licensable hmo - 4 rented flats in 1 converted pre 1991 building with communal entrance. freeholder and their agent have told me to ...well you know.

checked with the council and of course i'm right! so need the old/new freeholder to appoint a 'fit and proper' person to apply for the licence. [think i might challenge if they offer themselves up as 'fit and proper']

anyone else having self-contained flats becoming hmos? :mad:

doozer - might extend the dress code to high heeled boots, as it's getting cold now.

off to check my insurance small print [get out the magnifying glasses] and call some solicitors.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport