Warning: Parents with 2+ children who’ll go to uni, SAVE NOW, the system’s biased aga

2»

Comments

• ditto see my post above and if you dont have the means tested loan you dont get any travel grant
  • When I was at uni years ago my parents had a good income so I didn’t qualify for a loan or grant but my parents wouldn’t give me any financial help so I just had to struggle, work multiple jobs etc. This has always been an issue if parents are unable or unwilling to help. Having 2 or more kids at uni at the same time is clearly really tricky but even if there’s an age gap parents will still be expected to fork out, the pain will just be dragged out longer instead. Government needs to decide if over 18s are “independent adults” able to sign up for a lifetime of debt, or “dependent children” relying on bank of mum and dad, at the moment it’s whatever suits at the time and I agree it isn’t made clear to students or their parents.
  • Thank you for this. With an income of £30000, and two gone to uni this year, with two still at home (one goes next year) - we actually have to top up by £1200 (i.e. £600 each) - a bit more than you suggest. The so-called 'allowance' is a scandal - and of course it typically comes at a time when child benefit is also lost - making an even bigger gap in income-expenditure. I don't know who did the sums, but they make no sense for anyone with more than one child.
    I think this is something that schools should be making parents aware of from Y7 onwards.
    Also - our income had reduced drastically from the year they used to calculate the initial amount (owing to spouse's ill health - can easily happen at this age)- it took a bit of hunting around to find that we could submit 'potential' figures and be assessed on those instead.
    Frankly if it weren't for a legacy, we would be having to say 'you must work' or suggest cheaper alternatives - one child does have a part time job already, but the second is just on short commons with hall fees of well over £7k [not London] and a long expensive journey home.
  • Mom_of_3
    Mom_of_3 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2017 at 7:59PM
    My eldest son has just started university. His maintenance loan is less than his rent, hence we are paying his rent for him, and letting him use the loan to live on. When means testing parents why is our expenditure not taken into account? Mortgage repayments, car loans etc eat vastly into most peoples salaries yet these are not touched on - just the amount you earn. It worries me that for 2 years I will have to do this for 2 children together. In total if all 3 go to uni, which they could do, and they all cost me what the first year has cost, I will have paid £48 000 at the end of it all. By this point my husband will be 63 - and the government would also like us to be making adequate provision for our retirement. It just doesn’t all add up.
    Incidentally, my son is living in a University owned flat and on a corridor with 8 others. They share 3 toilets/ showers, and 1 kitchen, and the bedroom is basic, no wash basin or even carpet on the floor. Between the 9 of them the university collects £4602 in monthly rent. This is way over the top compared to private rental prices. I can’t even say it was well maintained when he moved in - paint peeling off the wall in places and dirty to add insult to injury.
  • Get them to go University abroad. I have two children both in their final year and started saving when they were born along with grandparents help. One at a UK university has a debt of £40k ish, the other in Holland will come out with none. I have to pay everything as she gets nothing from our government but fees are only €1.8k per year. As an older parent I am having to work beyond 65, currently paying out £1k per month and used up all those savings but reckon it will be worth it. Of course it depends on how old your children are now, what fees will be in the future and the terms of Brexit on whether any of this will be useful or not!
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Ok ladies and gentlemen any advice greatly appreciated. 5 kidsall atuni at the same time!
    We have 5 of our off spring who clearly did not take after their parent with no qualifications.
    Eldest child in usa doing a PHD
    2 other daughters doing degrees in usa
    1 son at manchester and another daughter starting in sept.
    Yes its cheaper in the states and one of our daughters has a scholarship 50% off tuition fees.
    All of our money goes to assist. The kids ALL work in summer to contribute towards uni.
    Would we be entitled to any assistance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport